CarPlay Audio Issue when V1 Driver Voice Notifications are enabled

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, sorry. The F-150 owner/Coworker’s wife is a first responder Nurse caring for COVID-19 patients. She is forced to go home and has inadequate PPE gear. So he sheltered in place. Couple days later Governor ordered shelter in place.

I did get a log. I may ask for a future log.

I will try again with Chevy CarPlay.

It’s also hard to debug. Because phone needs to be plugged into computer to debug and plugged in CarPlay at the same time.

I do have some hidden hooks that might help.
Thanks for continuing to look into this. Much appreciated.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t sound like the same issue.

Ducking does not apply to Podcast interruptions (only with blending into music). iOS will never allow two speaking apps to run at the same time.

HPF is automatically turned off when CarPlay is active. No reason turn turn that off. That will break your FM case you said was working well. HPF is your “phone call” Volume and is a completely separate volume control.

If V1Driver is so low, why do you have V1Driver set so low (5)? Try turning that way up to balance with the PodCast level.

If you turn V1Driver way up (to fix Podcast) and it’s too loud when on HPF (FM), turn the volume down on the car, while V1Driver is speaking. However that is your “phone call” volume. And you might find phone calls to low if you do that.

Now, thinking about it, I might be able to split that volume control into two controls (HPF) and non HPF.

The problem in this case for the OP is it does not return back to FM after V1Driver speaks.
Yeah I used to be having the same issue as the OP, but not anymore. Maybe it a difference between the beta vs. the current public? I stopped having the issue after running the beta. You're right that the volume thing is a different issue.

I was running V1Driver at the default volume (5) and figured if I raised it for alerts during podcasts, it'll also raise it too loud for when I'm on FM. I haven't tested that yet to confirm though.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I used to be having the same issue as the OP, but not anymore. Maybe it a difference between the beta vs. the current public? I stopped having the issue after running the beta. You're right that the volume thing is a different issue.

I was running V1Driver at the default volume (5) and figured if I raised it for alerts during podcasts, it'll also raise it too loud for when I'm on FM. I haven't tested that yet to confirm though.
At the moment the App Store version is the same as Beta.

A new "Baseline" Beta is in the Review Queue (also the same as App Store). I did that to get the "review" process out of the way as soon as possible. Once the App Store Version is released I can't do any more incremental releases against that version. Once I bump the version (versus the Build) that triggers a review. It took almost a week to review the App Store version. The Beta might take as long.

I added the Split Volume Control. But that will be behind the Baseline Beta (in the review queue), but won't need a Review.

That's good (and bad ;) ) that you think it's fixed because I don't think I did anything to fix it yet. It also might not be a V1Driver problem. It could be iOS, the Car or V1Driver.

One Test the @jfr0317 can do is try it with Google Maps (the Gold Standard in my book). It has the "HFP" option that they call "Play as Phone call" I think it's called.

I think @jfr0317 has access to V1Driver Beta. I can't keep track ;)

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
lol... Have you made any changes recently? The last time I drove with the public version was a good 2 weeks ago or so?

Either way, I can continue playing with it to see if I can replicate the issue, especially if you haven’t made any changes to this area. :)

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the moment the App Store version is the same as Beta.

A new "Baseline" Beta is in the Review Queue (also the same as App Store). I did that to get the "review" process out of the way as soon as possible. Once the App Store Version is released I can't do any more incremental releases against that version. Once I bump the version (versus the Build) that triggers a review. It took almost a week to review the App Store version. The Beta might take as long.

I added the Split Volume Control. But that will be behind the Baseline Beta (in the review queue), but won't need a Review.

That's good (and bad ;) ) that you think it's fixed because I don't think I did anything to fix it yet. It also might not be a V1Driver problem. It could be iOS, the Car or V1Driver.

One Test the @jfr0317 can do is try it with Google Maps (the Gold Standard in my book). It has the "HFP" option that they call "Play as Phone call" I think it's called.

I think @jfr0317 has access to V1Driver Beta. I can't keep track ;)
Yes, I am on the latest beta. I will give that a shot and report back. Thanks very much!
Post automatically merged:

My Google Maps iOS app is set for "Play as Bluetooth phone call" on. I'll try to make an "essential" trip tomorrow to check it out.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
lol... Have you made any changes recently? The last time I drove with the public version was a good 2 weeks ago or so?

Either way, I can continue playing with it to see if I can replicate the issue, especially if you haven’t made any changes to this area. :)
Lots of changes in the past 2 weeks. But I can't recall anything that would fix an Audio Issue like that.
@jfr0317 has the latest beta and I take his word for it that it's still an issue.

When I did see it on the F-150 it was a bit random. Worked sometimes.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of changes in the past 2 weeks. But I can't recall anything that would fix an Audio Issue like that.
@jfr0317 has the latest beta and I take his word for it that it's still an issue.

When I did see it on the F-150 it was a bit random. Worked sometimes.
I actually haven't been out to test the last several beta builds as we are under a stay at home order in Houston. I do have a legitimate reason to be out tomorrow, so let's see what happens, and I will report back.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just went out to go test this again with the beta that was released today. Seems to work well with just the Volume option. (I didn't notice any changes with the Volume (HFP) option, but I didn't test during a phone call.) V1Driver's alerts always played at the same level, regardless of what my stereo volume is set to which is nice. This way I don't accidentally turn down the volume on the app alerts.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just went out to go test this again with the beta that was released today. Seems to work well with just the Volume option. (I didn't notice any changes with the Volume (HFP) option, but I didn't test during a phone call.) V1Driver's alerts always played at the same level, regardless of what my stereo volume is set to which is nice. This way I don't accidentally turn down the volume on the app alerts.
Thanks for the update.

To be clear though, The new "Volume (HFP)" is not for "During Phone Calls".

It is the Volume of a Phone call. When V1Driver fires on HFP (when listening to FM for example) it is using EXACTLY what your phone call uses to speak (including Volume). That's why it looks like a short phone call is coming in every time V1Driver speaks. If you adjust the Volume (on the Radio) of V1Driver Speaking while listening to FM you ARE adjusting your subsequent Phone Call volume. You may then get a real Phone Call and the Phone call is now too loud or too soft. So you are adjusting for that. But now you just messed up V1Driver again. When V1Driver speaks (as phone call) and you end up adjusting it again, back and forth.

The point is, to use the new "Volume (HFP)" to get V1Driver to the correct level without changing your Phone Call volume. Or messing up the V1Driver Level when Streaming (which might need yet a different level).

By splitting it you have complete control now. I've run into this back and forth issue and it just dawned on me a way to deal with it. I know this will generate questions, confusion and it's not easy to get your head around. But it was unfortunately necessary to deal with it.

Last edited:

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using my F150 with CarPlay, I just tested the latest beta (Version 2.0.56.455) with "Use HFP" and "Duck Music" both turned on. I am happy to report that the satellite radio music came right back up after the V1 Driver announcement completed.

However, in my 911 (which uses wireless Apple CarPlay), the V1 Driver announcement is played, but the satellite radio music stops. As before, if I am listening to a source from my iPhone, the program resumes after the V1 Driver announcement completes.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Using my F150 with CarPlay, I just tested the latest beta (Version 2.0.56.455) with "Use HFP" and "Duck Music" both turned on. I am happy to report that the satellite radio music came right back up after the V1 Driver announcement completed.

However, in my 911 (which uses wireless Apple CarPlay), the V1 Driver announcement is played, but the satellite radio music stops. As before, if I am listening to a source from my iPhone, the program resumes after the V1 Driver announcement completes.
Some progress anyway. Thanks for the update.

I did clean up a few things but didn't think I fixed the F150 case either. But it is possible.
I've never tested on wireless carplay and it's possible I might not be detecting it correctly in that case.
I'll add a hook to force it if need be.

Few things to try if you have time.

1) Does the 911 support wired CarPlay, if so can you see what that does?
2) Can you try Google Maps with "Play as Bluetooth phone call" enabled (see below).
3) Send me a Log (Debug Mask set to 2) from 911 setup on Wireless CarPlay.

To enable that feature in Google Maps is pretty buried.

1) Start a Route
2) Swipe little bar at the bottom Up
3) Click Settings Cog Wheel
4) Enable "Play as Bluetooth phone call"

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some progress anyway. Thanks for the update.

I did clean up a few things but didn't think I fixed the F150 case either. But it is possible.
I've never tested on wireless carplay and it's possible I might not be detecting it correctly in that case.
I'll add a hook to force it if need be.

Few things to try if you have time.

1) Does the 911 support wired CarPlay, if so can you see what that does?
2) Can you try Google Maps with "Play as Bluetooth phone call" enabled (see below).
3) Send me a Log (Debug Mask set to 2) from 911 setup on Wireless CarPlay.

To enable that feature in Google Maps is pretty buried.

1) Start a Route
2) Swipe little bar at the bottom Up
3) Click Settings Cog Wheel
4) Enable "Play as Bluetooth phone call"
If there's one thing I have, it's plenty of time! LOL

Sure, I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks very much!
Post automatically merged:

OK, the 911 does support wired Apple CarPlay which I had not tried before. V1 Driver announcements work , and the car FM radio and satellite radio resume playing after the V1 Driver announcement, just as they did in my F150.

I tried using Google Maps navigation while using wireless CarPlay and still had the issue of the radio program not resuming. I sent you a log of this mode.

I did these tests just using my Bushnell in my garage as I haven't had an appropriate reason to go out today. Thanks very much for working on this with me.

Last edited:

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I finally got out yesterday in my M5 and today in my 911. I was using wireless Apple CarPlay in both. I am running the latest beta of V1 Driver (2.0.56.462).

I am pleased to report that when I got the V1 Driver voice notifications, the satellite radio audio that was playing prior to the notification resumed playing after the notification was finished. Thanks very much!

Deadhead1971

Three Sheets to the Wind
Advanced User
Reaction score
This question best fit here I guess. Is there a way / setting to have V1Driver voice announce the frequency while using Waze? I ran both yesterday for the first time and V1 Driver dropped pins but did not voice announce alerts. I assume using both interferes with V1 driver’s voice announcements. I did have waze audio turned off. Thx

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
This question best fit here I guess. Is there a way / setting to have V1Driver voice announce the frequency while using Waze? I ran both yesterday for the first time and V1 Driver dropped pins but did not voice announce alerts. I assume using both interferes with V1 driver’s voice announcements. I did have waze audio turned off. Thx
Waze should not make any real difference, as statistically they won’t both be speaking at the same time. Waze should not interfere with hearing V1Driver.

Are you sure Waze is preventing from hearing V1Driver? I assume we are talking iOS.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s no problem with Waze and V1Driver running together on iOS including with CarPlay. Waze isn’t the issue. This sounds like a new thread you should be starting?

Deadhead1971

Three Sheets to the Wind
Advanced User
Reaction score
There’s no problem with Waze and V1Driver running together on iOS including with CarPlay. Waze isn’t the issue. This sounds like a new thread you should be starting?
A new thread will be created. This is low priority so it might be a week or two. Waze cancels out V1 driver’s voice frequency announcement. Confirmed this. Will do a video with radar guns et al later to show issue . IOS user

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
A new thread will be created. This is low priority so it might be a week or two. Waze cancels out V1 driver’s voice frequency announcement. Confirmed this. Will do a video with radar guns et al later to show issue . IOS user
Well, if two Apps are doing Voice at the same time iOS is gonna choose one. Which ever has foreground will win.

Deadhead1971

Three Sheets to the Wind
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, if two Apps are doing Voice at the same time iOS is gonna choose one. Which ever has foreground will win.
Ok then. I do have the voice / sound turned off on waze but it’s definitely interfering with V1 Driver voice freq announcement. Not a major thing. I don’t use waze on daily driving- just long trips

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Ok then. I do have the voice / sound turned off on waze but it’s definitely interfering with V1 Driver voice freq announcement. Not a major thing. I don’t use waze on daily driving- just long trips
Maybe Waze is putting a beep/alarm out even though you have voice off.

One thing I have seen is the Notification Beep from V1Driver can interfere with the Voice. Maybe when you have Waze up V1Driver is in background forcing it to use Notifications. Try turning notifications off in V1Driver and see if that helps.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesus359