Theia Range Speculation

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Pushed back a bit compared to what I expected at SEMA but still 2020.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Pushed back a bit compared to what I expected at SEMA but still 2020.
Take your time... Don’t rush it just for our sakes... make sure it is a quality product BEFORE launch... and all bugs are rectified.

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Take your time... Don’t rush it just for our sakes... make sure it is a quality product BEFORE launch... and all bugs are rectified.
Nah... I would like it June 1st, so I can get out and play with my toys. :holy: No shell needed... take it as is with Beta FWs coming down.

CobawLT2010

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah... I would like it June 1st, so I can get out and play with my toys. :holy: No shell needed... take it as is with Beta FWs coming down.
Yeah if that’s how it’s going to be then I won’t buy till next year or longer... beta firmwares and bugs are no fun... especially if they leave you with red and blues behind you...

I will never speed with a beta product... It’s not worth the risk.

Last edited:

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah if that’s how it’s going to be then I won’t buy till next year or longer... beta firmwares and bugs are no fun... especially if they leave you with red and blues behind you...

I will never speed with a beta product... It’s not worth the risk.
I hear ya... though if one is playing with Beta, should know potential flaws can occur and be ready for that fire.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I consider all current radar detectors either outdated as stand-alone packages or functionally beta products (even if not in name). How we have put up with shit like detectors that lock up, forget their settings/lockouts, can detect "half" of MRCD cameras, have a 20% failure rate, etc, is just mind blowing to me.

CobawLT2010

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I consider all current radar detectors either outdated as stand-alone packages or functionally beta products (even if not in name). How we have put up with shit like detectors that lock up, forget their settings/lockouts, can detect "half" of MRCD cameras, have a 20% failure rate, etc, is just mind blowing to me.
My R3/R1 is nothing close to beta...

I don’t have MRCD in my area so I don’t care about that functionality and I’ve never experienced any of those other issues you mentioned with it.

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I don’t have MRCD in my area so I don’t care about that functionality and I’ve never experienced any of those other issues you mentioned with it.
So you have had no false alerts with your R3/R1? Your R3/R1 is perfect? Then why even consider buying Theia?

To state the obvious, Jon's post was not an exhaustive list of the deficiencies with the current crop of radar detectors.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score

I would agree that the R3 is the most solid current detector out there. But there are still bugs and issues with it, just like every other detector. Performance varies drastically from firmware to firmware. It's why there are threads like 50 pages long with users clamoring for updates to fix things. Whether or not you care about the particular issues that exist has no relevance to the finished state of the overall product.

CobawLT2010

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So you have had no false alerts with your R3/R1? Your R3/R1 is perfect? Then why even consider buying Theia?

To state the obvious, Jon's post was not an exhaustive list of the deficiencies with the current crop of radar detectors.
I can actually say I do not on the highway... maybe one or two every 1k miles...

which is what I primarily drive...
Post automatically merged:

I would agree that the R3 is the most solid current detector out there. But there are still bugs and issues with it, just like every other detector. Performance varies drastically from firmware to firmware. It's why there are threads like 50 pages long with users clamoring for updates to fix things. Whether or not you care about the particular issues that exist has no relevance to the finished state of the overall product.
Again, I haven’t run into them...

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree completely Jon. We've just learned to accept the various shortcomings of our RD's over the years.

Falsing to non-leo sources? Yeah well, that's just comes with the territory I guess. After all, it's a real police radar frequency so what can they do about it? GPS lockouts? They're a pretty good bandaid but no help when I'm driving in unfamiliar territory.

Falsing to BSM's? Yeah well, just comes with the territory I guess. After all, it's a real police radar frequency so what can they do about it? Some RD's filter them out better than others, but that's always a performance compromise isn't it?

If Theia can overcome the above 2 issues which all RD's have to some degree and provide outstanding range, this boy will be deliriously happy. The RD market is overdue for some no compromises tech, and I'll be quite happy to pay for it.

Torontonian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Was wondering what would happen if a new police radar/laser equipment came out. Would theia still alert to them on its current software? Or will it not alert until you get hands on the new equipment also to learn and read the signals. And is it easy to keep up with new radar/laser equipment coming out to the market for LEOs
(Sorry if it sounds like a noob questions. Not too much of a tech savvy person)

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what would happen if a new police radar/laser equipment came out. Would theia still alert to them on its current software? Or will it not alert until you get hands on the new equipment also to learn and read the signals. And is it easy to keep up with new radar/laser equipment coming out to the market for LEOs
(Sorry if it sounds like a noob questions. Not too much of a tech savvy person)
It’s not easy to churn out Lidar and radar equipment.

Tooling, patents, applications. Investments. Convincing buyers to spend money on things just to try and combat a very small portion of people that use CM’s.

They also can’t be all that secret about it either. All the manufactures would know about it well before it would hit the market.

Some companies may also use the same components in their newer guns. If that’s the case, RAI might still recognize it by manufacturer.

In Radenso’s RAI platform, they would take their portable field unit to the location, get a reading then train RAI. Pump out an updated. All in house. No relying on anyone else.

It really won’t be that difficult for Radenso. It’s more problematic for the gun manufactures on so many more levels. A very big expense for minimal return. There lots of fish in the barrel.

Lidar... different animal. No matter how well a radar detector manufacturer makes their Lidar detection, it’s no replacement for a dedicated Lidar jammer system.

It’s, (a radar detector) ,is just physically not better. Placement of the radar detector vs. the halo of the Lidar beam and where it’s shot at..... it can’t really compete.

The physical properties of the light of a Lidar beam vs the spread of a RF wave, different ballgame.

Last edited:

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
More solid than the R7? Just curious. The R7 seems to give an extra few hundred feet of warning over the R3 in a lot of cases, which - who knows - maybe that could make the difference. With the R3 - sensing the threat beyond visual range can be frustrating because you just don't know where the threat is and sometimes you never do see them, while the R7 provides a general sense of where the threat is located.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
More solid than the R7? Just curious. The R7 seems to give an extra few hundred feet of warning over the R3 in a lot of cases, which - who knows - maybe that could make the difference. With the R3 - sensing the threat beyond visual range can be frustrating because you just don't know where the threat is and sometimes you never do see them, while the R7 provides a general sense of where the threat is located.
I tend not to really discriminate between the two since they are based on the same architecture, I think both are solid. R3 probably a bit more since it's had more time to refine the FW, but both are great.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Our "faux radar detector" test equipment with a piece of metal taped in front of the entire horn is more sensitive than the max360c. True story. I was very bored during the lockdown so we did real world distance testing with it lol.

eric15178

If you ain't 1st you're last-Ricky Bobby
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Man, to the people knocking the importance of longe range must never drive on the highway. Kinda necessary when traffics lighter on the interstate at plus 15 20 or dead 2 lane highways. Dial it back in town, boom problem solved.

The no falsing is really the big seller to me. To not have to be looking at the frequency trying to figure out if it's legit or not and just know if it beeps it's for real. Hopefully it works as advertised and doesn't miss some old pos gun in some small town that's not used hardly anywhere anymore that any traditional detector would pick up.

I ain't no millionaire so hopefully the price isn't too crazy. Unfortunately i probably will have to hold off for a bit, some alps will have to be my next cm purchase. Thinking about just doing the front to save some money. Unfortunately was stuck in a loaner car all of last month thanks to a tech that broke a bunch of crap on my car. Now that i got it back and still get to spend about 400 bucks fixing his carelessness, back to thinking if I'm goona get a new car in the very near future or just ride this til the end. Either way thou, I'd have to wait til some testing has been done just to make sure all is well.

My other concerns are just normal detector stuff. Wait to make sure the bugs if there are any are workes out. Hope it's solid and doesn't have something break, requiring it to be sent back for service.

Other concern is mount being sturdy and not falling off the glass in cold or hot. Speaker that's loud enough to hear over loud music and windows down, and doesn't blow after a year of having it at max volume.

I hope everything goes well with it, no problems, and ends up being the best detector in the world. We shall see.

Haven't been on in a bit. Didn't even know bout the v1g2 til yesterday. Between the slower work, car gone for a month and still issues, making for long days

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs259