HR blind to police pins?

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
I used HR on a 6 hour drive today. The app worked great for the most part. However, I had one period of around a half hour during which I drove by four separate Waze reports (three same road, one opposite side), and in three out of the four cases the police were still at the marked location. I checked the original report times on Waze for a couple of them and they were much newer than 30 minutes. HR completely failed to alert to any of these pins. They were not on the map or on the arrows display. It actually seemed not to be picking up any new reports at all during this time. I tried restarting the app and the phone running the app without success. The display on the bottom right was showing that Waze and aircraft alerts were both receiving updates and there were no connection problems. After some time, the app resumed normal operation and alerted to the rest of the Waze pins on the way back. I am a little alarmed by what happened, though. Is there anything that could have caused this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I used HR on a 6 hour drive today. The app worked great for the most part. However, I had one period of around a half hour during which I drove by four separate Waze reports (three same road, one opposite side), and in three out of the four cases the police were still at the marked location. I checked the original report times on Waze for a couple of them and they were much newer than 30 minutes. HR completely failed to alert to any of these pins. They were not on the map or on the arrows display. It actually seemed not to be picking up any new reports at all during this time. I tried restarting the app and the phone running the app without success. The display on the bottom right was showing that Waze and aircraft alerts were both receiving updates and there were no connection problems. After some time, the app resumed normal operation and alerted to the rest of the Waze pins on the way back. I am a little alarmed by what happened, though. Is there anything that could have caused this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi, thanks for the heads up, I need to investigate this a little bit more. Could you share some info about the area where the incident happened. Is it an urban or rural area? Or maybe you can share the exact location. Also, what is your alerting radius?

I have a guess what it could be from the description, however I need to info above to confirm or reject my hypothesis.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the heads up, I need to investigate this a little bit more. Could you share some info about the area where the incident happened. Is it an urban or rural area? Or maybe you can share the exact location. Also, what is your alerting radius?

I have a guess what it could be from the description, however I need to info above to confirm or reject my hypothesis.
Crowded urban area. Two of the incidents were in Manhattan and the other two were on Interstate 87 in the Bronx. Alerting radius is set at 1 mile for front/back/side and 10 miles for same street.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Crowded urban area. Two of the incidents were in Manhattan and the other two were on Interstate 87 in the Bronx. Alerting radius is set at 1 mile for front/back/side and 10 miles for same street.
Ok, that is exactly what I was thinking about. I have an Idea what could go wrong will fix it in the nexy update. Long story short, you had too many alerts around you and some of them were trimmed. As a workaround for now, you can reduce the same street alert to 5-7mi, this should help. Also, outside of dense urban areas, this shouldn't be an issue.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok, that is exactly what I was thinking about. I have an Idea what could go wrong will fix it in the nexy update. Long story short, you had too many alerts around you and some of them were trimmed. As a workaround for now, you can reduce the same street alert to 5-7mi, this should help. Also, outside of dense urban areas, this shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, once I got farther away from NYC the app resumed normal operation alerting to police around me. It's good to know that this is a known issue and where the problem tends to occur. I'll just keep a closer eye on Waze in denser areas, or set up another settings profile with less same street alert distance for those areas. Thanks for your prompt help and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next update brings.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Yes, once I got farther away from NYC the app resumed normal operation alerting to police around me. It's good to know that this is a known issue and where the problem tends to occur. I'll just keep a closer eye on Waze in denser areas, or set up another settings profile with less same street alert distance for those areas. Thanks for your prompt help and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next update brings.
Yeah, setting profiles should help. I'll do my best to fix this ASAP.

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM