RD test - an utility for testing radar detectors and more

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
As many of you may have noticed, @Vortex was using a new application for conducting his recent "V2G2 vs. others" testing. Today I'm publishing this app, so everyone can take advantage of using it.

The goal of the application is to automate as much of the radar detectors testing process as possible, including (but not limited to) capturing activation range, exporting data, syncing videos from different cameras, and keeping the test plan.

The app by its nature is quite simple: it listens to the microphone, detects the "beeps" from an RD, and saves timings for those beeps along with GPS fix positions. The data recorded by the app is supposed to be further processed on a computer. All the data is snapped to the timeline, which allows combining data from multiple phones later (e.g., for capturing the kill zone distance).

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highwayradar.rdtest
Quick-start guide: https://rdtest.highwayradar.com/rdtest_manual.pdf

Please also note that if you installed the application from an APK before it was published on Play Store, you have to uninstall it first before installing it from the Play Store.

And finally, I want to say big thanks to @Vortex for taking the risk of being the very first tester of this application. It made the app much better.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank YOU for building an app specifically for us testers! This was AMAZING to use for the new V1 test and will make things so much easier for everyone else who also enjoys doing RD testing. :)

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a tester myself but amazing app and great idea. Thanks for releasing such a helpful app that will benefit a lot of us going forward! :drinking:

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Fantastic!

Many thanks

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This may be useful for those who search out speedtraps and try to gauge detection range,,, (@thebravo)

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks @ferius ! This is going to save us a veritable crapload of time!

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you @ferius! Can't wait to try it out. @Jag42
Post automatically merged:

BTW, when is the video tutorial from @Vortex coming on how to use it? lol

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@ferius - what's the likelihood of the app working well if you don't have an external mic hooked up? It looks to me like you and @Vortex were using one, correct?

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
@ferius - what's the likelihood of the app working well if you don't have an external mic hooked up? It looks to me like you and @Vortex were using one, correct?
Depends on the phone.
Use the phone with the recent Android, place it closer to the RD, make RD beeps loud, be quiet in the car and I think it should work.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Better to ask @Vortex about it :)
haha I'll do one eventually, but I'd like to focus on some other videos first, plus my productivity is way down with the whole COVID-19 thing... so I don't have any timeline for when I'll have the video done.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
haha I'll do one eventually, but I'd like to focus on some other videos first, plus my productivity is way down with the whole COVID-19 thing... so I don't have any timeline for when I'll have the video done.
Thanks. No problem, now that I have it loaded on my phone and am playing around with it while reading through ferius' manual, I'm getting the hang of most of the App part of it anyway. :)

nano

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the app "trained" to specific RD alerts or does it recognise the amplitude of the volume?

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is the app "trained" to specific RD alerts or does it recognise the amplitude of the volume?
It just recognizes general "beeps". It performs some filtering to highlight any beeps and then measures the amplitude of the filtered sound.

F87SOURCE

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just watched @Vortex's video and was about to inquire about this app, but wow it is really nice! Good job ferius.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef