In Florida, my recommendation for a radar detector is the Uniden R1 over the Uniden R7, Valentine 1, Valentine 1 Gen.2 , Radenso, etc.

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Florida outlawed X band long ago.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
I am in South Florida for a while, tons of KA on 95, but just yesterday I would of been clipped twice if I had K turned off! Got off 95 drove across Atlantic in Delray beach to A1A, just past Gulf Stream County Club a local cop was in the weeds running K, luckily for me my Max 360ci picked him up with plenty of warning and I didn't blow it off thinking it was one of those your speed is signs... Latter that day different section of A1A Boca PD had a similar hidden set up... So while K band is limited, at least in Souther Florida having it off could be costly!

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would definitely leave K band on, it's used in st lucie, martin, palm beach counties (by the locals and county sheriff's) and I ran into it in Oviedo as well. it's been on the rise, you can run Kband in advanced mode with 40-50% sensitivity and K filter on. If you do segment, I would say 2,4,5,6,8 or at minimum 2,5,6,8 I have personally encountered FHP with segment 6 in Martin county, and I also saw one up west of the orlando area that was segment 6. I run the R1 myself, and it's a solid unit. I have TSF on, B block on, K wide (martin county has one K band that is outside of narrow on the low side) and in advanced mode at 50% it's not that chatty on the highway. Outside of this area you could probably go K narrow and avoid some of the Cadillac and GM falses that are in the 24.062 area. If you dont run laser protection you can leave it on, but dont expect much, Even with ALP returning fire, my R1 only has caught about 30-40% of direct hits though I have it mounted high... FHP uses aircraft as well,
considering the volume of tickets dealt with in the OP’s area alone the speed enforcement business is clearly a HUGE racket lol

wade001

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Florida outlawed X band long ago.
just wondering if you could elaborate on this a little.

when you say "outlawed", did florida actually pass a law that prohibits its officers from using X-band radar? or officers/depts just typically dont use because its old?

thanks

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
15B-2.013 Approved Speed Measuring Devices.

The following speed measuring devices have been approved for use in this State by the Department pursuant to this rule chapter.

(1) Radar units acquired for use in this State after August 1, 1982, are listed below. Additional radar units will be approved by the Department based on conformance to these rules. Evidence of approval of additional units shall be by a Certificate of Approval Form HSMV 60013 (Rev. 7/03) (http://www.flrules.org/Gateway/reference.asp?No=Ref-01722), which is available by contacting the Florida Highway Patrol, Neil Kirkman Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0500, or by disseminating the listing of additional units on the Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC) computer system, or by listing on the Division of Florida Highway Patrol website.

(a) Applied Concepts, Inc., formerly known as Applied Concepts Marketing:

1. Model STALKER;

2. Model STALKER DUAL;

3. Model STALKER DUAL SL;

4. Model STALKER DUAL DSR;

5. Model STALKER BASIC – stationary and moving;

6. Model DSR2X;

7. Model STALKER II MDR;

8. Model STALKER II SDR; and,

9. Stalker Patrol.

(b) Broderick Enforcement Electronic – Model BEE-36.

(c) Decatur Electronics, Inc.:

1. Model MVF 724;

2. Model KF-1;

3. Model Genesis I;

4. Model Genesis II;

5. Genesis Handheld;

6. Model Genesis VP;

7. Model Genesis VP Directional;

8. Genesis GHD (Handheld Directional);

9. Genesis II – Select;

10. Genesis II – Directional; and,

11. Scout.

(d) Kustom Electronics, Inc., or Kustom Signals, Inc.:

1. Model KR-10SP-F, Model KR-10SP;

2. Model FALCON-F, Model FALCON;

3. Model TROOPER-F, Model TROOPER;

4. Model HAWK;

5. Model PRO-1000, Model PRO-1000DS;

6. Model Eagle K-Band;

7. Model Eagle KA-Band;

8. Model Eagle Plus K-Band;

9. Model Eagle Plus KA-Band;

10. Model Silver Eagle K-Band;

11. Model Silver Eagle KA-Band;

12. Model Golden Eagle K-Band;

13. Model Golden Eagle KA-Band;

14. Model Golden Eagle Plus KA-Band;

15. Model HR-12;

16. Model Talon;

17. Directional Golden Eagle KA-Band;

18. Golden Eagle Plus;

19. Eagle II Plus – DCM Antenna;

20. Eagle II – DCM Antenna;

21. Golden Eagle II – DCM Antenna;

22. Directional Golden Eagle II – DCM Antenna;

23. Talon II;

24. Eagle II Plus Ka;

25. Eagle II Ka;

26. Golden Eagle II Ka;

27. Falcon – HR – Stationary;

28. Falcon – HR – Moving;

29. Talon – Directional; and

30. Raptor RP-1.

(e) McCoy’s LAWLINE Speed Trak Elite K, Ka and Elite KD (directional).

(f) M.P.H. Industries, Inc., or CMI/MPH or CMI/MPH Industries, Inc.:

1. Model K-15K “1986 Model,” Model K-15, Model K-15 II;

2. Model MPH Speedgun (K-BAND);

3. Model K-55K; Model BEE-36;

4. Model Bee III;

5. Model Enforcer;

6. Model Python;

7. Model Z-15;

8. Model Z-25;

9. Model Z-35;

10. Model Python III – Standard;

11. Model Python III – Fastest Speed, Same Direction; and,

12. Ranger EZ.

(g) Tribar Industries, Inc.:

1. Model MDR-2; and,

2. Model K-GP.

(2) Average Speed Calculators (ASC):

(a) Federal Sign and Signal Corp. – VASCAR II;

(b) Kustom Electronics, Inc., or Kustom Signals, Inc. – Model Tracker; and,

(c) Traffic Safety Systems, Inc. – VASCAR-Plus.

(3) Speedometers – All mechanical or electronic motor vehicle speedometers having certified calibration pursuant to these rules.

(4) Stopwatches – All stopwatches certified pursuant to subsection 15B-2.008(4), and Rule 15B-2.012, F.A.C. The following stopwatches are approved for use in this State when they have been tested according to this rule chapter. The absence on this list of other stopwatches used by other law enforcement agencies or the Florida Highway Patrol does not preclude their use when they have been properly tested.

Brand Name Model Number

(a) Casio HS-10W

(b) Timex Quartz Timer None

(c) Heuer 1000

(d) Heuer 1010

(e) Seiko S022-5009

(f) Accusplit 620-CT

(g) Minerva Manual Timer None

(h) Seiko 87-0019G

(i) Aristo Apollo

(j) Lorus W903

(k) Marshall Browning International Corp. Robic Acutrak SC-800

(5) Laser speed measuring devices (LSMD) – Evidence of approved LSMD shall be by a certificate or listing on the FCIC computer, or by a listing on the Division of Florida Highway Patrol website, as set forth in subsection (1) of this rule. In addition, the following LSMDs are approved for use in this State:

(a) Kustom Electronics, Inc., or Kustom Signals, Inc. – Model ProLaser II; Model ProLaser III; Pro-Lite Plus; Model ProLaser 4;

(b) Laser Technology, Inc. – Model Marksman/LTI 20-20, Model Ultralyte LTI 20/20 Lidar, Model Ultralyte 100LR and 200LR, Model Ultralyte LRB; Model LTI 20/20 TruSpeed; Model LTI 20/20 TruSpeed S;

(c) Applied Concepts, Inc. – Model Stalker Lidar; Stalker LR;

(d) Laser Atlanta Optics, Inc. or Laser Atlanta, LLC – Model Speed Laser, Model Speed Laser B Model Speed Laser R, Model Speed Laser S; and,

(e) DragonEye Technology, LLC – Laser Ally.

Rulemaking Authority 316.1905 FS. Law Implemented 316.1905, 316.1906 FS. History–New 1-1-90, Amended 11-16-92, 10-18-94, 10-2-95, 5-23-04, 1-1-09, 6-6-10, 11-15-12.

wade001

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
thanks, this will do nicely
Post automatically merged:

so, for my curiosity, i did a quick search for each radar based device listed by Rule 15B-2.013 and i came up with the following:
(a) Applied Concepts, Inc., formerly known as Applied Concepts Marketing:
1. Model STALKER;
2. Model STALKER DUAL; K-band and Ka-band
3. Model STALKER DUAL SL; Ka-band
4. Model STALKER DUAL DSR; Ka-band
5. Model STALKER BASIC – stationary and moving; K-band
6. Model DSR2X; Ka-band
7. Model STALKER II MDR; Ka-band
8. Model STALKER II SDR; Ka-band
9. Stalker Patrol. K-band

(b) Broderick Enforcement Electronic – Model BEE-36. X-band K-band, and Ka-band

(c) Decatur Electronics, Inc.:
1. Model MVF 724;
2. Model KF-1;

3. Model Genesis I; K-band
4. Model Genesis II; K-band, and Ka-band
5. Genesis Handheld; K-band and Ka-band
6. Model Genesis VP; K-band
7. Model Genesis VP Directional; K-band and Ka-band
8. Genesis GHD (Handheld Directional); K-band
9. Genesis II – Select; K-band and Ka-band
10. Genesis II – Directional; K-band and Ka-band
11. Scout. K-band

(d) Kustom Electronics, Inc., or Kustom Signals, Inc.:
1. Model KR-10SP-F, Model KR-10SP; X-band and K-band
2. Model FALCON-F, Model FALCON; K-band
3. Model TROOPER-F, Model TROOPER; X-band and K-band
4. Model HAWK; X-band and K-band
5. Model PRO-1000, Model PRO-1000DS; K-band (pro-1000) X-band and K-band (pro-1000ds)
6. Model Eagle K-Band; K-band
7. Model Eagle KA-Band; Ka-band
8. Model Eagle Plus K-Band; K-band
9. Model Eagle Plus KA-Band; Ka-band
10. Model Silver Eagle K-Band; K-band
11. Model Silver Eagle KA-Band; Ka-band
12. Model Golden Eagle K-Band; K-band
13. Model Golden Eagle KA-Band; Ka-band
14. Model Golden Eagle Plus KA-Band; Ka-band
15. Model HR-12; K-band
16. Model Talon; Ka-band
17. Directional Golden Eagle KA-Band; Ka-band
18. Golden Eagle Plus;
19. Eagle II Plus – DCM Antenna; K-band and Ka-band
20. Eagle II – DCM Antenna; K-band and Ka-band
21. Golden Eagle II – DCM Antenna; K-band and Ka-band
22. Directional Golden Eagle II – DCM Antenna; Ka-band
23. Talon II; Ka-band
24. Eagle II Plus Ka; Ka-band
25. Eagle II Ka; K-band
26. Golden Eagle II Ka; Ka-band
27. Falcon – HR – Stationary; K-band
28. Falcon – HR – Moving; K-band
29. Talon – Directional; Ka-band
30. Raptor RP-1. K-band

(e) McCoy’s LAWLINE Speed Trak Elite K, Ka and Elite KD (directional). K-band, Ka-band and K-band (respectively)

(f) M.P.H. Industries, Inc., or CMI/MPH or CMI/MPH Industries, Inc.:
1. Model K-15K “1986 Model,” Model K-15, Model K-15 II; K-band (k-15k), X-band and K-band (k-15), K-band (k-15 II)
2. Model MPH Speedgun (K-BAND); K-band
3. Model K-55K; Model BEE-36; K-band (k-55k), X-band, K-band, and Ka-band (bee 36)
4. Model Bee III; K-band and Ka-band
5. Model Enforcer; K-band and Ka-band
6. Model Python; X-band, K-band, and Ka-band
7. Model Z-15; K-band (24.125 GHz)
8. Model Z-25; K-band (24.125 GHz)
9. Model Z-35; K-band (24.125 GHz)
10. Model Python III – Standard; K-band
11. Model Python III – Fastest Speed, Same Direction;
12. Ranger EZ.

(g) Tribar Industries, Inc.:
1. Model MDR-2; and,
2. Model K-GP. K-band

this at least helps me visualize the capabilities of the hardware that could be out there. very few models are listed as capable of X-band. while lots more K-band and Ka-band. this of course goes along with what i have already read numerous times, but just helps me put it into perspective and understanding in my head..

Last edited:

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Background:
I have represented drivers in over 500 traffic cases during the first quarter of 2020 alone. During that time I have compiled the location, speed measuring device, actual speed and speed limit from hundreds of Uniform Traffic Citations in Florida.

These are my conclusions:
1. In regards to location, FHP (State Troopers) find honey pot locations and stick with them. For example: On the interstate, where trees in the median obscure a driver's line of sight, they sit and wait.80% of a Trooper's ticket book is from the identical location. Also most troopers I know attempt to write 2400 tickets per year.
2. In regards to location, SO (Deputies) and PD (Police) primarily enforce speed limit decreases and wait for an inattentive driver to not slow down while entering a municipality. Sheriff Deputies and Police Officers write far fewer tickets than State Troopers since they are tasked with other duties, unless they are on the motors division, mostly motorcycle cops.
3. In regards to speed measuring devices, Ka Band at 34.7Ghz is King. There is some laser from motorcycle cops. I have not seen K band in Florida in some time. I have seen pacing, but no VASCAR and no airplanes.
4. 15+PSL is the place where speeding tickets begin to be written from non-FHP; 18+PSL for FHP. The UTC might say 79 in a 70. But lower in the citation you will see the actual speed is 88mph+.
5. Finally, less than 2% of all citations indicate that the officer recorded speed while behind the vehicle. They prefer you driving towards them.

My recommendation for a radar detector:
Uniden R1 for $200 on Amazon. Turn off Laser, X-band, K-Band, K-Pop, MRCD, Ka-PoP, and KA Filter. Turn on Ka Segmentation.
You will have no BSM filtering issues since K band is off. The Uniden R1 has the longest 34.7Ghz of any radar detector. Also cops rarely, if ever, radar a car initially from behind, so arrows are not as important as you think and front radar sensitivity is key.

My recommendation for PSL+speeds.
With a Uniden R1, you may drive at PSL+14mph very comfortably.
If you need PSL+15 to PSL+29, then follow a rabbit and do so where LEOs have not enforced speed in the past.
Never drive PSL+30. They requires a mandatory court appearance and you have a high chance that points will be assessed. At that speed, cops will not give you a break.

Any questions?
Lol
There is k band right here in port St lucie.
There'd vascar here too. Though more vascar used in palm beach county.
Your information is wrong and Laser is used everywhere in Florida. And I've seen fhp using k band. Although mostly ka and laser. Port St lucie uses a lot of k band. And ka and laser

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Radar detectors are poor laser detectors. Yes, Port St. Lucie Leos run K-Band. There is no reason to stop in Port St. Lucie. I suggest keep on driving. Turn on K-band in St. Lucie county or drive 9 over. I stand by my assessment.

Coastal

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Background:
I have represented drivers in over 500 traffic cases during the first quarter of 2020 alone. During that time I have compiled the location, speed measuring device, actual speed and speed limit from hundreds of Uniform Traffic Citations in Florida.

1. In regards to location, FHP (State Troopers) find honey pot locations and stick with them. For example: On the interstate, where trees in the median obscure a driver's line of sight, they sit and wait.80% of a Trooper's ticket book is from the identical location. Also most troopers I know attempt to write 2400 tickets per year.
2. In regards to location, SO (Deputies) and PD (Police) primarily enforce speed limit decreases and wait for an inattentive driver to not slow down while entering a municipality. Sheriff Deputies and Police Officers write far fewer tickets than State Troopers since they are tasked with other duties, unless they are on the motors division, mostly motorcycle cops.
3. In regards to speed measuring devices, Ka Band at 34.7Ghz is King. There is some laser from motorcycle cops. I have not seen K band in Florida in some time. I have seen pacing, but no VASCAR and no airplanes.
4. 15+PSL is the place where speeding tickets begin to be written from non-FHP; 18+PSL for FHP. The UTC might say 79 in a 70. But lower in the citation you will see the actual speed is 88mph+.
5. Finally, less than 2% of all citations indicate that the officer recorded speed while behind the vehicle. They prefer you driving towards them.

Uniden R1 for $200 on Amazon. Turn off Laser, X-band, K-Band, K-Pop, MRCD, Ka-PoP, and KA Filter. Turn on Ka Segmentation.
You will have no BSM filtering issues since K band is off. The Uniden R1 has the longest 34.7Ghz of any radar detector. Also cops rarely, if ever, radar a car initially from behind, so arrows are not as important as you think and front radar sensitivity is key.

If you need PSL+15 to PSL+29, then follow a rabbit and do so where LEOs have not enforced speed in the past.
Never drive PSL+30. They requires a mandatory court appearance and you have a high chance that points will be assessed. At that speed, cops will not give you a break.

Any questions?

Regardless if everyone else agrees or not, the info is much appreciated. I see where you recommendation would cover the majority of encounters in the area you mention. Thanks for the contribution.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Background:

Any questions?
You do not want to turn K Band off in FL at all Pasco County uses K Band Herndo uses K Band as does Orange and Seminole run K Band still so I would definitely not shut K Band off if your on I4 or I95 or I75 it's all FHP but the toll roads and stuff are all Local PD and sheriff's who use K Band and I find my Redline 360c and my R7 filtering them out and my R7 picks up Pasco County as MRCD sometimes so I would not shut K Band off at all in FL

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You do not want to turn K Band off in FL at all Pasco County uses K Band Herndo uses K Band as does Orange and Seminole run K Band still so I would definitely not shut K Band off if your on I4 or I95 or I75 it's all FHP but the toll roads and stuff are all Local PD and sheriff's who use K Band and I find my Redline 360c and my R7 filtering them out and my R7 picks up Pasco County as MRCD sometimes so I would not shut K Band off at all in FL
Interesting... I’ve paid no attention to K band over here on the west coast, but I might have to now. Don’t frequent those areas, but I’m sure that I will at some point. Thank you 🙏

DrCoke

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks OP for the information and it lines up with mine. In south florida both my rides has a V1 + LI with only KA band on. Been using this combo for over 5 years and here’s my reasoning.
Radar detectors 5 years ago had poor K filter and would go off every 5 minutes. I really only have a lead foot on the interstate in open areas so primary bears are FHP running KA and lidar.
I don’t go over 30 as it’s pretty much jail time. Open road on interstate like Turnpike and I-95 has speed limit of 70. I would rarely sustain speed greater than +15 without a rabbit. This is a cat/mouse game and cat always win in the long run.
Regarding R1 recommended, I’ll somewhat agree. Better to recommend something affordable that works than something too expensive for most. Would you buy a blood pressure med for $10 that works well, or $500 for a similar med that’s slightly better? Money is relative. Heck I’ll recommend the old trusty escort X50 off eBay/CL for $50.

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just a brief update on my recommendation.
Uniden R1 for $185
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VRKTKS/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20
My recommendation is for North and Central Florida. Everything on the I-4 corridor north from the Georgia boarder including I-75 to Tampa and I-95 to Melbourne.
In approximately 6380 traffic citations, I have yet to identify any X-Band or K-Band or MRCD citation.
However, Laser citations are running about 35%, Ka-Band citations about 50%, and Pace citations about 15%.
Any radar detector alone, without waze or ALP laser jammers will only be effective half the time.
Even with ALP, you can be caught via Pace and Aircraft.
That is where PSL+14 comes in.
On the interstate, I rarely see a citation with actual speed of under PSL+15.
In the city, I have begun to see more PSL +12 citations by local PD.

K-band is the devil. All of your false alerts arrive on this band. By turning K-band off, your attention will be alerted by actual radar. The radar crying wolf frequently will cause the average driver to ignore the radar.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you @Disconnected !

Sage advice from real world experience drawn from the approximately 6380 traffic citations you have defended in North and Central Florida. We absolutely appreciate your insight.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man