V1 Gen2 Custom Sweeps/Frequencies: Negative impact on falsing?

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
And Vortex said it used to be Custom sweeps which acted differently to the new custom frequency setting I thought.
Yes, they’re different.

Think of it like the radio in your car. You can tell it to scan, and it will sweep the commercial broadcast radio frequencies until it hits something strong enough to stop. If you remove your antenna, it can’t receive anything worth stopping on, so it will keep sweeping until it hits the end of its frequency range and start over again at the bottom. It takes a few seconds at least for it to sweep that whole range and start over again, right?

What if you could tell the radio to only do that within, say, 90.1 to 94.5, and then 101.3 to 104.7? It would skip the rest, so you’d never hit on 88.9 or 97.6 or whatever was outside of those frequency ranges, and it would get through those narrower ranges much faster. That’s like what Custom Sweeps were for the Gen1. Whatever you set limited then detector’s range of frequencies it looked at, what frequencies it swept across. Of course, it was way faster than your car radio, so it didn’t make a huge difference, but it allowed you to turn off filtering on Ka (“Ka Guard”) which substantially increased range, and you could keep it from looking in areas that might turn up a false Ka alert (which otherwise would’ve been suppressed by Ka Guard).

Now what if your car’s radio was super fast at scanning (aka sweeping through) the whole spectrum, but it let you say don’t worry about stopping on any stations outside of those ranges we specified earlier? It would still sweep through the entire range of frequencies, but even if it found a station on 88.9 or 97.6, it wouldn’t stop on it since it knows you don’t want to listen to those stations. That’s what the Custom Frequencies are like on the Gen2. Unlike the old sweeps, it doesn’t change what frequencies the detector looks at. It sweeps through all of them super fast anyway. Instead, with Custom Frequencies enabled, when it sees something outside the windows you’ve specified, it simply doesn’t alert to it. It’s a little deeper than just superficial muting, apparently, as it fully ignores it, not surfacing an alert at all, at mute volume or otherwise.

I hope that helps.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah that’s what I have. Just sounded like it didn’t really matter to have these, but from what you’re saying, it means anything outside of the ranges won’t alert? Yeah I always run segmented on my other detectors.
Those settings could use some work. For example the 33.8 range will alert no matter what you say. Hopefully they fix that in a future firmware update. But more importantly you have two separate frequency ranges defined that overlap slightly and go all the way from 34.592 to 35.166. That’s fine if you want to alert so high outside the 34.7 range, but why have two overlapping ranges? Why not just 34.592-35.166?

On K, which is a new option for the Gen2, I’ve never seen a threat higher than 24.194 (just one oddball cruiser), but I’ve seen some stationary falses up past 24.200, even up near 24.250. If you want to narrow things down, I’d probably suggest modifying the K range to top out at 24.200 or so. Your call, though.

Last edited:

ChompersMowersBamBam

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, they’re different.

Think of it like the radio in your car. You can tell it to scan, and it will sweep the commercial broadcast radio frequencies until it hits something strong enough to stop. If you remove your antenna, it can’t receive anything worth stopping on, so it will keep sweeping until it hits the end of its frequency range and start over again at the bottom. It takes a few seconds at least for it to sweep that whole range and start over again, right?

What if you could tell the radio to only do that within, say, 90.1 to 94.5, and then 101.3 to 104.7? It would skip the rest, so you’d never hit on 88.9 or 97.6 or whatever was outside of those frequency ranges, and it would get through those narrower ranges much faster. That’s like what Custom Sweeps were for the Gen1. Whatever you set limited then detector’s range of frequencies it looked at, what frequencies it swept across. Of course, it was way faster than your car radio, so it didn’t make a huge difference, but it allowed you to turn off filtering on Ka (“Ka Guard”) which substantially increased range, and you could keep it from looking in areas that might turn up a false Ka alert (which otherwise would’ve been suppressed by Ka Guard).

Now what if your car’s radio was super fast at scanning (aka sweeping through) the whole spectrum, but it let you say don’t worry about stopping on any stations outside of those ranges we specified earlier? It would still sweep through the entire range of frequencies, but even if it found a station on 88.9 or 97.6, it wouldn’t stop on it since it knows you don’t want to listen to those stations. That’s what the Custom Frequencies are like on the Gen2. Unlike the old sweeps, it doesn’t change what frequencies the detector looks at. It sweeps through all of them super fast anyway. Instead, with Custom Frequencies enabled, when it sees something outside the windows you’ve specified, it simply doesn’t alert to it. It’s a little deeper than just superficial muting, apparently, as it fully ignores it, not surfacing an alert at all, at mute volume or otherwise.

I hope that helps.

Those settings could use some work. For example the 33.8 range will alert no matter what you say. Hopefully they fix that in a future firmware update. But more importantly you have two separate frequency ranges defined that overlap slightly and go all the way from 34.592 to 35.166. That’s fine if you want to alert so high outside the 34.7 range, but why have two overlapping ranges? Why not just 34.592-35.166?
I just followed Vortex’s guide where he lists what each Segment is so I figured that’s the same as doing 2,5,6, and 8 on a detector that lets you segment. So i just wanted to make them exactly the same so I know that order is 2,5,6, and 8.

Ka1 = 33.392 – 33.704
Ka2 = 33.704 – 33.896 (33.8)
Ka3 = 33.886 – 34.198
Ka4 = 34.184 – 34.592
Ka5 = 34.592 – 34.808 (34.7)
Ka6 = 34.806 – 35.166
Ka7 = 35.143 – 35.383
Ka8 = 35.378 – 35.618 (35.5)
Ka9 = 35.595 – 35.835
Ka10 = 35.830 – 35.998

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just followed Vortex’s guide where he lists what each Segment is so I figured that’s the same as doing 2,5,6, and 8 on a detector that lets you segment. So i just wanted to make them exactly the same so I know that order is 2,5,6, and 8.
Ah, ok, I see how you got there now. The difference is that you’re not limited to primitive, hard-coded “segments” in the V1. So you don’t need two separate ranges to match segments 5 and 6, for example. You can have just one range cover that whole area. And also, those segments are common, but they’re a legacy left over from the limitations of the first old detectors that could do that kind of function. There’s no magic in the numbers themselves, just where they happen to fall in coverage ranges of frequencies to watch for.

So you could do, say, 34.500-34.900 and cover the whole 34.7 area in a single pass, and without being forced to include extraneous frequencies.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I was running custom sweeps on my V1G1, that's what I was doing. 34.400 to 34.900 to cover the upper portion of "segment 4", all of "segment 5", and the lower half of "segment 6".
With the V1 you can define exact frequencies instead of choosing from 10 distinct blocks that an engineer somewhere decided on. :)

Based on the number of legitimate 24.200+/- LEOs I've seen, you might want to go up to 24.205 or 24.210 for the upper value. Really, that area is only populated by Hondas and Acuras which have been entirely silent now. Go up to 24.215 to be safe. :)

ChompersMowersBamBam

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah I just did it to make my life easier for now with being new to the V1 platform. But I understand I can just pretty much merge 5 and 6 into one. So would I just be good doing this for 2,5, 6 and 8? I don’t need 4.

33.704 - 33.896
34.592 - 35.166
35.378 - 35.618

Yeah I just did it to make my life easier for now with being new to the V1 platform. But I understand I can just pretty much merge 5 and 6 into one. So would I just be good doing this for 2,5, 6 and 8? I don’t need 4.

33.704 - 33.896
34.592 - 35.166
35.378 - 35.618
Or I guess two might even do

33.704 - 33.896
34.592 - 35.618

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@derek21023 yes, that last one with 34.7 to 35.5 as one big chunk is fine, as long as you don’t experience Ka falses between the 34.7 to 35.5 range.

Again, though, you’re not limited to the “segment” frequencies at all, and you don’t need to add one for 33.8. It will alert to 33.8 no matter what, regardless. Just a single line for Ka is fine.

Of course, if you’re not being plagued by Ka falses, you don’t need to enable Custom Frequencies at all. Turn off the option entirely and on re-enable it later if you find yourself encountering falses often in some oddball range.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just got a 34.1 false on the way home - if it keeps up I'll box it
Yeah, I've had a few in that range. May need to try Custom Frequencies.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Some new observations:
I have been running in factory default Logic mode for a while (X off, Laser off, Memo Loud after muting off) and have gotten used to what to expect that way.
A couple of days ago, I got the idea to try Custom Frequencies again so I set up the basics of 23.908 - 24.252
34.400 - 34.900
35.400 - 35.600

All other settings were the same and I continued to use a mix of Advanced Logic and Logic modes automatically changing at PSL. (Less alert filtering above PSL)

I kept getting slight K-band falses in the 24.200 range from my own car next to guardrails, etc. in Logic mode. Advanced Logic would quiet them down, but I didn't like the reduction in alert distance that has been shown in Advanced Logic.

Today, I went back to no Custom Frequencies and even though there are a few more moments of 34.1xx falses, they are location dependent and not coming from my own vehicle. I can box mute them as well.

It seems to be that the factory default/no custom frequency Logic and Advanced Logic modes are more effective than setting Custom Frequencies.

It's hard to make this adjustment after so many years of Custom Sweeps with the V1G1. :)

Also, I'm really liking the new display now. I've been enabling the display just to admire it. :)(Still turns off at night and when there's a strong signal from behind)

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It seems to be that the factory default/no custom frequency Logic and Advanced Logic modes are more effective than setting Custom Frequencies.
I'm glad someone else has noticed this. While I'm happy with how few false alerts I get running default settings, I think this suggests some firmware bugs relating to how the detector is implementing filtering when custom sweeps are enabled.

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
No K custom frequencies used. Only ka custom frequencies set.

I’ve switched to logic mode this week, and it is more chatty on K compared to my R1 on K 70%, TSF, and K Filter, and K block. It can be quiet but also noisy. Some BSMs definitely alert even with K verifyer on. Today it was 24.124 BSM alerts at 2 bars. This is generally in-town driving. Also get plenty of K alerts going past shopping centers. It’s a 1-2 bar muted alert. It does what it’s designed to do. May switch back to L.

no K here anyway but I still like to run with it on just in case. It used to be here so it could always make a comeback .

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No K custom frequencies used. Only ka custom frequencies set.
Are you sure the custom frequencies are pushed properly then? Is the dot lit up on the V1 display?

@johnboy00 showed that if you enable custom frequencies and do not include K band frequencies, the detector won't alert to K band.

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
The dot has been there. I’ll check again later.

I don’t understand. I am customizing Ka frequencies but leaving the K frequencies alone as shown below - the default K range. I have not touched the K frequencies. With these settings, it alerts to both K and Ka.
C4F3A448-97DA-44EB-B6AA-CB4506FB382D.png

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Unfortunately we need A mode for best Redflex detection (KV off is better still), but cutting off at 24.110 cuts most K falsing anyway.
I'd do what you suggest if we had other K threats.

The dot has been there. I’ll check again later.

I don’t understand. I am customizing Ka frequencies but leaving the K frequencies alone as shown below - the default K range. I have not touched the K frequencies. With these settings, it alerts to both K and Ka.
View attachment 143373
That looks like you are running K default freqs as a CF. That's why you are getting K alerts.

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
Unfortunately we need A mode for best Redflex detection (KV off is better still), but cutting off at 24.110 cuts most K falsing anyway.
I'd do what you suggest if we had other K threats.

That looks like you are running K default freqs as a CF. That's why you are getting K alerts.
I want to get K alerts or have K band protection coverage.

I am a new V1 user dummy so all help is appreciated

@InsipidMonkey Update - yes, dot is there

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, you're correctly pushing the K band frequencies based on your screenshot. The previous post made it sound like you were only pushing Ka band frequencies so I wanted to confirm since others have had trouble with this.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

You're not a dummy, just overwhelmed. As we all were/are from time to time.
I'm just waiting for JB to figure out a way of detecting cops by something other than radar transmission.
Based on his performance to date, I think he'll do it.

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
Bump. Anybody running custom frequencies? Anyone have comments on the running the 3 modes (A, l, L) as it relates to K or Ka falses?

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

You are FAR from a dummy my friend! As we have discussed a couple of times, I'm simply running A mode with K verifier on. I'm running JBV1, but only so I can see and hear K and Ka band frequencies. My V1G2 set up like this is almost a mirror image of my R1's on 1.50 with TFS, K filter and K block on at 70%. In fact I'd say the V1G2 is even quieter than my R1's. I guess the reason I haven't had any laser or Ka falses could be my area. BTW, I'm not running any filtering or lockouts through JBV1. After running some I/O Q/T tests, I would not run big L! My V1G2 is pretty much totally blind against 24.150 Q/T shots on L! On A mode it's about the same as my R1's set up like above. Against 35.5 it's lights out crazy fast!

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m going to run logic mode without custom frequencies until the end of this week. Then I’m going to set custom Ka frequencies again for the next week to see.

after turning custom frequencies off for about two weeks I think, overall it’s been quiet. I’ve had a day or so where it’s been very chatty and noisy on K at times but it’s definitely not like that every single day. And to be fair some of this was inside of an Out-parcel of a shopping center off the main road so those really should not count.

Of course all of this is just my opinion. Doesn’t prove anything. Driving conditions are always different with different cars on the road and different streets and intersections. I generally travel the same corridors during the weekdays.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cajuncwby30