New Uniden R7 + RD Noob, what firmware should I use?

MarkFortune

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all!

Per the title, I've got a Uniden R7, and I set it up along with Vortex's settings, catered the settings to my area (Southwest Florida) and had some questions. I am currently running firmware 1.24 since it is the latest official release, and I've seen a lot of opinions on the "unofficial" 1.29 that the beta users got and have posted. Should I stick with 1.24 or do you guys think I should upgrade to 1.29?
Thanks!

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
From what I've been able to glean from the reports here it seems that if you need MRCD then you'll get better sensitivity to it on 1.29 at the expense of more BSM falses when it's enabled. But if you don't need MRCD (which you don't) then you gain the added features and potentially fewer BSM falses.

I would try 1.24 to get a baseline and then apply 1.29 and see if you feel it's better or worse for you. Personally in a non-MRCD area I prefer 1.29. The only thing I would say is that if you lock out a bunch of door openers and static speed signs in 1.24 you may need to add additional lockouts in 1.29 for travel from the other direction or for other sources in the area that would have been covered previously by the broader lockout frequency range. So don't be disheartened if you find this as you have to go through some of the 'training' process with the detector again.

Gowski

Never tell me the odds
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very happy with 1.29
I dont use lockouts, here are my primary settings...
Segs 2,5,8
Rear bal set to 70%
K wide
K filter on
TSF off
Ka Filter off

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I never went up 129 because MRCD is not in my area. I agree with @plm , try out 124 for awhile, then if that does not suit your taste, try 129.

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
1.29 was too chatty for me when it comes QR and I don't like the fact that you only got 1 Ka voice alert when you get a Ka hit although I have not tried it in the field because I only tested for less than an hour. The reason I like the 1.24 is that, if there are Ka frequencies competing against each with the same signal strength, it will alert me with the voice frequency when the initial frequency drops telling me there are 2 sources or more. I don't have MRCD and don't need it. No need for the balance setting because I keep my K band sensitivity at 100%. By setting the K band at 100%, it is easy to distinguish BSM, auto door openers from real police radar gun. Agree with @TechnoRave. Just try both and see which one you like. You just have to spend a good amount of time on both FW to find out yourself.

highwayman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I like 1.29 with the smaller K block and the front to rear balance. I don't need MRCD here in Dallas or the surrounding area. My R7 is fairly quite

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy