Texas question - Speed tolerance

jeepxjdude2000

H.E. Pennypacker
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Heading down to Texas tomorrow for a quick trip. Flying into DFW, driving to Austin then on to San Antonio before flying out of SAT. I wanted to inquire with you good Texas folks as to what are the typical speed tolerances are in your state (in other words by how much can you generally exceed the speed limit before being stopped). Particularly in regards to highways/interstates.

My general rule has always been PSL+9 on surface streets (PSL 50 or under) and +14 on highways (PSL 55 or over) and I've never had a problem. But I've heard rumors that Texas is unusually strict and will stop you for as little as PSL+10 even on a high-speed interstate (and I'm talking open highways, not places approaching towns where they drop the speed limit - I know to slow down for those). Is there any truth to this or was this person just paranoid?

Assume I'm not using any CM other than Waze (I generally don't ever since I sold my Mustang GT for a truck - not worth the trouble in PA given all the K-band junk and lack of LIDAR).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The Mighty Four Banger

Time efficient
Advanced User
Reaction score
That’s strict? I wouldn’t go over +5 in the city or highway without protection. Now I do know some people that do +6-7 on highways safely too but I can’t speak much on how safe it is. there is also a good and bad exception to this rule.

good exception:
highways you can go faster if it’s with the speed of traffic, as long as you aren’t being aggressive you should be fine. What this means is people tend to do the normal limit in empty construction zones or doing 75 in a 60-65 and things like that. some people have stated that some agencies and individuals care more or less and some will get you for +6 and some wont care for +15. In my experience, several people I know have gotten DPS tickets for +8-10.

bad exception:
Some places are strapped for cash and you will get a ticket for +3. Think small towns. Happened to my friend and had another friend get a ticket for +2 in a school zone. I’m sure you could fight them but I don’t know if YOU could fight them because you’re just visiting.

That’s my 2¢, I’m sure others will have their own ideas but I have been living in San Antonio for several years now and have been up 35 plenty of times for those years. I don’t really know the Dallas area except for a couple trips up there. Dallas has a good amount of red light cameras, Austin less, and San Antonio you probably won’t even see them - all cameras do have to be marked though and with a recent law they’re starting to go away.

jeepxjdude2000

H.E. Pennypacker
Beginner User
Reaction score
That’s strict? I wouldn’t go over +5 in the city or highway without protection. Now I do know some people that do +6-7 on highways safely too but I can’t speak much on how safe it is. there is also a good and bad exception to this rule.
Haha, yes that is strict in my opinion! In PA you can drive right by a state trooper doing PSL+14 and they will ignore you (long as it's not an active work zone, snowy/icy, etc.). Just make sure you're tracking your speed via GPS and not relying on the accuracy of your speedo, because once you hit +15 they will stop you.

Thanks for your input!

The Mighty Four Banger

Time efficient
Advanced User
Reaction score
they were never truly enforceable, there were no penalties for just not paying

The law to make them illegal has so recently been signed that there are still some out there. Included was a wonderful little idea that RLC under contracts are allowed to stay until the contract runs out. I’m sure some have been pulled as the news was saying some were getting taken out the day the bill was signed. I will admit I haven’t been paying attention to any change in Austin and haven’t been to Dallas since the law so I don’t know how much of a difference there is.

I still want to get one in San Antonio to frame before they get removed.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolerance varies from agency to agency, revenuer to revenuer, and even specific location. But +5 is almost always safe. +9 on the highway is common but not universal. Anything beyond that becomes a low-percentage shot.

Texas in general has a whole lot of rolling radar. Some places will tolerate stationary revenue collection, including some spots you’ll be driving unfortunately, but if they’re sitting there taking money at gunpoint they’re not actually patrolling or anything else of value to society. So Waze and Google Maps can be pretty hit or miss, and I wouldn’t rely on it. If you’re running naked, I’d just set the cruise at +4 and settle in for a boring drive.

jeepxjdude2000

H.E. Pennypacker
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Held it at PSL +9 and had no problems. Y'all Texas folks really don't speed much because I only got passed a couple times. Though traffic did flow 15-20 over PSL in reduced speed stretches around Austin and San Antonio. Saw a decent amount of enforcement on I-35E heading south out of Dallas but otherwise things were pretty quiet. And I ended up with a Dodge Charger R/T for a rental car so behaving myself required a lot of discipline!

While I love visiting Texas my one major complaint would be San Antonio airport. I've never had a more cumbersome process when it comes to checking in a firearm. At most airports you check it in at the counter as usual, they have you wait for a minute while TSA clears it and they send you on your way. But not at SAT....they have you go into the little private room and have you sit there while TSA hand searches and swabs your entire bag. I'm 100% pro public safety/security but I don't think legally traveling with a firearm alone should subject someone to enhanced screening and I was surprised to encounter this in a supposedly conservative, gun-friendly state like Texas of all places.

jeepxjdude2000

H.E. Pennypacker
Beginner User
Reaction score
When you're in the airport, you're not in Texas. You're in fed territory, just like a post office.
True. I was just surprised to find a more stringent screening procedure at a Texas airport as opposed to places like Philadelphia, Miami, Detroit, etc.

87GN

TXCTG Rollin' Steel Wheels============
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
DPS will yank you at +5. They are looking for drugs and etc. Doesn't mean a ticket though!

Bossdad71

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard they give 10% since the speed limit went up. That was on utube a trooper told the guy he was giving a ticket to. Not sure if it was just that guy or bs

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah some troopers are bored and looking to make rank. The one trooper I asked about that once said everyone has their own tolerance (at least for actual ticket writing) His was +12, only because before he was a trooper he was let off once at +12 so he figures that’s a good number.

They know it’s BS, it’s up to each of them to decide for themselves. Usually the old “if it’s nine you’re fine, if it’s ten you’re mine” rule tends to apply fairly well. If you’re going less than +10 on the interstate, the odds of a trooper pulling you over to mess with you are minimal. Local yokels, though, totally depends.

jeepxjdude2000

H.E. Pennypacker
Beginner User
Reaction score
I heard they give 10% since the speed limit went up. That was on utube a trooper told the guy he was giving a ticket to. Not sure if it was just that guy or bs
Yeah I've heard the same. I'd consider that to be strict...most other states will give you PSL+14 grace on a 65+ highway. Heck PA state police will let you get away with +24 on most PSL 55 highways.

rvacs

Scanning da Road
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I will tell you around the Austin area - HEAVY use of Laser!
Less officers doing speed enforcement due to the Virus and other concerns.
However the ones out will try to make up for it and write more tickets being less leanient.

Strong suggestion - when coming down I-35 (outside Georgetown) you will see a sign for TOLL 130 South (SanAntonio/Houston) - take it...parts of the way are 80 MPH and little traffic - you will have a faster better drive around the edge of Austin and miss the traffic.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnl