InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Valentine Research released the much anticipated new version of the V1, the Valentine 1 Generation 2, on March 4th, 2020. This post is an attempt to compile what we know so far and answer some common questions.

1583544460445.png
1583544571681.png

Image credit: FCC and @LukeWes

All new radar and laser detector: Inside the all-new magnesium case is an all-new, and patented, radar-seeking engine, adapted from a concept used by military CHIRP radars to find fainter targets farther away with higher precision. New
sawd2l.png
technology ups the scan rate to hundreds of times per second.

Longer Range: Ka-band Range is impressively better in V1 Gen2. K-band range is also improved. Our new
sawd2l.png
and LNA technologies enable a substantial range increase over traditional V1.

Fewer Radar False Alarms: V1 Gen2 introduces K-Verifier technology to improve resistance to Blind Spot Detection systems in new cars. K-Verifier also extends to K-band a technique that we’ve proven over the years against X-band to reduce annoyance from automatic store door openers.

New Operating Controls: V1 Gen2 has a simplified control set consisting of top-mounted buttons for “Volume +” and “Volume -.” A front-mounted Control Button replaces the Control Knob of V1. These buttons are easier to use while wearing gloves and simplify programming procedures.

Improved Display Legibility: V1 Gen2 has our time-proven display with the Arrows and the Bogey Counter. To improve contrast and readability in bright sun conditions we’ve added a violet color filter. The back-lit band indicators now spell out the band(s) being detected.

Easier, Quicker Upgrade Procedure for V1 Gen2: When firmware upgrades are indicated at some point in the future, they will be downloadable to your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet, which connects wirelessly to V1 Gen2 through its built-in Bluetooth 5.0.

Wireless Connectivity: V1 Gen2 comes with built-in Bluetooth 5.0, enabling a wireless connection to your Apple or Android smartphones and tablets. Our free app—V1Connection, the app—can run on your device, giving you a revolutionary new way of analyzing the live stream of threat information flowing from V1 Gen2. You’ll also have access to future firmware upgrades and other third-party apps.

Stealth breakthrough: V1 Gen2 is much less detectable by Radar-Detector Detectors. New range-improving LNA technology also blocks internally generated signals from reaching significantly beyond your car.

Adapted for Engine Stop-Start Vehicles: V1 Gen2 includes our built-in BOB, the Brown-Out-Booster. This keeps V1 Gen2 operating smoothly during voltage dips caused by automatic engine restarts.

Earphone Connection: V1 Gen2 includes a built-in earphone socket for private sound awareness. Bring your own earphone with a 3.5mm jack. Nothing further required.

New Magnesium Case: V1 Gen2 has a new magnesium case with a thinner profile to lessen view blockage. The new case also has an acoustic grill to protect the sound transducer.

Complete with standard V1 accessories:

• Newly-designed windshield mount with new suction cups.
  • Newly-designed visor mount.
  • New Lighter Power Adapter.
  • New Direct-wire Power Adapter.
  • New coiled cord.
  • New straight cord.
  • New wire-harness connector.
  • New Quick Start Guide and downloadable Owner's Manual.
  • Spare fuse.
  • Spare suction cups.
  • Dual-Lock fastener.
One-year limited warranty, same as new units, starting at Upgrade date.

Q: What's different in the new version?
A: A lot!

• The RF board is completely redesigned, and should offer superior performance compared to Gen 1.
  • The knob is gone, and has been replaced by a power/mute button and volume buttons.
  • The display layout and case design have been revised.
  • The unit now includes built in Bluetooth connectivity and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
  • The mount has been slightly revised.
Q: How much does it cost and where can I get it?
A:
$499 + S&H. You can call Valentine Research to order (1-800-331-3030), or order online https://store.valentine1.com/Store/item.asp?i=20020

Q: Why add Bluetooth?
A:
Bluetooth connectivity allows you to pair a phone to your V1 to make it easy to program settings, get audio alerts over phone/car speakers, and use apps like JBV1 and V1Driver to add advanced functionality (eg automatic lockouts, speed based muting, alert logging, etc). It also allows for software updates to the detector using the V1Connection app.

Q: Is it compatible with existing V1 accessories?
A:
Yes, the V1 Gen2 is compatible with accessories like SAVVY, the Concealed Display, and the Remote Audio Adapter that have the ESP logo on them. It is not clear whether legacy devices are supported. A new version of the Concealed Display will be released later this year. Also, the new detector incorporates several accessories directly into the device, by adding a 3.5mm headphone jack, BT to use a phone for eSAVVY speed based muting and as a remote display, and an integrated Brown-out-Booster for compatibility with vehicles with auto start-stop technology.

Q: Does it have GPS?
A: No
, GPS is not built into the detector. For a discussion of why, see here:
GPS functionality can be added via one of the V1 apps described below.

Q: Does it have good BSM filtering?
A: Yes!
Initial reports are that it is has the best BSM filtering of any WS mount detector https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97542/post-1403735

Q: How is the detection range/performance?
A:
Many tests are planned for the near future, and you can read initial reports here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97248/

Q: Can it be detected by radar detector detectors (RDDs)?
A: No
, testing with the Spectre III shows it is functionally stealth: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97358/
Further testing with the Spectre Elite is planned as well.

Q: Is the case still made of magnesium?
The new V1 still has a magnesium case.

Q: Can it detect MRCD/MRCT?
A:
We don't know yet. Waiting on testing and more information from VR.

Q: What is under the hood?
A:
Check out the FCC filing with pictures of the internals here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97236/

Q: What about all of the recent VR patents?
A:
You can read up on the patents that have been implemented in the V1 Gen2 here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97212/

Q: What apps can be used with the V1 Gen2?
A:
The official V1Connection app from VR (Android, iOS), JBV1 (Android), and V1Driver (Android, iOS) are all being updated to work with the new V1. The V1Connection iOS app has been updated, the remaining apps should be updated soon.

Q: What's different about programming?
A:
The V1Gen2 now supports "custom frequencies" in both USA and Euro mode. The options to enable/disable Ka Guard and Ka Responsiveness have been removed, as well as some of the options related to K band muting logic.

Q: Is there a manual available?
A:
A quick reference guide is included with the detector and can be seen in the FCC filing linked above. A full manual is available on the Valentine website, and is attached below.

Q: Is there a trade-in program?
A: Yes
. Enter your serial number here for complete details: https://store.valentine1.com/Upgrades/default.asp

Q: Can the V1 Gen2 be updated by the user?
Software updates can now be done over Bluetooth using the V1Connection App.

Q: How do I program the V1 Gen2?
A:
See here: https://www.valentine1.com/the-v1-difference/v1-programming/

Q: What mode should I run my new V1 Gen2 in?
A: It depends
on what threats you face and how much information you want to receive. Most users will be happy running Logic Mode (little 'L'), where X and K band alerts deemed to be non-threatening will be reported at the muted volume level. If you rarely face K band, running in Advanced Logic Mode (big 'L') will provide an even quieter experience by not reporting weak X and K band alerts deemed non-threatening. Some users may prefer running in All Bogeys Mode (big 'A'), which presents all alerts to the user.

Please feel free to post any questions (and answers if you have them!) below and I will update the FAQ periodically.

Attachments

Last edited:

r3MI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

frank od5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I access the menu functions using the remote audio adapter? Or just through the V1 itself.On the fence about purchasing the audio adapter. Thanks

Runagun

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Anyone know what version bluetooth V1.2 has in it?

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

r3MI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How about FirmWare updates, Can we update from Home now or is this same old BS you have to send the uniit back to Mike ?

aocsgil

"Peace Through Superior Firepower"
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@InsipidMonkey ... Late model V1 Gen1 v3.894, 3.845, 3.895 cannot be traded in?.... When I called last week and asked about trading in my V1 nothing was said about only certain Gen1 detectors could be used for trade in and they had my information on the V1 that I had purchased... I guess I'll have to call in Monday and see if I can get a clarification on this... I have Gen 1 v3.894... I know I can sell it on the internet for more but I don't want to hassle with selling it ( just my choice)...

Appreciate the Information...

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@InsipidMonkey ... Late model V1 Gen1 v3.894, 3.845, 3.895 cannot be traded in?.... When I called last week and asked about trading in my V1 nothing was said about only certain Gen1 detectors could be used for trade in and they had my information on the V1 that I had purchased... I guess I'll have to call in Monday and see if I can get a clarification on this... I have Gen 1 v3.894... I know I can sell it on the internet for more but I don't want to hassle with selling it ( just my choice)...

I'm thinking that's not accurate info. I can't currently see why they wouldn't upgrade 3.894+ units to Gen2 4.1018. Hopefully we will get clarification soon. :)

I'm a little bit more convinced that this is accurate at the moment.

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

This was based on a few reports here. I'm sure once the detector is officially released (hopefully Monday) we'll have more information.

Regardless, if the trade-in value of a 3.894 or newer V1 is only $110, why wouldn't you sell it private party for triple the amount?

aocsgil

"Peace Through Superior Firepower"
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regardless, if the trade-in value of a 3.894 or newer V1 is only $110, why wouldn't you sell it private party for triple the amount?

As I said I don't want the hassle of selling it to someone else... I'd rather trade it in for credit and be done.... again just my choice...

Thanks for the reply...

Youthan

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I was told yes over the phone and that future updates will improve its function. My V1G2 is on its way and I will test as soon as it arrives.
So, it looks they live from upgrades 😁. Thanks ! Let me know here.

cihkal

Retired from the Forum, Adios! WWG1WGA
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Attachments

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I gave a bluetooth headset a try. Without an obvious way to put the V1 in pairing mode, I couldn't get anything to happen.
Perhaps one of those new settings in programming mode does this?
If not, I believe that an app has to be in the middle of the connection even if the screen is off, etc.

BTW, @InsipidMonkey, If this thread gets messy as you collect info and any of my posts make it worse, let me know and I'll correct / delete them!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I gave a bluetooth headset a try. Without an obvious way to put the V1 in pairing mode, I couldn't get anything to happen.
I don't think the V1 can connect to a BT headset directly. From the Quick Start Guide:
1583605430247.png

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's still good for bikers. A cheap phone sitting in a pocket and connected to the helmet, it couldn't be simpler.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Banned User
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This was based on a few reports here. I'm sure once the detector is officially released (hopefully Monday) we'll have more information.

When I was there Monday to bring something back and pick up official GEN2s, they would take only my non ESP model. My other V1 was the latest Gen1 firmware. “They” happened to be the seasoned strong personality lady some folks have heard on the phone. She was very clear about the trade plan. Maybe others at the office are handling it another way. I chose not to make hey about it. Figured would do what is suggested, sell the Gen1 on ebay. Or put it in my RD museum. :)

Last edited:

TTurboLife

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If not, I believe that an app has to be in the middle of the connection even if the screen is off, etc.

BTW, @InsipidMonkey, If this thread gets messy as you collect info and any of my posts make it worse, let me know and I'll correct / delete them!
I doubt it has the correct Bluetooth profile for that functionality

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choymw