Getting a new car

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My 2010 Toyota Sequoia with 180K miles has died. Maybe the CARona virus. I can probably get it fixed and continue on, but I no longer trust it and I drive way out in West Texas often and I want something reliable. I will buy either something new or low milage late model.

QUESTION: I want to make sure my new vehicle is compatible with a windsheild mounted RD. I'm currently running a V1G1 but will soon be ordering a V1G2. Of course, I will look at the Theia when it comes out. I plan to run either on a blendmount.

My concerns are : 1. A windshield that blocks radar waves, and 2. any sort of BSM or cruise control emission that will set off my detector. I am considering a Lincoln Navigator, Toyota Sequoia, or Chevy Tahoe. New or very late model, deluxe packages (and, yes, I have seen what a Black Label Navigator goes for).

I am pretty sure the Tahoe & Sequoia are OK, but I have some questions as to the Navigator. My 2010 Sequoia was a great car (til now), but I don't think Toyota has updated it. The Navigator has a great 10 speed transmission. My main questions are related to using a windshield mounted RD, but any other comments are welcome.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You are more likely to run into BSM issues with a Tahoe than a Navigator. I can't even recall the last time a Ford BSM has triggered any of my RDs. Same with Toyotas their BSMs seem to behave well with RDs. Having said that, with V1G2 the Tahoe BSM may not even be an issue with it's improved BSM rejection.

GTO_04

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
And as long as the windows are not double pane or ceramic coated for thermal insulation then you should be fine mounting toll transponders and RD. Otherwise it will cut range down a bit even with the “ cutouts “

Reactions: XDA

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Newer Navigators do have athermic windshields. You can tell by the slightly blue tint when looking at them from outside of the vehicle. Especially with polarized sunglasses.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I want to make sure my new vehicle is compatible with a windsheild mounted RD.
Go get the owner's manual for one and see if it says anything about specific places to set toll tags and GPS units and such. If not, you should be fine. Hell, I imagine the brochures for whatever vehicle would be bragging about how they have special heat-rejecting glass in place, no owner's manual required.

Newer Navigators do have athermic windshields. You can tell by the slightly blue tint when looking at them from outside of the vehicle. Especially with polarized sunglasses.
Lots of vehicles look like that through polarized sunglasses. I'm not sure that's a foolproof slam dunk way to say it's got a metallized layer. I just looked through the 2020 Navigator brochure, where they brag about the smallest things, and there's absolutely zero mention of anything even close, even with the Black Label.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Go get the owner's manual for one and see if it says anything about specific places to set toll tags and GPS units and such. If not, you should be fine. Hell, I imagine the brochures for whatever vehicle would be bragging about how they have special heat-rejecting glass in place, no owner's manual required.

Lots of vehicles look like that through polarized sunglasses. I'm not sure that's a foolproof slam dunk way to say it's got a metallized layer. I just looked through the 2020 Navigator brochure, where they brag about the smallest things, and there's absolutely zero mention of anything even close, even with the Black Label.
Search Lincoln Navigator EZ Pass and there are tons of pages mentioning issues with the windshield blocking the transponders. It seems like it may be limited to those who get the HUD option though.

Reactions: XDA

Normsky

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, the GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, and the Cadillac Escalade account for 50% of all large SUV sales in the US. GM makes 340,000 of them every year and exports about 80,000 to 31 countries. They’re made in GM’s plant in Arlington, Texas, which is said to be the most profitable assembly plant in the world. We estimate they generate $20 billion in revenue for GM and about $4 billion in profits. Autoline Daily

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
And as long as the windows are not double pane or ceramic coated for thermal insulation then you should be fine mounting toll transponders and RD. Otherwise it will cut range down a bit even with the “ cutouts “

Ceramic coating doesn’t affect RD, cellular, or WiFi performance. Metallic based window films and treatments will negatively affect it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man