Theia Range Speculation

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a source of X band falsing other than door/proximity detectors?
I haven't run X in quite a long time, but I've heard a lot of big rig collision avoidance systems use it. There's a speed sign I know of in the area that uses it. Not sure what else may be out there since I haven't run with it on in so long.

There’s only certain guns allowed for enforcement. You don’t need to gather all of them.
Which?

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Since Theia will have GPS, perhaps it would be possible to add a feature that allows user to pre-select sensitivity for specific areas, with PC program or phone app. Something like world map where you can select the sensitivity areas of any size, and Theia would react automatically when you cross the "border".

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, whether it offers that at launch or not, that should definitely be doable. There should be lots of options along these lines, including progressively increasing range with speed, for example, or maybe even as a function of PSL if that PSL info can be reliably obtained from somewhere. Some cars include speed sign recognition, but Theia isn’t planned to have any camera that I’m aware of :)

Maybe some enterprising developer could find a way to integrate with vehicular sign recognition systems for cars that have it.

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
JBV1 and Highway Radar obtain PSL data from Open Street Maps, if I'm not mistaken. It is not fully complete and does not cover school or construction zones, naturally.

gordog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Someone give this man ^ their first born lol
I'd be willing, but unfortunately my first born is a Mechanical Engineer with a Master's in Civil Engineering. Doubt he'd be a very good fit. :)

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's Friday... we all know what that means :)

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
That videos are being shot and edited at home?
It means the possibility to see and learn something new from Radenso. Weekly update, remember?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
That videos are being shot and edited at home?
We just posted it, but this is likely our last video at the office for a while. I am packing up all our equipment and valuables now. Taking the whole camera studio home for safety.

OEM

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That's the way it's going. It's what the community tests for and asks for first, so if we want to sell product we have to deliver on range. As long as detector manufacturers provide an ability to let the user turn down range, I don't see the harm in it.
Are you able to figure out range kind of like a submarines sonar or air traffic control radar?
Post automatically merged:

Never mind the above post, I saw your later post.

Last edited:

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Are you able to figure out range kind of like a submarines sonar or air traffic control radar?

Never mind the above post, I saw your later post.
I'm curious....did you used to post at hardforums (a computer enthusiast forum)?

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think any receiver can determine range unless it can triangulate the emitter's direction with another receiver. An emitter can determine range by measuring the time it takes for the signal to return from the target.

(As a completely unrelated side note, failure to understand how radar works can have serious consequences. In 1941 the German battleship Bismarck had broken out into the North Atlantic and was attempting to elude the pursuing British fleet. They were able to detect the search radar of a British ship, and assumed that meant that the British knew where they were. So they made a long coded transmission to the German naval headquarters. While the British hadn't received there own radar transmission back they were able to triangulate the long radio transmission and locate the Bismark. Subsequently they sent carrier aircraft and surface vessels to sink the Bismarck with the loss of about 2000 German seamen.)

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso

Just for my part, I'd also like to make a few observations... I really don't think it is quite a fair comparison to present Theia compared to the R7 as done on your website. I really admire what you are doing with Theia, but I don't think anyone should yet underestimate Uniden's capabilities and what has been accomplished by the R7.

Specifically you suggest here (attached) that the R7 has an inferior processor and operating system. Don't overlook this. The R7 is based upon ARM, this is a Risc based processor with Risc OS at its core (if ever needed). Risc based systems are far more efficient and comparing a risc based processor speed to a non risc based one is just not a valid comparison. My raspberry Pi running native Risc OS on its ARM processor (which I use for building Uniden updates) runs faster for most things than my Apple MacBook Pro! I would therefore consider the Risc based processor is likely more than comparable to what Theia is proposing (assuming yours is not Risc based). Both Windows and Apple, are themselves likely moving to ARM in future for their laptops as its power efficiency and computational power has more than stood the test of time.

Lets also consider that the R7 is actually running assembly language built specifically for its Risc based processor, the code in the firmware is also well written. The R7 therefore has no need for standalone operating system. The R7 is itself built upon a 32 bit system, However, Uniden have cleverly worked out how they can extend this to work with 64bit numbers where needed (as evidenced by their 64 bit gps accuracy coupled with highly efficient memory usage). Therefore whilst you admire the R7s horn, I also admire Uniden's coding abilities, firmware and unique gps system.

Based upon the amount of reverse engineering on the Uniden firmware I have accomplished to date, I can also reveal that Uniden has definitely limited the capability of the R7 in its firmware (presently they just have no competitive need to push it to its limits). My work on the firmware also suggests that Uniden are also well aware how to detect and implement automatic silencing of modulated false signals on K band.

Accordingly, I really admire what you are doing as a whole, and agree open-source is the way forward. I do however, look forward to seeing how Uniden respond to the competitive threat posed by Theia, I just hope it works out in everyones favour.

Attachments

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My raspberry Pi running native Risc OS on its ARM processor (which I use for building Uniden updates) runs faster for most things than my Apple MacBook Pro!
Yikes. So Apple must be moving back to PowerPC any day now, right?

The good news is that I have a scar on my forearm that gets dark sometimes when bad weather is rolling in. And that has about as much to do with anything as does your comparisons and frankly ridiculous claims. “Uniden could eliminate all BSM falses if they wanted to, but they just don’t feel like it right now.”

I guess we’ll see if Uniden pays Attowave to make better firmware for them for the detector that Attowave designed and built for them. After all, the R7 is more powerful than the latest high end personal computers and is being intentionally held back in its abilities by artificially limiting its performance in firmware.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also reckon the R7 must have more than 64kb of memory, since I just built a 152kb gps file which covers all of the USA and Canada with 9407 separate gps alerts in it. This same file also installs even on their older models like the LRD950.

@Deacon, you just put a lot of words in my mouth. Well here's my firmware update DFR9 with modulated false detection!? I can't explain why my change to some of the settings in the firmware made it do what it did, but they did.

This setting also reduced sensitivity against our mobile redflex, which was only detectable running K wide, so I had to find this feature so I could disable it, and improve sensitivity.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I also reckon the R7 must have more than 64kb of memory, since I just built a 152kb gps file which covers all of the USA and Canada with 9407 separate gps alerts in it. This same file also installs even on their older models like the LRD950.
I don’t know either way, but it sounds like you’re confusing memory for storage. While that would be consistent, it’s all the more confusing coming from you.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Okay, lets also assume that the R7 does just have 256kb of flash used for gps database. Thats still enough 'storage' for 16,000 gps alerts at equivalent to 64 bit accuracy, e.g. Uniden latest gps database with a speed camera located exactly in its memory at: 53.71379089,-113.1894608. Thats likely to be more than adequate, surely!?

A refresh rate every second for gps is also more than adequate. That is conventional, and could easily increased by firmware alone. Even on an arduino you can increase the gps refresh rate but its generally not needed.

My point is, that simply that Uniden has done a good job with the R7, and there's a reason they're currently No.1 in radar detection for a windshield mount. How long that continues once Theia is released will remain to be seen.

@Deacon Please also consider what others have said,

I was serious when I said Apple may be moving to ARM:

Last edited:

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
...but I don't think anyone should yet underestimate Uniden's capabilities and what has been accomplished by the R7.
Uniden's capabilities cannot change its basic nature, i.e., intercepting certain frequencies which it interprets as a radar gun being used by a LEO. However, regarding the R7, there's value in being the best of the old paradigm devices.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choymw