Highway Radar didn't track police helicopter

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This one surprised me, because Highway Radar is great with tracking helicopters. Last night I noticed that it wasn't tracking a helicopter that was operating in my area.

I do have ignore unknown aircraft enabled, so turned that off and it still didn't appear. Added in a secondary data source and that didn't help. It was showing on flightradar24 though, with an LAPD tail number, so it's strange that it didn't show.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
If anything like this happens it is a good idea to use a feedback form in the app (enable in general settings, then tap three times on your speed and record a voice message). This way the app sends me the entire data it has in memory so I can investigate easier.

I think the app could mark that helicopter as safe for some reason. Do you still have its tail number and approximate time of the event? I need to check what could have happened. Some of the reasons could be too high speed or altitude, or wrong information in the database. Also, there could be an issue with my filtering algorithm, so more investigation is needed.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
After some investigation it turned out that that helicopter had a weird registration record in the FAA database which made the app to mark it safe. I'll update the filtering algorithm to properly handle such cases soon.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM