Highway Radar v2.2.1

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I’m releasing v2.2.1 to the beta channel. I’m planning to keep this update in beta mode for about a week while observing stability; later, I’ll make it public. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app’s page.

This release adds map circles for easier distance estimation and various aircraft detection improvements. Below is more detailed information about the new features.
  • Added map circles around the driver position for easier distance estimation
    You can configure to display up to four circles on the map. They can help with estimating the distance to various map objects and understanding the map scale. You can set this feature up in the “Display” settings.
  • Aircraft are displayed on the map with their short trails
    Seeing the path of the plane can help understanding how dangerous is the nearby police aircraft. Also, there is an option to zoom out the map when the aircraft alert is present.
  • Option to ignore unknown aircraft
    If the aircraft identification information isn’t available, it can be ignored now.
  • Option to ignore aircraft registered in other countries
    Allows ignoring aircraft registered, say, in Canada if it is flying in the US. Works with any country.
Besides this, there were a couple of improvements on the aircraft server side. These changes affect all versions of the application.
  • Added Canada aircraft database for better filtering
  • Improved aircraft matching between different sources

Please report any bugs you see in this version (you can opt-in into the easy reporting in the "General" settings page). And special thanks to those 65 people switched to the beta update channel!

Screenshot_1582875885.png
Screenshot_1582876078.png
Screenshot_1582876275.png

Last edited:

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it takes time to refresh in the Play Store. Just reporting that I checked now, and v2.2 is still listed as the latest...

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I know it takes time to refresh in the Play Store. Just reporting that I checked now, and v2.2 is still listed as the latest...
Roll-out can take up to 24 hours, so maybe you need to wai a bit.
Also, are you a beta tester?

Marty K

Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roll-out can take up to 24 hours, so maybe you need to wai a bit.
Also, are you a beta tester?
Yes, I am - ever since you first introduced the beta option here. No complaints, just the first time I noticed that delay, so far it's been couple of hours and I get it...

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Yes, I am - ever since you first introduced the beta option here. No complaints, just the first time I noticed that delay, so far it's been couple of hours and I get it...
I've double-checked, Google says it was published yesterday, so probably a delay from the Market side.

Last edited:

Marty K

Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Iva double checked, Google say it was published yesterday, so probably a delay from Market side.
Just checked again, update showed up and installed.
Thank you!

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Love the circle and by the way, the clutter is gone now that I emailed you about a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!

WJS

A low profile can be the best defense
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love it. Nice work!

200V

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Love the rings! expressly good for incoming calculation/crossing location.

Can the zoom stay out, beyond the alert distance? Going fast I want to see about 30 miles in front of me. but only alert at 10 miles. Otherwise i flip to Daze for the big picture.
Also, a hands free mode would be safer, so I don't need to hit the red X . Maybe after 5 sec it auto mutes the red X.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Love the rings! expressly good for incoming calculation/crossing location.

Can the zoom stay out, beyond the alert distance? Going fast I want to see about 30 miles in front of me. but only alert at 10 miles. Otherwise i flip to Daze for the big picture.
Also, a hands free mode would be safer, so I don't need to hit the red X . Maybe after 5 sec it auto mutes the red X.
Thanks for the feedback. Manual zoom is planned soon, for the second request try options from this picture (sound settings).
Screenshot_20200229-140605.jpg

200V

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thx. Yes that's how I have the quiet down set to zero. but, the threat order on the arrows display will show the last threat at the top until I hit the red x.
Old android 5.1, s4 galaxy.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thx. Yes that's how I have the quiet down set to zero. but, the threat order on the arrows display will show the last threat at the top until I hit the red x.
Old android 5.1, s4 galaxy.
Oh, for arrows that does make sense. I'll work on this in one of the future releases.

nano

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am using the app the last few weeks and I find it really helpful. Of course I am running the latest beta version. Unfortunately fixed speed cams are not yet supported here in Europe which are very common over here.

However I found just a little thing: when having the system set to metric, the risk score still shows miles instead of km.

And I was wondering if it is possible to hide the gray bar at the bottom. Since I am mostly using the app in portrait mode with split view and Waze, the gray bar takes away a lot of (unnecessary) space.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi @nano,

Unfortunately fixed speed cams are not yet supported here in Europe which are very common over here.
If you could suggest a good a public or reasonably priced database with good terms of usage allowing me to integrate, I'd be happy to support it as well.

However I found just a little thing: when having the system set to metric, the risk score still shows miles instead of km.
Yes, this is a known issue, however, the fix isn't much prioritized for now as there some technical difficulties there.

And I was wondering if it is possible to hide the gray bar at the bottom. Since I am mostly using the app in portrait mode with split view and Waze, the gray bar takes away a lot of (unnecessary) space.
Not sure what gray bar are you talking about. Could you make a screenshot and mark the gray bar on it?

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can Highway Radar be made to store the data of location and speed?

Bossdad71

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they even use aircraft in central kansas

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A couple of observations so far:
1. It seems to lock up when you leave it running but unattended for a while at home, irrespective of whether you've got the auto shutdown enabled or not
2. Helicopter alerts are potentially a little too sensitive. In LA if I don't take it down to Risky or Dangerous I always have helicopter alerts and most of them are >6 miles away
3. It would be nice to be able to name the A, B, and C profiles so you could have some text below the letter that describes what the profile is for.

Really liking it so far. Definitely something that's optimized for what a driver needs.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
@plm, Thanks for the detailed feedback.

1. It seems to lock up when you leave it running but unattended for a while at home, irrespective of whether you've got the auto shutdown enabled or not
Will try to reproduce this, thanks for the heads up. I assume, you're using the beta version, right?
Also can you explain how does the "lock up" look? Is the app completely irresponsive or just don't receive the data updates?

A couple of observations so far:
2. Helicopter alerts are potentially a little too sensitive. In LA if I don't take it down to Risky or Dangerous I always have helicopter alerts and most of them are >6 miles away
"Risky" and "Dangerous" are exactly for the areas like LA which is one of the most helicoptered area on the US. For normal sensivity if the app alerts on the aircraft, it means that it will be able to reach the distance from where it could measure your speed within less than couple minutes. If the app gives a maximum alert for the aircraft than it can measure your speed now. For very helicoptered areas like LA it definitely makes sense to tune down the sensitivity and reduce noise sacrificing advanced alerts.

3. It would be nice to be able to name the A, B, and C profiles so you could have some text below the letter that describes what the profile is for.
Totally agree here and already have this in my backlog :)

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Can Highway Radar be made to store the data of location and speed?
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean recording your track along with the issued alerts?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samkuzma