V1 Gen2 Custom Sweeps/Frequencies: Negative impact on falsing?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been doing some informal testing to confirm an issue with sweeps I noticed in another thread, and noticed that the detector is much noisier to falses when I have sweeps pushed versus when I'm running with the defaults. It could just be luck of the draw and certainly warrants more testing, but I'm wondering how many people that are reporting lots of BSM falsing have pushed custom frequencies?

It's not clear why this would be, since in the interview with Vortex Mike stated custom frequencies in the Gen2 are just a mute and don't actually affect what is swept. Driving around right now in moderate traffic the difference was pretty striking though, so maybe there is something more to it? One major difference seemed to be Mazda falses at 24.125. I had a few brief falses when running custom frequencies, but none when running factory defaults even though I was seeking them out in traffic :question:

I'll keep testing, but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear others observations. If you're not running custom frequencies, are you seeing many BSM falses? If you are running custom frequencies, can you post what your K band sweeps are and whether you're seeing many BSM falses? If you're running custom frequencies and see many BSM falses, try doing a factory reset (and disable X band if appropriate) and see if you notice anything different.

For reference, my testing was using a K band sweep of 24.000 - 24.250.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I've been doing some informal testing to confirm an issue with sweeps I noticed in another thread, and noticed that the detector is much noisier to falses when I have sweeps pushed versus when I'm running with the defaults. It could just be luck of the draw and certainly warrants more testing, but I'm wondering how many people that are reporting lots of BSM falsing have pushed custom frequencies?

It's not clear why this would be, since in the interview with Vortex Mike stated custom frequencies in the Gen2 are just a mute and don't actually affect what is swept. Driving around right now in moderate traffic the difference was pretty striking though, so maybe there is something more to it? One major difference seemed to be Mazda falses at 24.125. I had a few brief falses when running custom frequencies, but none when running factory defaults even though I was seeking them out in traffic :question:

I'll keep testing, but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear others observations. If you're not running custom frequencies, are you seeing many BSM falses? If you are running custom frequencies, can you post what your K band sweeps are and whether you're seeing many BSM falses? If you're running custom frequencies and see many BSM falses, try doing a factory reset (and disable X band if appropriate) and see if you notice anything different.

For reference, my testing was using a K band sweep of 24.000 - 24.250.

What frequencies are you getting hits on?

The USA Standard Frequency Range starts at 24.050 so you may have widened the K-Band Frequencies to Alert on.

I assume you are still on Logic or Advanced Logic mode?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll go back to factory and try that. I can't say that I've seen a lot of BSMs, but if there's a difference to see, maybe I'll see it.

2020-3-13_16-23-15.PNG
Screenshot_20200313-162331.png

2020-3-13_16-24-42.PNG

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
OK I had to get down to the third paragraph to find out you’re really talking about K custom frequencies. No for me.

i have Ka custom frequencies setup that are close to 2,5,6, and 8 on the Uniden- mainly to screen out ka falses. I have had no Ka falses since- might have had one before setting up custom frequencies.

I am running L and have had only 1 BSM false since driving Tuesday night- about 200 miles in heavy traffic and interstate traffic. That BSM was a Ford Flex.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you seeing worse falsing in 'A' mode or in one of the logic analyzer modes?

I wonder if the alert suppression affects or bypasses the logic analyzer.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
What frequencies are you getting hits on?

The USA Standard Frequency Range starts at 24.050 so you may have widened the K-Band Frequencies to Alert on.

I assume you are still on Logic or Advanced Logic mode?
Running Logic mode.

If you factory reset the detector and just read the sweeps, the default USA mode K band sweep is something like 23.910-24.250 (and the default Ka sweep is 33.400-36.002).
Post automatically merged:

OK I had to get down to the third paragraph to find out you’re really talking about K custom frequencies. No for me.

i have Ka custom frequencies setup that are close to 2,5,6, and 8 on the Uniden- mainly to screen out ka falses. I have had no Ka falses since- might have had one before setting up custom frequencies.

I am running L and have had only 1 BSM false since driving Tuesday night- about 200 miles in heavy traffic and interstate traffic. That BSM was a Ford Flex.
How did you push the sweeps? Can you post a picture of the sweeps you're running, and a picture of the detector powered on?

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Running Logic mode.

If you factory reset the detector and just read the sweeps, the default USA mode K band sweep is something like 23.910-24.250 (and the default Ka sweep is 33.400-36.002).

How did you push the sweeps? Can you post a picture of the sweeps you're running, and a picture of the detector powered on?

I'm suspecting that changing custom sweeps may turn off some of the logic analyzer functionality that mutes / hides K band signals that aren't deemed threatening.

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
:) Going off memory is dangerous.

I remember @Buz posting something way back about pushing sweeps and then doing a reset and then re-pushing them again on the Gen1. That was for range and performance issues, not BSM stuff.

@Brainstorm69 ‘s recent test with Ka sweeps didn’t indicate any performance hits on Ka.

Running Logic mode.

Ok. Coming soon.

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
@Brainstorm69 ‘s recent test with Ka sweeps didn’t indicate any performance hits on Ka.
See my note in that thread, I don't think sweeps were actually used.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
^ That was a very good observation. I missed it.

Majbha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
For mine, I don't run custom sweeps and I barely get BSM falses. I have tested both big L and small l. At the moment, I'm trying out A mode. I'll try with custom sweeps after that and report back.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like the V1C app is pushing sweeps correctly (as expected), confirmed by the dot in the bogey counter display.

Was the 33.8 sweep there by default, or did you add it?

I wonder if it's not custom frequencies that's causing the issue I'm seeing, but rather narrowing the K band sweep range from the default increases the number of BSM falses?

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
I added it to match seg 2.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like the V1C app is pushing sweeps correctly (as expected), confirmed by the dot in the bogey counter display.

Was the 33.8 sweep there by default, or did you add it?

I wonder if it's not custom frequencies that's causing the issue I'm seeing, but rather narrowing the K band sweep range from the default increases the number of BSM falses?

So the dot indicates use of custom frequencies? Cause I don't recall seeing a dot on @Jag42's V1G2 during testing.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to be certain InsipidMonkey, I went back to factory and then set it all manually. I did not push the profile.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Maybe it's also partially luck of the draw with what cars are around you when you are driving each time? Maybe it's pure coincidence that there were more Mazdas around you when you had CF enabled? :p

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So the dot indicates use of custom frequencies? Cause I don't recall seeing a dot on @Jag42's V1G2 during testing.
Yes, the dot indicates custom frequencies are in use.

Maybe it's also partially luck of the draw with what cars are around you when you are driving each time? Maybe it's pure coincidence that there were more Mazdas around you when you had CF enabled? :p
This is definitely a possibility, and I'm not ruling it out. I'll continue toggling between modes, and having feedback from others should clear this up soon!

I added it to match seg 2.
Got it. The V1s always sweep 33.8, so pushing the 33.8 sweep is redundant. Maybe it will be beneficial on the Gen2 though if it acts as a mute for Cobra falses outside the sweep though?

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what frequency range is automatically swept for 33.8? It’s my understanding this is just for pop. What if pop is out of tune or outside the range? I assume pop scanning is looking for the radar burst and not the actual 33.8 frequency. Or maybe it’s looking for the frequency and the short burst. If pop happens at 33.699, will it be caught?

I think the BSM thing has a lot to do with geography. here in the Carolinas where I am at, you have a lot of Hondas and Toyotas and a lot of Chevys and Fords- with a mixed gaggle of other models and makes. I have just completed 3 1/2 days of driving on advance logic L and had only one BSM punch-through from the rear -Ford Flex (how do I know ? because my V1 pointed at it and told me). :)

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what frequency range is automatically swept for 33.8? It’s my understanding this is just for pop. What if pop is out of tune or outside the range? I assume pop scanning is looking for the radar burst and not the actual 33.8 frequency. Or maybe it’s looking for the frequency and the short burst. If pop happens at 33.699, will it be caught?
For the V1, from the interleaved sweeps patent, the forced Ka POP sweep was 33.675 - 33.925.

On the V1 Gen2, Mike V said the custom frequencies were just used for muting, but it has not yet tested what range is alerted to when you have custom frequencies enabled without a 33.8 sweep. Please let us know if you get any Ka falses outside of the range of the custom frequencies you are using!

Ref: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97681/

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob