Android to iPhone

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Still running a dropped, cracked and abused Pixel 2XL here. Same as you, don't like the current crop. I'm hoping to wait for the Pixel 5 and hoping that it's much better than the 4. The 4a is a bit less of an interest for me because I'll be getting my phone at no cost to me, but if it was a personal only phone that I had to pay for I'd be watching the 4a pretty closely.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I lied, of course I have an Apple TV as well, and generally speaking it works flawlessly and is is perfect for casting videos and audio (to my home theater system) using AirPlay without having to do anything at all on the Apple TV itself. I just use it a lot less since I got a high end 4K smart TV that has native 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Prime apps and such on it.

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I lied, of course I have an Apple TV as well, and generally speaking it works flawlessly and is is perfect for casting videos and audio (to my home theater system) using AirPlay without having to do anything at all on the Apple TV itself. I just use it a lot less since I got a high end 4K smart TV that has native 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Prime apps and such on it.
We have a Fire Cube on our downstairs TV, and I have a Chromecast on the TV in my bedroom. Both work great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euurx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been an Android guy my entire life. Love how customizable it is. However I needed a new phone after having a Pixel 2XL for a while. I really didn't like any of the Android phones out there, so decided to say screw it and go to an 11 Pro Max.

I gotta say, I'm really freaking out! What a change. Not sure I like it, the gestures are so much clunkier than the Pixel. The notifications are weird. Gonna give it a few days before I decide to go back to Android and suck up the fact that I don't like any of the current phones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad yer going the way you want. I went from being an iPhone users for most of my life to going to a Galaxy Note 10+ and I couldn't be happier. The one thing that kept me with iPhones were iMessage and thats about it. Everything else I knew I could do on android. Now that I use my phone more for work and some socializing; this note 10+ has been a power house. :)

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You could get a Samsung S8 open box for $175 - I've really enjoyed mine (not too big) and runs all apps perfectly fine.

Stevedore

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Started out an apple guy, phone & a Mac, now all droid and couldn't be happier w/the switch. LG V20 is the best phone I've ever had...

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's a great price... but I agree on the OS. Nothing beats the pure Android OS that the Pixels have
It is not really pure, there are Google modifications compared to AOSP version ;-) For example, Google adds their stupid search toolbar and widget with their launcher and their own services.

I do agree that the Google version runs much better than Samsung's version. I have Pixel 4 XL right now which I got on sale, regardless of other issues the software experience is unbeatable by any other mobile OS customized by any other company, especially when you count in native Google dialer with excellent spam filtering and call screening (nobody else has such good call filtering, not even garbage 3rd party apps which I have tried), native Google Camera (the software that does actual image processing) and other apps. I also love the visual design - the windows and menus have rounded corners but they are not as excessively round as on Samsung One UI (I really hate what Samsung has done with it). I even love small details like Pixel Live Wallpaper, especially Marvelous Marble - you get a live Earth wallpaper where it shows your approximate location in specific country, changes time of the day, changes clouds (the visual clouds you see are being updated every day) and it even shows the thunderstorms using blinking dots. Some may dismiss it as "silly fluff" but I love such things, it makes the device feel less like soulless "thing for launching apps" and more like a customized extension of your personality ;-)

If only Google put same level of detail into the hardware itself then it would be a perfect phone, sadly it is still pretty mediocre in terms of hardware. Hopefully next Pixel will bring back fingerprint sensor (I hate facial unlock, it is ALWAYS slower to use and less reliable on ANY smartphone by ANY manufacturer), more storage choices, larger battery capacity and better physical build quality.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally I use both, work requires I use Apple products as all the tech used in school is Apple centric, though if I can get away with it, I switch to my S10+ for as long as possible.
Regarding gestures they are different, they just have their own ways, once you have taken some time to get used to it, I am sure the iPhone will be fine for you.

The only one true thing I really don't like about Apple, I can't leave apps running in the background for any length of time without iOS killing them.
I love how slick iOS is, but that one thing is a deal breaker to using their products full time personally.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate facial unlock, it is ALWAYS slower to use and less reliable on ANY smartphone by ANY manufacturer
I do wonder if Apple has enforceable patents on their Face ID. It seems to be so fast and reliable even my wife loves it and won’t go back to her fingerprint sensor. She got the snazzy new 11 Pro, and I’m still doing ok on my 8 Plus, but there definitely are times I wish I had Face ID.

I wonder if the next iPhone model will finally make the switch to USB-C and maybe even add an auxiliary fingerprint sensor on the back somewhere—or more likely into the screen itself.

E2S2R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do wonder if Apple has enforceable patents on their Face ID. It seems to be so fast and reliable even my wife loves it and won’t go back to her fingerprint sensor. She got the snazzy new 11 Pro, and I’m still doing ok on my 8 Plus, but there definitely are times I wish I had Face ID.

I wonder if the next iPhone model will finally make the switch to USB-C and maybe even add an auxiliary fingerprint sensor on the back somewhere—or more likely into the screen itself.
I've been using my OnePlus 7 Pro a lot at home and the fingerprint sensor in the screen is so nice. It's super super fast too.

I really hope Apple bring back the fingerprint sensor and puts it in the screen. I held off upgrading this year, but hopefully this year's model will be upgrade worthy.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score

It is not about speed of unlock itself - for face unlocking you need to hold phone at certain distance and at certain angle ( the phones do not have 360 degree cameras), the fingerprint sensor always works even if I hold phone at certain angle and even before I look at the phone, for example I take the phone and while moving it to get into view range I can already unlock it. Apple's face unlocking is the best (other companies have it much slower and more sensitive to distance) but even it is not ideal and it is always nice to have a choice.

Also, some apps on Android have a support for fingerprint sensor already built in but they do not support face unlock. For example Chase app on Android works this way.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
even it is not ideal and it is always nice to have a choice.
For sure, I'm always a fan of choice. I've never had difficulty with the FaceID or really anything even less than ideal, but I've also never used it on a daily basis, much less on my primary phone.

Also, some apps on Android have a support for fingerprint sensor already built in but they do not support face unlock. For example Chase app on Android works this way.
WTF, Chase? That reminds me of when Apple introduced TouchID, and it took like 2 or 3 years before the Wells Fargo app integrated it. Pissed me off to no end. I use a password manager to randomly generate long and complex passwords for everything, and back then the password manager entries weren't integrated into iOS, either (only the iCloud Keychain, but that may also have been exclusively for Safari), and that meant every time I logged on I'd have to open the password manager app, use TouchID or type in my master passphrase, go to the login entry, copy the password, get out of that and go into the Wells Fargo app, paste it into the login screen, and then wait for it to load. Not exactly quick and easy to check your balance.

SWB

Blue Taco
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung S10 back in November. I put it on a card and paid it off. I can not stand next plan or what ever it is now? I like it, of course my last phone was 5 years old. Hope this one last a while too.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I can not stand next plan or what ever it is now
All it is, really, is an interest-free payment plan. You pay nothing extra, you just don't have to foot the bill up front (or put it on your interest-bearing credit card).

SWB

Blue Taco
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You should go back and watch all of Radenso’s and Votex’s videos from SEMA.
Then read the sticky on Theia.
That’ll help you catch up.
All it is, really, is an interest-free payment plan. You pay nothing extra, you just don't have to foot the bill up front (or put it on your interest-bearing credit card).
Yes it is. But, I dislike contracts. Bought mine on spot with no contract.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rush2112md