Heat map status when zoomed out

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
One of the things I love about HR is the heat map to alert me to dangerous locations that may not have been marked by anybody on Waze at the time.

If there's an aircraft in the distance and I'm tracking whether they're heading towards me or away from me with auto-zoom, I lose the fine granularity on the heatmap during these periods.

Does the colored bar at the top of the screen track the highest alert level, so if I'm entering a red zone on the heat map it'll always be red, or is it weighted based on all of the other factors?

If it's weighted then it might be useful to have the current heat map color show under the street name or somewhere where you can always tell what it is irrespective of the zoom level.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Does the colored bar at the top of the screen track the highest alert level, so if I'm entering a red zone on the heat map it'll always be red, or is it weighted based on all of the other factors?
The color bar corresponds to the risk score and isn't connected with the heat map.

The heat map shows data normalized to your location and doesn't depend on the time of the day. So e.g. 2 police reports per week would be red on a rural road and blue in LA downtown. This helps to be aware of frequent speed trap locations but doesn't help you with understanding how often do speed traps occur in this area.

The risk score, on the other hand, is normalized across the entire world and depends on the time of a day. It shows you clear information about the probability of having a police in the area around you at this time of a day. So, for example, if it says ~40% in 1.5mi +/- 1h and it is between 2 pm and 3 pm now (say, 2:14 pm), it means that the chance of having a police report in 1.5mi circle around you between 1pm and 4pm is approximately 40%. This estimation is based on historical data.

So the heat map is useful for being aware of speed traps locations. The risk score helps with understanding the level of police activity in the area.

If there's an aircraft in the distance and I'm tracking whether they're heading towards me or away from me with auto-zoom, I lose the fine granularity on the heatmap during these periods.

If it's weighted then it might be useful to have the current heat map color show under the street name or somewhere where you can always tell what it is irrespective of the zoom level.
For now, you can either disable aircraft auto-zoom or just mute the aircraft. Muting restores the original zoom of the map. I have a solution in mind that can help with keeping good granularity while the map is zoomed out. Knowing just current color doesn't help much due to the reasons described above -- if you see the red, you're already in a potential speed trap zone.

I'm thinking of displaying a bar showing the colors ahead of you on your current street. So imagine a bar representing 3 miles ahead of you and colored with a gradient, same as the heat map. It also won't depend on the map's zoom level.

I expect it to be released in about a month or two.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm thinking of displaying a bar showing the colors ahead of you on your current street. So imagine a bar representing 3 miles ahead of you and colored with a gradient, same as the heat map. It also won't depend on the map's zoom level.
That sounds perfect.

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM