New V1 Generation 2 FAQ

camkuhns

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just had an encounter with a Louisiana State Police and I am not impressed with the results at all. He was parked in a pharmacy parking lot and I was approaching. I received a Ka Band alert about 100 yards before seeing him and the signal strength never went past one bar until i passed him but then it maxed at two bars. Right when I passed him the arrows switched from the front to the side then to the rear so I know for sure that it was him alerting. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I have had some great experience with detecting at long range but encounters like this make me doubt the detector. He could have easily pulled me over but luckily I was doing exactly the speed limit on cruise control set at 50mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It could be that his radar gun wasn‘t pointing your way. If that’s the case, then you would have gotten a weaker signal from him.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The old V1 manual had a link to the ESP documentation for making your own accessories.

I don't see it mentioned in the Gen 2 manual, the old links don't work, and the files don't seem to be on archive.org

http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/ESP/PDF/ESP Hardware Specification.pdf
http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/ESP/PDF/ESP Technical Specification.pdf

I'm assuming all the available documentation for the Gen 2 is on github here, right?

dkast85

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I ordered mine on the 18th and haven’t even gotten a notification that it has shipped.

Side note: Anyone want to buy my old V1?

Marcus Reid

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm on board and am going to buy a gen2 as soon as the hardware stabilizes. Valentine has the right approach: open API, do one thing and do it well (output to apps to do the rest, which they do a better job of.) The reason V1 has a community that supports it with awesome apps is that it brings the best detector to the table, and adheres to these principles. I won't consider another.

Anyone have any info about what is breaking? Hi-res before/after shots of the boards would be useful here. Or of course some info from the company, which as far as I know is not forthcoming.

mikano

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Valentine Research released the much anticipated new version of the V1, the Valentine 1 Generation 2, on March 4th, 2020. This post is an attempt to compile what we know so far and answer some common questions.

View attachment 141385 View attachment 141386
Image credit: FCC and @LukeWes

All new radar and laser detector: Inside the all-new magnesium case is an all-new, and patented, radar-seeking engine, adapted from a concept used by military CHIRP radars to find fainter targets farther away with higher precision. New View attachment 141797 technology ups the scan rate to hundreds of times per second.

Longer Range: Ka-band Range is impressively better in V1 Gen2. K-band range is also improved. Our new View attachment 141798 and LNA technologies enable a substantial range increase over traditional V1.

Fewer Radar False Alarms: V1 Gen2 introduces K-Verifier technology to improve resistance to Blind Spot Detection systems in new cars. K-Verifier also extends to K-band a technique that we’ve proven over the years against X-band to reduce annoyance from automatic store door openers.

New Operating Controls: V1 Gen2 has a simplified control set consisting of top-mounted buttons for “Volume +” and “Volume -.” A front-mounted Control Button replaces the Control Knob of V1. These buttons are easier to use while wearing gloves and simplify programming procedures.

Improved Display Legibility: V1 Gen2 has our time-proven display with the Arrows and the Bogey Counter. To improve contrast and readability in bright sun conditions we’ve added a violet color filter. The back-lit band indicators now spell out the band(s) being detected.

Easier, Quicker Upgrade Procedure for V1 Gen2: When firmware upgrades are indicated at some point in the future, they will be downloadable to your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet, which connects wirelessly to V1 Gen2 through its built-in Bluetooth 5.0.

Wireless Connectivity: V1 Gen2 comes with built-in Bluetooth 5.0, enabling a wireless connection to your Apple or Android smartphones and tablets. Our free app—V1Connection, the app—can run on your device, giving you a revolutionary new way of analyzing the live stream of threat information flowing from V1 Gen2. You’ll also have access to future firmware upgrades and other third-party apps.

Stealth breakthrough: V1 Gen2 is much less detectable by Radar-Detector Detectors. New range-improving LNA technology also blocks internally generated signals from reaching significantly beyond your car.

Adapted for Engine Stop-Start Vehicles: V1 Gen2 includes our built-in BOB, the Brown-Out-Booster. This keeps V1 Gen2 operating smoothly during voltage dips caused by automatic engine restarts.

Earphone Connection: V1 Gen2 includes a built-in earphone socket for private sound awareness. Bring your own earphone with a 3.5mm jack. Nothing further required.

New Magnesium Case: V1 Gen2 has a new magnesium case with a thinner profile to lessen view blockage. The new case also has an acoustic grill to protect the sound transducer.

Complete with standard V1 accessories:

• Newly-designed windshield mount with new suction cups.
  • Newly-designed visor mount.
  • New Lighter Power Adapter.
  • New Direct-wire Power Adapter.
  • New coiled cord.
  • New straight cord.
  • New wire-harness connector.
  • New Quick Start Guide and downloadable Owner's Manual.
  • Spare fuse.
  • Spare suction cups.
  • Dual-Lock fastener.
One-year limited warranty, same as new units, starting at Upgrade date.

Q: What's different in the new version?
A: A lot!

• The RF board is completely redesigned, and should offer superior performance compared to Gen 1.
  • The knob is gone, and has been replaced by a power/mute button and volume buttons.
  • The display layout and case design have been revised.
  • The unit now includes built in Bluetooth connectivity and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
  • The mount has been slightly revised.
Q: How much does it cost and where can I get it?
A:
$499 + S&H. You can call Valentine Research to order (1-800-331-3030), or order online https://store.valentine1.com/Store/item.asp?i=20020

Q: Why add Bluetooth?
A:
Bluetooth connectivity allows you to pair a phone to your V1 to make it easy to program settings, get audio alerts over phone/car speakers, and use apps like JBV1 and V1Driver to add advanced functionality (eg automatic lockouts, speed based muting, alert logging, etc). It also allows for software updates to the detector using the V1Connection app.

Q: Is it compatible with existing V1 accessories?
A:
Yes, the V1 Gen2 is compatible with accessories like SAVVY, the Concealed Display, and the Remote Audio Adapter that have the ESP logo on them. It is not clear whether legacy devices are supported. A new version of the Concealed Display will be released later this year. Also, the new detector incorporates several accessories directly into the device, by adding a 3.5mm headphone jack, BT to use a phone for eSAVVY speed based muting and as a remote display, and an integrated Brown-out-Booster for compatibility with vehicles with auto start-stop technology.

Q: Does it have GPS?
A: No
, GPS is not built into the detector. For a discussion of why, see here:
GPS functionality can be added via one of the V1 apps described below.

Q: Does it have good BSM filtering?
A: Yes!
Initial reports are that it is has the best BSM filtering of any WS mount detector https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97542/post-1403735

Q: How is the detection range/performance?
A:
Many tests are planned for the near future, and you can read initial reports here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97248/

Q: Can it be detected by radar detector detectors (RDDs)?
A: No
, testing with the Spectre III shows it is functionally stealth: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97358/
Further testing with the Spectre Elite is planned as well.

Q: Is the case still made of magnesium?
The new V1 still has a magnesium case.

Q: Can it detect MRCD/MRCT?
A:
We don't know yet. Waiting on testing and more information from VR.

Q: What is under the hood?
A:
Check out the FCC filing with pictures of the internals here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97236/

Q: What about all of the recent VR patents?
A:
You can read up on the patents that have been implemented in the V1 Gen2 here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97212/

Q: What apps can be used with the V1 Gen2?
A:
The official V1Connection app from VR (Android, iOS), JBV1 (Android), and V1Driver (Android, iOS) are all being updated to work with the new V1. The V1Connection iOS app has been updated, the remaining apps should be updated soon.

Q: What's different about programming?
A:
The V1Gen2 now supports "custom frequencies" in both USA and Euro mode. The options to enable/disable Ka Guard and Ka Responsiveness have been removed, as well as some of the options related to K band muting logic.

Q: Is there a manual available?
A:
A quick reference guide is included with the detector and can be seen in the FCC filing linked above. A full manual is available on the Valentine website, and is attached below.

Q: Is there a trade-in program?
A: Yes
. Enter your serial number here for complete details: https://store.valentine1.com/Upgrades/default.asp

Q: Can the V1 Gen2 be updated by the user?
Software updates can now be done over Bluetooth using the V1Connection App.

Q: How do I program the V1 Gen2?
A:
See here: https://www.valentine1.com/the-v1-difference/v1-programming/

Q: What mode should I run my new V1 Gen2 in?
A: It depends
on what threats you face and how much information you want to receive. Most users will be happy running Logic Mode (little 'L'), where X and K band alerts deemed to be non-threatening will be reported at the muted volume level. If you rarely face K band, running in Advanced Logic Mode (big 'L') will provide an even quieter experience by not reporting weak X and K band alerts deemed non-threatening. Some users may prefer running in All Bogeys Mode (big 'A'), which presents all alerts to the user.

Please feel free to post any questions (and answers if you have them!) below and I will update the FAQ periodically.

What about the V1 hardwired cable , can we used the old hardwire instead of replacing it for the V1G2 ?

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What about the V1 hardwired cable , can we used the old hardwire instead of replacing it for the V1G2 ?

Yes, though not necessary to double-up on Brown Out Booster (BOB) since one is already built into V1G2. And not recommended to run separate BT or BT LE dongle for same reason, unless you need to run several connected accessories (not a common configuration).

Porsche0911

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Can I access the menu functions using the remote audio adapter? Or just through the V1 itself.On the fence about purchasing the audio adapter. Thanks
You can manage the V1Gen2 through JBV1

MichaelC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Valentine DIDN'T add voice alerts. Sorry but that's just inexcusable. Instead you get the same stupid lights. Sorry but that just doesn't cut it. I've asked them many times when are you going to install a chip voice alerts. This is beyond simple yet each time the women on the phone dismiss it as not important. I want to HEAR the voice alert.

I'm not going to buy a GEN 2 until they add voice alerts or they provide proof this is somehow better than the V1 and not just a package change tactic to pacify their base.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not going to buy a GEN 2 until they add voice alerts or they provide proof this is somehow better than the V1 and not just a package change tactic to pacify their base.
I doubt they will add voice alerts to the detector itself and many of us don't want that.
JBV1 and some other apps will give you voice announcements beyond your expectations about alerts and other things as well. I have mine telling me which brand of gun is hitting me with Ka.

There is tons of proof right here on RDF that the Gen2 is better than the Gen1. There's roughly 150+ RDF members (out of 250-275 active members) that have bought one. There's many impressions posted in multiple threads. :)

Last edited:

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Valentine DIDN'T add voice alerts. Sorry but that's just inexcusable. Instead you get the same stupid lights. Sorry but that just doesn't cut it. I've asked them many times when are you going to install a chip voice alerts. This is beyond simple yet each time the women on the phone dismiss it as not important. I want to HEAR the voice alert.

It's beyond stupid to worry about Voice alerts instead of functionality improvement.

They have provided proof the new detector is "somehow better" than the V1G1. In fact, they have provided proof that it's leaps and bounds better. It's far better at being quiet to nuisance alerts from BSMs. Its improvement on Ka is unbelievably better. Its ability to integrate with displays and phones is improved. Its ability to be updated without sending it in is a HUGE improvement over the previous generation.

The only thing I would say isn't an improvement over the old generation is that it lacks the volume knob.

I get it that voice alerts are cool. I used to be hung up on that too. I thought when they first appeared on other detectors, they were neat. I tried them and kept them for a while and eventually just disabled them. They interfered with my ability to monitor the ramp up to determine the level of threat I was facing. Eventually they fixed some of that by delaying the voice alert on detectors, but would still end up muting the audible signal strength to announce "Ka band". Yeah. I know it's Ka band. I could tell by the distinctive tone. Then they added frequency announcement, which helped.

I have found that with the V1G2, I can have the voice alerts announced over my phone. Meanwhile my detector never skips a beat in letting me know the progression of the threat, not only that...I can actually customize the voice alerts over my phone to how I want the announcement. To date, I have yet to find another detector I can get the same level of information from without distracting myself from driving.

Brilliant

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would argue that outside of Range, BSM is #1 and #2 is MRCD as it is becoming more important then voice IMO. I would prefer not to use ANY PHONE at all with the RD.

If Theia can do those and more it might do well, but Apple plug and play won over the plug and pray devices. Just saying.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would prefer not to use ANY PHONE at all with the RD.
With all the things that JBV1 does, we are glad that our detectors work with it. For many of us, it's not about running something with a detector; it's a few additional layers of countermeasure equipment that plays nicely with the hardware.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
I would argue that outside of Range, BSM is #1 and #2 is MRCD as it is becoming more important then voice IMO. I would prefer not to use ANY PHONE at all with the RD.

If Theia can do those and more it might do well, but Apple plug and play won over the plug and pray devices. Just saying.

Theia, when it arrives, should handle that and much more. And I will still run a smart phone with it for the additional awareness and additional counter-measures. For example, name an RD that alerts you to Traffic Patrol Aircraft or shows you up to date weather for the area you are heading into?

Yes it is all in what one is looking for, to accomplish, willing to pay for, and ease of use. Let me tell you this, over more than the last two years @johnboy00 has refined his App to the point that all I have to do is start the vehicle. My V1G2 boots automatically because it is hardwired to an Ignition On fused circuit (same for my Android phone running JBV1), JBV1 see the V1G2 BT and autostarts, and the only thing I have to do is plug in is my iPhone because unlike the other items, the iPhone goes with me when I leave the vehicle so all I do with it is plug the data cable/power cord into the iPhone and slap it onto the Scosche MagicMount and Apple CarPlay autostarts because the data cable is plugged into the back of my vehicle Head Unit with 7 inch display that I run VVaze on.

So you are correct, one does not have to run a smart phone (many don't as they just like having only an RD), BUT there are also those that don't have a Valentine One that are using an Android so they can run JBV1 in standalone mode so they have access to the additional Counter Measures!

I believe I would be making a safe bet that those that have a Valentine One and have tried JBV1, there are not very many that are not still using it with their V1! In fact, I know several people that prefer another brand RD, tried JBV1 in standalone with their current RD, and have now bought a V1G2 to run instead of their beloved other Detector. This is how strong JBV1 is.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eem29