Sincere question about V1 or V2

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
MV believes what MV believes. He's entitled to, he puts his money and reputation on the line.
No one has to agree with him.
I originally used YaV1 because I was curious, and it gave me a simple way to get B/T communication with my helmet headset.
I got hooked on the advantages, and when JBV1 came along and matured it quickly became indispensable. On the rare occasions I use the V1 without a phone, it's not like being blind, more like being very shortsighted and with tunnel vision.
I'm at the point that I will not use anything else unless the cops come up with something dangerous that V1/JBV1 cannot detect.
And, a cheap android phone to get these advantages will not break the bank.
Still, other opinions may vary.

PS. JB is just one guy, he puts a huge amount of time into his app because he has always said he made it for himself and his needs. But it's amazing how he responds to feature requests, I don't know how he could do the same on more brands, with many more demanding users.
Good answers. Thank you. Mike V. is certainly unique and I get it. It’s his baby and his only product. That’s a pretty interesting business model and leads to exerting total control.

Does the phone need data connection or is it just running the app? It’s not the cost of a cheap phone I care about. Is the 40+ a month for the data

AllenDoc

PSL+6
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Good answers. Thank you. Mike V. is certainly unique and I get it. It’s his baby and his only product. That’s a pretty interesting business model and leads to exerting total control.

Does the phone need data connection or is it just running the app? It’s not the cost of a cheap phone I care about. Is the 40+ a month for the data
@Bloovy One probably uses the most data that I know, so he can answer better... But I believe you can just hot spot off your iPhone.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't done this in quite a while so here's a screenshot of my data usage for JBV1 along with other stuff for comparison for February.

Without live maps a year ago I was seeing even less data than this being used. JBV1 used to be almost the same as Waze and Google Services Framework. Now I use live maps 100% of the time so it's about 35% more.

Attachments

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't done this in quite a while so here's a screenshot of my data usage for JBV1 along with other stuff for comparison for February.

Without live maps a year ago I was seeing even less data than this being used. JBV1 used to be almost the same as Waze and Google Services Framework. Now I use live maps 100% of the time so it's about 35% more.
Thanks, that isn't really too bad. I guess hotspotting to the iPhone wouldn't be that hard.

You guys have given me a lot to think about. I'm pretty curious to see what the next week shows us.
Post automatically merged:

<Begin Retired Aviation Navy soap box> I got to spend the last part of my career in a 737-700 cockpit (Navy calls C40A). The amount of information there, TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system), Weather Radar, the flight path, the HUD... I always just wanted that in my car, the situational awareness, I felt blind driving, especially living in FL and not having weather radar... But JBVI has that layer I can turn on, and then add in the VVAZE, add in Real Time Lockouts that can visibly see, know not possible for a LEO to enter that blind spot, Better BSM filtering than anything I can afford, and always updating. Sure 24.1 gets me. The Heat maps of places I have found Ka.... Oh, Range of a V1... 2 miles out you get a Ka, you forget about that IO by the time you roll up on it.... JBV1 keeps Ka greyed out if it was an IO just in case. And my last speeding ticket 10 years ago was from a plane, JBV1 has that covered also.... Sure, I have to use a phone, but I truly can't believe people that care about this hobby would go without all the Situational Awareness that is available...<End Retired Aviation Navy soap box>

And I am glad that Jon at Radenso has JB in mind, and I see that potentially as my next platform, if I can afford it... A cheap Android will turn into a TESLA style tablet... Hard to compare things if one never tries them.... I have tried everything out there currently, things I like, things I don't, but I just love my JBV1. BIG BIG BIG fan of @johnboy00

Thanks for having an open mind!
First of all, thank you for your service sir. I'm a Captain with the fire department and currently stationed at our airport station that has a contingent of KC135's. I keep hoping for a PR flight!!! Really enjoy working with those guys. Plus I'm a medic on the medical helo and almost all of our pilots are retired military...most ex army Warrants from Little Birds and a few Apache's. Plus Dad did 35+ in the National Guard. So mad respect for what you've done and what your family has sacrificed.

The list of stuff you just mentioned is mind boggling. I'm a tech geek too and that's really what got this thread started in my mind. I'm interested in the V1 for some nostalgic reasons, but really jealous of all of the things you guys are always talking about that I don't get to see and use. Gives me some feelings of tech "little man syndrome"!!!

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

We are lucky down here that my provider allows piggybacking other devices, up to 5, off my plan.
But hotspotting or vehicle wifi are answers too.
I run JBV1 in a fairly data intensive mode, and used 78mb between car and bike in Feb, with two trips over 5 hours. My vehicle usage is lower than most, I'm retired, but on day long trips it's still under 50-70 mb

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101