Western Australia [Edit : RD's now illegal from 12 Oct 2020] - Section 111 - Possible RD ban via overly broad stealth legislation

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Its a good thing that the opposition managed to get them to remove the overly broad initial act, and specifically address radar detectors so, at the moment, they can't ban Waze or GPS warning devices.

A nice example below from yesterday. I had 800m confirmed warning from JBV1/Waze and the first and 500m confirmed warning from JBV1/Waze on the second, plus two friendly headlight flashers on the first ;

TraffiStar S350 in back of white ute/pickup in the day on left verge capturing both directions, and poliscan on a tripod hidden behind the red mail box on the left verge at night capturing both directions.

No one on the night run coming the other way would have seen it to flash me, as the ute was parked off road behind trees, and the poliscan tripod was setup behind an AusPost mailbox ;

View attachment 160682

View attachment 160683
Ah... the friendly headlight flashers. Such a nice bit of street code been going on 20+ years strong.
When I was a teenage apprentice, my boss bought a new work bus. He'd driven it through the country, noticed a camera, and done the old light flash to oncoming cars. He didn't know there was another cop down the road who saw him flick the high beams. Cop pulls him over and asks if there's anything wrong with his headlights. He's not given a straight answer, and cops said he'd defect the vehicle for a problem with the lights. My boss smiles, points down at the odometer with less than 500km on the clock (brand new ute) and says sure mate, it's still under warranty, only bought a fortnight ago. Haha!
That would have sucked, but certain the dealership would have written a nice report if push come to shove. Cop let him off, but let him know at the same time.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, here they'll write you for improper use of high beams, such as they used to use obstructed view through windshield for someone who used an RD, and they couldn't do anything about.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, here they'll write you for improper use of high beams, such as they used to use obstructed view through windshield for someone who used an RD, and they couldn't do anything about.
Yeah, funny that. Yet if you choof an e cigg about 20 times in the span of a minute, with the windows rolled up, it's all good even though you wouldn't be able to see the steering wheel. No law against that haha!

Mayuri Krab

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Its a good thing that the opposition managed to get them to remove the overly broad initial act, and specifically address radar detectors so, at the moment, they can't ban Waze or GPS warning devices.

A nice example below from yesterday. I had 800m confirmed warning from JBV1/Waze and the first and 500m confirmed warning from JBV1/Waze on the second, plus two friendly headlight flashers on the first ;

TraffiStar S350 in back of white ute/pickup in the day on left verge capturing both directions, and poliscan on a tripod hidden behind the red mail box on the left verge at night capturing both directions.

No one on the night run coming the other way would have seen it to flash me, as the ute was parked off road behind trees, and the poliscan tripod was setup behind an AusPost mailbox ;

View attachment 160682

View attachment 160683

Ah the usual hidden placement strategy...

Also where did you get the Radenso from?

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Also where did you get the Radenso from?

Nice run out pricing on the One M ;

Post automatically merged:

You might want to check the price though ;

1601730573110.png

When you click on it, it comes up as $795.00

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Title of thread amended to reflect that from today (12 October 2020), it is now illegal in Western Australia to use a radar detector, or any device that can detect a speed measurement device within a vehicle, even if the device is switched off etc

Nice run out pricing on the One M ;
Looks like radarsdirect are out of the game - only dash cams and no RD's listed on their site

Mayuri Krab

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sad day.

I wonder how long other RD shops in WA are going to list them for sale.

Currently short on funds ($2k insurance excess, thanks Kangaroo for kamikazimg into my car) otherwise would have bought a one M before they delisted it.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder how long other RD shops in WA are going to list them for sale.

Perhaps they thought it was best to get out now.

It was publicly stated by the Govt minister that they were already lobbying to ban sales as well.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Perhaps they thought it was best to get out now.

It was publicly stated by the Govt minister that they were already lobbying to ban sales as well.
I wondered who was buying anymore. I even looked around to see if the prices dropped, on the off chance stores were dumping stock, but didn't see much action at all online.
Isn't illegal to sell though yet, so understandable stores could still hang out normally, based on what a device is worth.
How to now shift this stock will be interesting. Guess it could still be sold back overseas. New Zealand isn't that far away is it?

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wondered who was buying anymore. I even looked around to see if the prices dropped, on the off chance stores were dumping stock, but didn't see much action at all online

Lots of V1's on gumtree recently - does that just tell you that WA users have taken advice and are ditching the highly detectable V1G1 for a more stealthy model :)

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Lots of V1's on gumtree recently - does that just tell you that WA users have taken advice and are ditching the highly detectable V1G1 for a more stealthy model :)
I saw that coming, just not on gumtree though. Those that invested the extra into stealth, prior to the law change are reaping benefits now. Second hand stealth devices probably just gained a couple of bucks as well now that they're in demand.

Wonder how many people forgot today as the cops do the first day blitz? Profitable week for the plod this one. Standard pull over and a glimpse at the dash is a decent ticket for first thing Monday morning hey!?

Last edited:

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
Title of thread amended to reflect that from today (12 October 2020), it is now illegal in Western Australia to use a radar detector, or any device that can detect a speed measurement device within a vehicle, even if the device is switched off etc

Looks like radarsdirect are out of the game - only dash cams and no RD's listed on their site
Rooftop antenna mount gets around being mounted within a vehicle

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Rooftop antenna mount gets around being mounted within a vehicle
Yes, I'd considered that :)

They've chosen the following wording ;

1603082644305.png

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Maybe clutching a straws, but let's just say we're picking it apart for fun.

Definition of "On"

Preposition
1. physically in contact with and supported by (a surface). In this instance, a vehicle.
2. forming a distinctive or marked part of (the surface of something). In this instance a vehicle

Adverb
1. physically in contact with and supported by a surface. (A vehicle)

What about "Under"?

What about 2 magnets reversed, so they're repelling, and one's not in contact with anything? Ahh! Ha!

Last edited:

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
Small trailer with a pole for the antenna

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The only reason to ban CM is revenue, you have to realise that WA is vast and empty once you get out of town. There is NOTHING out there except, rocks, sand and wombats. You could drive at 200mph for hours on some roads until you just got bored with it and not see anything except more rocks and sand....

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How's the timing though? Pre Theia. Someone had to see it on the horizon and lock it down before it was too late. Almost as if Covid bought them time to run the law through before the announced release date. Looks very coincidental.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy