RD test - an utility for testing radar detectors and more

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
When you go to settings and enter coordinates: the comma has been typed as ".", e.g. 12.345. After clicking "ok" the number is shown as "12,345" with a "," as comma.

But when you type in "12,345" it gives back a "invalid values" message.

This could be somehow confusing for users.

Maybe this is also an Android setting, how numbers have to be defined.
Oh, I think that is due to regional settings in countries using comma for decimal separation. I'll fix this in the next update.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
There have been two updates since v1.1, just want to share what has changed

v1.2
- Added an option to disable GPS position extrapolation. It is needed to properly work with high-frequency GPS receivers.
- No need to restart the application after toggling the "unprocessed" audio recording mode.
- Fixed display for systems with very large font set.
- Added a visual indicator for current sound level on the settings page.
- Displayed an app version number on the settings page.

v1.3
- Added an option to clear the entire history
- Added protection against accidental change of the reference location
- Moved action buttons to the top bar
- Fixed issues with floating point numbers on non-US locales

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks again!
This is so awesome, I can just pull over for impromptu testing at opportune times it's so fast to set up and use!
:thumbsup:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! I appreciate those changes and updates. :)

gorgid

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
And another little update (v1.4) -- I've added an ability to record the longest activation distance instead of the first one. This doesn't change anything for normal testing (an RD car moving towards the radar). However, it allows for the rear detection testing (an RD car moving away from the radar). It is still possible to revert to the original mode on the settings page.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
And another little update (v1.4) -- I've added an ability to record the longest activation distance instead of the first one. This doesn't change anything for normal testing (an RD car moving towards the radar). However, it allows for the rear detection testing (an RD car moving away from the radar). It is still possible to revert to the original mode on the settings page.
Awesome change! Thank you!

I'm about to go out and do a quick Spectre test with the help of the app. :)

I don't think we have a dedicated feature request / feedback thread, so I can just make a quick post here.

I'm trying to clear out the planned tests list from last time, but hitting the Discard option doesn't clear them. It's also a little tricky to select a block of text to delete or copy/paste. Not sure why.

Could you also explain the GPS Extrapolation option? I'm not sure when we'd want to have it on or off.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I'm trying to clear out the planned tests list from last time, but hitting the Discard option doesn't clear them. It's also a little tricky to select a block of text to delete or copy/paste. Not sure why.
I think I'll add a bulk delete option in the future

Could you also explain the GPS Extrapolation option? I'm not sure when we'd want to have it on or off.
This is to make the distance update faster on the screen, so it looks nice on the video. The app will predict where you are even before obtaining the next GPS fix, based on the past GPS data. So the numbers will update 5 times per second, while your GPS chip is only capable of issuing an update once per second. This option doesn't affect the data recorded, it only makes the screen look nicer.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'll add a bulk delete option in the future
Awesome, thank you. :)

This is to make the distance update faster on the screen, so it looks nice on the video. The app will predict where you are even before obtaining the next GPS fix, based on the past GPS data. So the numbers will update 5 times per second, while your GPS chip is only capable of issuing an update once per second. This option doesn't affect the data recorded, it only makes the screen look nicer.
Oh nice, I'll try it out then. When you mention in the app that it affects the phone display, I wasn't sure if it affected the distance that gets locked on screen after an activation.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Oh nice, I'll try it out then. When you mention in the app that it affects the phone display, I wasn't sure if it affected the distance that gets locked on screen after an activation.
It affects the current distance only. The lock distance is computed with a slightly more sophisticated algorithm, which makes it very precise. The lock distance doesn't depend on the extrapolation preference.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It affects the current distance only. The lock distance is computed with a slightly more sophisticated algorithm, which makes it very precise. The lock distance doesn't depend on the extrapolation preference.
Perfect, thank you!

Do you have a recommendation for a USB mic you can link us to? I ran into the same issue again where sometimes the internal mic works great (registers around 10'ish for a beep) while other times it barely does anything (registers around 2 for the same beep) without touching or changing anything so sometimes the mic becomes unusable to register over road noise.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Perfect, thank you!

Do you have a recommendation for a USB mic you can link us to? I ran into the same issue again where sometimes the internal mic works great (registers around 10'ish for a beep) while other times it barely does anything (registers around 2 for the same beep) without touching or changing anything so sometimes the mic becomes unusable to register over road noise.
I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081CSCNRF/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
A microphone!
Never occured to me, I could use one for the motorcycle and wire right next to the speaker.
Then I can raise the RD Test trigger levels higher to cut out bike, wind and road noise.
Cool.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrappy281