CarPlay Audio Issue when V1 Driver Voice Notifications are enabled

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I am using Apple CarPlay and listening to my car's satellite radio (as opposed to streaming audio from a CarPlay-compatible app such as Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM app), when I get a voice notification from V1Driver, the audio stays on CarPlay (which has nothing playing) rather than reverting to the car's satellite radio. This is the case whether I am using CarPlay in my F150 (which needs a USB connection) or in my BMW M5 (which has wireless CarPlay). When I am streaming from a CarPlay-compatible app, the audio correctly reverts to whatever was streaming prior to the V1 Driver voice notification.

Are there any suggested settings I should look at to see if I can overcome this issue? Thanks

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
When I am using Apple CarPlay and listening to my car's satellite radio (as opposed to streaming audio from a CarPlay-compatible app such as Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM app), when I get a voice notification from V1Driver, the audio stays on CarPlay (which has nothing playing) rather than reverting to the car's satellite radio. This is the case whether I am using CarPlay in my F150 (which needs a USB connection) or in my BMW M5 (which has wireless CarPlay). When I am streaming from a CarPlay-compatible app, the audio correctly reverts to whatever was streaming prior to the V1 Driver voice notification.

Are there any suggested settings I should look at to see if I can overcome this issue? Thanks
I'll recheck it tonight on my Chevy Volt that has newish Infotainment with CarPlay.
I rarely listen to the Radio these days so it's possible a bug has surfaced due to iOS updates.
It is supposed to switch back.
Co-Worker has an 2019 F150 as well that I can try if the Volt doesn't show the problem.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll recheck it tonight on my Chevy Volt that has newish Infotainment with CarPlay.
I rarely listen to the Radio these days so it's possible a bug has surfaced due to iOS updates.
It is supposed to switch back.
Co-Worker has an 2019 F150 as well that I can try if the Volt doesn't show the problem.
Thanks very much! I appreciate it!

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thanks very much! I appreciate it!
I just tested Chevy Volt and it worked perfect.

Tried FM and XM.

I will try to test Ford F-150 tomorrow if the owner will let me sit in it ;) (i.e. COVID-19 social distancing)

derek21023

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just so you know, this does the same thing to in my Ram with Uconnect when listening to the radio on the Uconnect.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just tested Chevy Volt and it worked perfect.

Tried FM and XM.

I will try to test Ford F-150 tomorrow if the owner will let me sit in it ;) (i.e. COVID-19 social distancing)
Thanks very much! If it works on the F150, then I'd appreciate you sharing your settings in case I have something set incorrectly in my app.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much! If it works on the F150, then I'd appreciate you sharing your settings in case I have something set incorrectly in my app.
I doubt you’ve got something configured badly wrong, but why not go ahead and post up screenshots of your config now anyway, just in case something stands out?

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt you’ve got something configured badly wrong, but why not go ahead and post up screenshots of your config now anyway, just in case something stands out?
Will do
Post automatically merged:

IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg

Let me know if there are other screenshots I should post. Thanks!

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No, I had not had it it enabled until going back out to re-test today.
Oh, ok. So the only setting that you changed was to enable HFP, which had been disabled prior? Did enabling it change anything at all? And is your phone connected to the stereo’s Bluetooth at the time as well, or only via CarPlay?

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, ok. So the only setting that you changed was to enable HFP, which had been disabled prior? Did enabling it change anything at all? And is your phone connected to the stereo’s Bluetooth at the time as well, or only via CarPlay?
No changes in behavior that I could discern on a quick trip out this afternoon in my F150. As I understand it, the BMW wireless CarPlay uses Bluetooth to establish the initial "conversation" between the car and the phone. It then uses a WiFi connection between the car and the phone for CarPlay. Both the F150 and the BMW show the Bluetooth connection between the vehicle and the phone being "lost" when CarPlay becomes active. I also see the same indications on my 2020 911 which has wireless CarPlay.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
@Deacon had a great idea to post your settings. Because something does stand out.

Turn "Sound Enable" Off (I know, not a great name).

Sound Enable mimics the V1 brap Tones. Most people don't like that option. It's really ideal for Motorcycles that can't hear the V1 itself.

You said "Voice Notification" in your OP so I didn't even suspect it.

"Playing Audio" vs "Text to Speech" are very different and phone will handle it differently.

When V1Driver "plays audio" it gets classified as a "Music Player".
When V1Driver does "Text to Speech" it gets classified as an "Interruption" (like a phone ring).

I suspect if you turn Sound Off it will return back to XM.

You really want to always have V1 with in ear shot. With the integrated Audio it's nice that it doesn't have to be that loud. V1 will always be the quickest to hear and if all else fails you'll get your alert. If you have Sound On you have to turn V1 down (or you'll go banana's wild them wildly out of phase). The reason you can have V1 set low is the interruption will typically allow you to hear it if you don't hear it directly.

Also keep in mind Ducking doesn't always apply. It does it when it can.

However, I did just try it with Sound On, on my wife's Volt and it worked fine on FM and XM. But I would still try it with "Sound Off".

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Deacon had a great idea to post your settings. Because something does stand out.

Turn "Sound Enable" Off (I know, not a great name).

Sound Enable mimics the V1 brap Tones. Most people don't like that option. It's really ideal for Motorcycles that can't hear the V1 itself.

You said "Voice Notification" in your OP so I didn't even suspect it.

"Playing Audio" vs "Text to Speech" are very different and phone will handle it differently.

When V1Driver "plays audio" it gets classified as a "Music Player".
When V1Driver does "Text to Speech" it gets classified as an "Interruption" (like a phone ring).

I suspect if you turn Sound Off it will return back to XM.

You really want to always have V1 with in ear shot. With the integrated Audio it's nice that it doesn't have to be that loud. V1 will always be the quickest to hear and if all else fails you'll get your alert. If you have Sound On you have to turn V1 down (or you'll go banana's wild them wildly out of phase). The reason you can have V1 set low is the interruption will typically allow you to hear it if you don't hear it directly.

Also keep in mind Ducking doesn't always apply. It does it when it can.

However, I did just try it with Sound On, on my wife's Volt and it worked fine on FM and XM. But I would still try it with "Sound Off".
Thanks very much! I just turned off "Sound Enable". I will do a test drive tomorrow to check it out and report back. I really appreciate the great support! I will say that when I first started using V1 Driver, which was prior to getting a vehicle with Apple CarPlay, I was just using whatever defeault settings for sound, bluetooth, etc. showed up when the app was first installed. When I started using it with CarPlay and getting the no return to car satellite radio sound problem, I just turned off all of the sound, vice, and notification settings and was just using V1 Driver for the virtual savvy and K-band auto-mutes.

After getting my new 911, I started playing around with the capabilites of your app again and decided to try to get everything to work.

I always rely on my V1's sound for the alert, but I would like to get the frequency announcations.

I just went out for a drive in my 911 with V1 Driver running the settings as shown in my screen shots above except with "Sound Enable" turned off as suggested. As soon as my V1G2 alerts to a radar signal, the satellite radio stops just as before and does not resume until I manually select it again. If I am listening to one of the streaming apps available through the CarPlay interface, the V1 Driver notification is played correctly, and the streaming music goes back to its previous volume after the notification has finished. In other words, this is the same behavior I was experiening before changing the "Sound Enable" setting to off.

I would appreciate any other settings changes that you think I might try.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Ford F150 reproduced the problem.

It was odd. When I first setup it worked perfect. With and with out "Sound On", with both FM and XM.

I started to pack up and unplug and thought I should take a video. Sure enough it started to fail (stayed stuck on iPhone instead of going back to Radio).

I collected logs. And since it is intermiitent I can try reproducing again on my Wifes Volt.
It was flawless on my Uconnect until last fall when I swapped my Jeep for a Model X.

jfr0317

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ford F150 reproduced the problem.

It was odd. When I first setup it worked perfect. With and with out "Sound On", with both FM and XM.

I started to pack up and unplug and thought I should take a video. Sure enough it started to fail (stayed stuck on iPhone instead of going back to Radio).

I collected logs. And since it is intermiitent I can try reproducing again on my Wifes Volt.
It was flawless on my Uconnect until last fall when I swapped my Jeep for a Model X.
Thanks for the further investigation. I really appreciate you looking into this.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread and have been having a similar issue with my wired CarPlay.

Running the latest beta (2.0.55.452), it actually seems to be working much better now. If I'm listening to FM, it goes away and I hear the voice announcement, then the music comes back on. With the stereo off, I get the voice announcement and then the stereo goes back off again. Very nice.

If I'm listening to a podcast from my phone though, I can't figure out how to balance the audio levels between V1Driver and my podcast. The podcast comes through much louder and even if I duck the phone's audio, the V1Driver announcement is extremely quiet to the point where I can barely hear it. That isn't the case when it's overriding the FM radio and so I'm not sure why I'm getting different volume levels depending on what audio I'm listening to prior to / during the alert. Very strange.

I'm running with HFP off, sound enable off, and volume set to 5.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Did your recent update address this issue?

Version 2.0.55

Going to try later today
No, sorry. The F-150 owner/Coworker’s wife is a first responder Nurse caring for COVID-19 patients. She is forced to go home and has inadequate PPE gear. So he sheltered in place. Couple days later Governor ordered shelter in place.

I did get a log. I may ask for a future log.

I will try again with Chevy CarPlay.

It’s also hard to debug. Because phone needs to be plugged into computer to debug and plugged in CarPlay at the same time.

I do have some hidden hooks that might help.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just found this thread and have been having a similar issue with my wired CarPlay.

Running the latest beta (2.0.55.452), it actually seems to be working much better now. If I'm listening to FM, it goes away and I hear the voice announcement, then the music comes back on. With the stereo off, I get the voice announcement and then the stereo goes back off again. Very nice.

If I'm listening to a podcast from my phone though, I can't figure out how to balance the audio levels between V1Driver and my podcast. The podcast comes through much louder and even if I duck the phone's audio, the V1Driver announcement is extremely quiet to the point where I can barely hear it. That isn't the case when it's overriding the FM radio and so I'm not sure why I'm getting different volume levels depending on what audio I'm listening to prior to / during the alert. Very strange.

I'm running with HFP off, sound enable off, and volume set to 5.
This doesn’t sound like the same issue.

Ducking does not apply to Podcast interruptions (only with blending into music). iOS will never allow two speaking apps to run at the same time.

HPF is automatically turned off when CarPlay is active. No reason turn turn that off. That will break your FM case you said was working well. HPF is your “phone call” Volume and is a completely separate volume control.

If V1Driver is so low, why do you have V1Driver set so low (5)? Try turning that way up to balance with the PodCast level.

If you turn V1Driver way up (to fix Podcast) and it’s too loud when on HPF (FM), turn the volume down on the car, while V1Driver is speaking. However that is your “phone call” volume. And you might find phone calls to low if you do that.

Now, thinking about it, I might be able to split that volume control into two controls (HPF) and non HPF.

The problem in this case for the OP is it does not return back to FM after V1Driver speaks.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette