New Request: "Declassify" Advanced Technical Discussion so More People can Contribute

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the requirements to hit advanced to attend a meet? Why do I distinctly remember this being enforced back in the day? I looked at the requirements now and that isn't included...

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the requirements to hit advanced to attend a meet? Why do I distinctly remember this being enforced back in the day? I looked at the requirements now and that isn't included...
Really? I can’t recall every seeing any stipulations like that for as long as I’ve been here..... not saying it was never a thing..... but I’ve never seen any requirements being any different than going to intermediate.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Really? I can’t recall every seeing any stipulations like that for as long as I’ve been here..... not saying it was never a thing..... but I’ve never seen any requirements being any different than going to intermediate.
Just saying what I recall... I don't remember this being publicized...

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Guess the thing is, it comes across one sided not knowing who your actually giving personal info to, and where it goes vs gaining confidential info, given by faceless and unidentifiable forum mods/owners we know zero about... And by all means, don't take offence by this. I'm just calling it how it is.

It may seem faceless if one is on another continent, I get it. But I have personally met face to face with half of the Owners/Responsible Parties of RDF and they were not wearing masks to conceal their identities (nor was I). During a recent test meet even with Covid, I shook hands with two of them.

I'm not exactly following what draconian laws could be in a Country that would allow what is considered hearsay to be reason enough to drag one into court. Never the less, two quick solutions: don't post anything one would get in trouble for and use a VPN (yes a VPN can be pierced but only if it is worth the trouble). Allowing the Forum Managers and Security the information required on the invite to reach Advanced isn't going to lead to anything. If one is worried about some draconian law in ones Country, stop doing what would cause a problem or don't post it on the Forum. This is fairly simple.

Just like @Heywood I have zero social media. There is actually zero reason not to fill out the Advanced Questionnaire unless one is on the FBIs 10 Most Wanted List and admits to a Felony!

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I dont use social media either. I explained in a recent questionnaire why that is. I tried a while back but it didn’t work out, sometimes its just best not to be in touch with some people from the past if you want to stay out of trouble in your present. Ha. I had to let that go years ago. I do plan to meet in person in the future since there are some people in my area but have not sought it out yet since all I have to offer is a few brands of detectors I own and have tried. I have been waiting until I take the plunge and install defenses that are needy of testing. I dont know what I might be missing but have been happy to participate this far. If more technical information is ok to move down I will certainly enjoy reading it since my background is a technical one. I can understand some have a desire to remain more anonymous but in this case I took a chance and provided the info since its not the same as just openly sharing here on the forum. There has to be a certain level of trust both ways and so thats why I was comfortable replying.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It may seem faceless if one is on another continent, I get it. But I have personally met face to face with half of the Owners/Responsible Parties of RDF and they were not wearing masks to conceal their identities (nor was I). During a recent test meet even with Covid, I shook hands with two of them.

I'm not exactly following what draconian laws could be in a Country that would allow what is considered hearsay to be reason enough to drag one into court. Never the less, two quick solutions: don't post anything one would get in trouble for and use a VPN (yes a VPN can be pierced but only if it is worth the trouble). Allowing the Forum Managers and Security the information required on the invite to reach Advanced isn't going to lead to anything. If one is worried about some draconian law in ones Country, stop doing what would cause a problem or don't post it on the Forum. This is fairly simple.

Just like @Heywood I have zero social media. There is actually zero reason not to fill out the Advanced Questionnaire unless one is on the FBIs 10 Most Wanted List and admits to a Felony!

Now that would be very cool to go to meets with forum owners and the like. I'd see that kinda like a car club for cm's. I do like this idea alot. Maybe if I'm on holiday in USA in future I'd consider this type of thing and actually hang out and talk about the culture you guys have going on.
I also should mention I'm aware of the flipside. Mods deal with the faceless alot more all the time pretty much. So I understand it works both ways in that respect, when the shoe is on the other foot.
I ponder things a fair bit and try to weigh it up in an all round kinda way. So don't get me wrong, but am the type who will think and question. Which is fair enough. We all do it at some point.
Far as I know, joining a forum like this isn't illegal and believe I still have freedom of speech. I should check though. Things are changing fast.
Fair call transporter.
My only add on to all this would be the rdf constitution. I used to think this was a solid set of rules. I've watched it bend considerably, and some of the things I've even got away with aren't the PG13+ catagory as stated either. I once tested the waters knowing what I should expect. However, it didn't.
I'm not much bothered by it, but based on experience (mine only), it has reduced confidence in the forum, but only to the point I now kind of treat it like any other. So if the constitution that's thrown around on users by mods isn't followed 100%, probably will be a few trust issues and thoughts about it.
Other than this, fairly decent site, and majority of users I've met seem to be down for the cause and fairly straightforward which is good.
In regards now to advanced, with Jon at Radenso wanting it declassified, I'm on the boat wondering its worth in secrecy and confidentiality more these days.
Anyways, that's someone else's job to figure out.

Last edited:

kwthom

n00b retiree
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In regards now to advanced, with Jon at Radenso wanting it declassified, I'm on the boat wondering its worth in secrecy and confidentiality more these days.
Yep - the owner/operators of this fine establishment...my term is 'benevolent dictatorship' :biggrin:

I suspect there's more than a few that hold (or have held in the past...) a government security clearance. You get access when you "need to know." Your management makes that decision, and the government has to concur. After all, they (the govt.) controls the information. Pretty simple. I want to believe that the way elevated access is granted around here is quite similar in this regard.

Jon's comment to start this thread months ago implies there really isn't a substantial trove of information available (or such information is diluted to some varying degree and located elsewhere...) solely based on this topic, and the lengthy discussion its has had to date.

Finally, I'd comment that the number of members who would be considered subject matter experts would be a reasonably small number of active participants. The people you'd really want to hear from could well be those that are relatively passive forum participants.

Yes, quite a number of members that have 'Advanced Member' banners, yet if the majority of the traffic is at the Int level or lower, why bother?

Anyway...back to the garage, more work ahead of me! 🖌️🖌️

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yep - the owner/operators of this fine establishment...my term is 'benevolent dictatorship' :biggrin:

I suspect there's more than a few that hold (or have held in the past...) a government security clearance. You get access when you "need to know." Your management makes that decision, and the government has to concur. After all, they (the govt.) controls the information. Pretty simple. I want to believe that the way elevated access is granted around here is quite similar in this regard.

Jon's comment to start this thread months ago implies there really isn't a substantial trove of information available (or such information is diluted to some varying degree and located elsewhere...) solely based on this topic, and the lengthy discussion its has had to date.

Finally, I'd comment that the number of members who would be considered subject matter experts would be a reasonably small number of active participants. The people you'd really want to hear from could well be those that are relatively passive forum participants.

Yes, quite a number of members that have 'Advanced Member' banners, yet if the majority of the traffic is at the Int level or lower, why bother?

Anyway...back to the garage, more work ahead of me! 🖌️🖌️
I have heard all the action is at intermediate. It's been good. So far I've seemed to have found what I've been looking for. If I was that bored and not getting anywhere, I'd have probably left long ago. I'm persistent and keep chipping away at my interest though. Never seems that difficult to level myself up in my own way and hardly ever think about banners next to usernames. Not a priority for me. I've obviously got some sort of hobby out of this I guess. Kinda funny. If anyone asked me 4 years ago if I'd be hanging out on a forum like this, I wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about.
I do tend to have a creative mind, but seriously, I could not have predicted or imagined I'd end up here at intermediate. Advanced or not, I'm still getting something out of this and still becoming more knowledgeable each time I turn up.
I can't complain about that! Advanced or not, doesn't really matter. I'll find a way eventually and think that's a half decent attitude backed with enthusiasm.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guess the thing is, it comes across one sided not knowing who your actually giving personal info to, and where it goes vs gaining confidential info, given by faceless and unidentifiable forum mods/owners we know zero about... And by all means, don't take offence by this. I'm just calling it how it is.

If you don't like or agree with how security here is implemented, that's fine and we'll take it under advisement, but the security is meant to protect RDF users and the hobby, plain and simple. It's kind of ironic that your stated reasoning --protecting yourself-- is the same. The difference is that you're applying it only to yourself and not the rest of the community. As you said, don't take offense. It is what it is, I'm just saying that because of that it should be pretty clear where RDF is coming from. Guess it's a catch22 for you.

To clarify, Jon is only asking for the "declassification" of 1 single sub-forum not the whole Advanced area.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you don't like or agree with how security here is implemented, that's fine and we'll take it under advisement, but the security is meant to protect RDF users and the hobby, plain and simple. It's kind of ironic that your stated reasoning --protecting yourself-- is the same. The difference is that you're applying it only to yourself and not the rest of the community. As you said, don't take offense. It is what it is, I'm just saying that because of that it should be pretty clear where RDF is coming from. Guess it's a catch22 for you.

To clarify, Jon is only asking for the "declassification" of 1 single sub-forum not the whole Advanced area.
All good and you're correct it's catch 22. Not just for me either.
I do see it from a security perspective. I think it's fine. It's working. That's the main thing. I suggested the passworded advanced sections (segmented) to possibly make access easier for a user. E.g someone might be wanting to know about ALP. You could vet them purely on that topic and leave the rest out for that person. Give access for a limited time then once that period expires, you could lock them out. Isn't that more secure?
Sure it may involve sussing them out. Maybe no way around that one. However, you'd have not given all access to advanced for that user, and blocked off what they aren't requesting.
Purely a suggestion and wondered if vetting could be tweaked to cater this?
(Probably not, as I think same conditions would apply, but maybe there is a way?)
I see this was in relation to advanced technical discussion declassification.
Least that is a taste of advanced for all intermediate types, should rdf proceed to do this.
I did obtain a vpn, which I'll use from now on as suggested.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I suggested the passworded advanced sections (segmented) to possibly make access easier for a user. E.g someone might be wanting to know about ALP. You could vet them purely on that topic and leave the rest out for that person. Give access for a limited time then once that period expires, you could lock them out. Isn't that more secure?
No, but it sure is way more painful and complex! :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radar1972