RaggedEdge

RDForum owner and Rdtalk.org Founder
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Admin
So, I got my new V1G2, seems to be working fine, but the display is weird. When I get an alert, the bogey counter and arrows have bleed-through. The 1 looks like a 7, the 2 looks like, I don't know what. 3 is perfectly clear, 4 looks like 9, etc. Here are some pictures:

One Bogey:
20200319_125004.jpg

Two Bogeys:
20200319_124917.jpg

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'd call Valentine and get a return label. Mine doesn't do that at all. Seems like a new issue as I've only seen the "won't power on" issue so far around here.

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I recall from the MV interview, there's some sort of LED holographic diffuser layer over the display. Looks like yours is separating. :(

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it mostly the bogey counter or is the signal strength meter distorted?

on the bottom photo look at the third signal strength bar up from bottom; - this may be an action shot but it looks thinner and not as thick as the bottom 2

typos fixed

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Is it mostly the bogey counter or is the signal strength meter distorted?

on the bottom photo look at the third bar of strength for your bar up from the bottom- this may be an action shot but it looks thinner and not as thick as the bottom 2
Yes, the signal meter is distorted also. It bleeds into the next level. So the bogey counter, signal meter and arrows all bleed into each other. I'm assuming by these responses, that this isn't normal, correct?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You may also want to post the serial and issue here:

Who knows if it will be useful but might as well collect the info where possible.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
No. Not normal. I am sorry. There appears to be a thin flexible screen cover for lack of a better word over the front. Is that loose? How long have you noticed this?

RaggedEdge

Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No. Not normal. I am sorry. There appears to be a thin flexible screen cover for lack of a better word over the front. Is that loose? How long have you noticed this?
I got the unit yesterday and I noticed it immediately. If I run my finger over the screen, it crinkles, if that makes sense.

RaggedEdge

Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Valentine, technician immediately told me to return it. Hopefully next unit is good to go.

NorEaster18

Probably stuck in traffic...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ya, sounds like your screen is defective. They really need to step up on QC.
I was thinking this. Although it's to be expected with a brand new unit (only so much you can catch). But the legendary Valentine perfect quality hasn't exactly been on display in this unit thus far. I'm sure they'll get there though...

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s an all-new unit, including the display. A single instance of an issue (that we know about anyway) probably isn’t enough to condemn QC altogether. How many R’s did Uniden ship where they were clueless that the display was completely blacked out if you wore sunglasses? 100? More? I didn’t make hay out of that, either, and they addressed the issue.

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s an all-new unit, including the display. A single instance of an issue (that we know about anyway) probably isn’t enough to condemn QC altogether. How many R’s did Uniden ship where they were clueless that the display was completely blacked out if you wore sunglasses? 100? More? I didn’t make hay out of that, either, and they addressed the issue.
@Deacon i do not think anybody is condemning Valentines QC because we all know that Mike will take care of this. Uniden has some issues also and they are taken care of the problem. You have to say for Mike V to have issues, now that is news because it just doesn’t happen.

Last edited:

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Deacon i do not think anybody is condemning Valentines QC because we all know that Mike will take care of this. Uniden has some issues also and they have been taken care of the problem. You have to say for Mike V to have issues, now that is news because it just doesn’t happen.
To be fair, how many of us were around for the launch of the original V1 to know how many issues they had to fix then :D.

cihkal

Retired from the Forum, Adios! WWG1WGA
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya, sounds like your screen is defective. They really need to step up on QC.
Haha truest things are said in jest?

Is speculation fair game for all? 😯

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
To be fair, how many of us were around for the launch of the original V1 to know how many issues they had to fix then :D.
I was around but I could not have told you about what a V1 was!

Les Anderson

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The way good QC works is not 100% preventing defects- this is impossible. It is taking control when defects are found to ensure that there is not a high probability that you are not shipping out faulty devices.

If there is a single defect found in the wild, you might inspect 10% of detectors' pre-shipment. If within that 10% inspection, you find more faulty detectors then you inspect maybe 50%. If in the 50% you find even more- than it can ultimately get to 100% pre-shipment inspection.

I am sure VR has this issue under control and is taking all of the right steps. VR is a proven good company and this is not rocket science. They are not thrilled to be paying shipping both ways to fix these devices. The next production run will almost certainly be clean.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef