Many KA alerts with new CR95

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have also noticed that I have been getting 33.4 ka band false on Honda CRV BSM when I run my old M4 platform Beltronics Vector 995 and Bel Pro 300, both with TSR on in Autoscan mode. My Whistler CR97 and and CR93 both report this as 33.8 Ka band or generic KA band. I think there is something about Honda BSMs that confuse
Radar detectors, even the non Whistler ones.

Deadhead1971

throw a cat in the air it always lands on its feet
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ka is getting more polluted with falses it seems- even more necessary to run segs (Uniden) or custom frequencies (V1) to screen these out. I assume the whistler does not have segging options. Ka falses around 34.498- 34.5 have been an annoyance for me. I am able to screen those out now. For me, I would not get any detector without some type of segging options

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ka is getting more polluted with falses it seems- even more necessary to run segs (Uniden) or custom frequencies (V1) to screen these out. I assume the whistler does not have segging options. Ka falses around 34.498- 34.5 have been an annoyance for me. I am able to screen those out now. For me, I would not get any detector without some type of segging options
If only the CR95 and 97 could be segged! @Deadhead1971 , you would be surprised how damn crazy sensitive these things are on straight up radar! They suck at off axis however. They are as fast on Q/T shots and laser as anything I've ever seen! The Ka/K band mixup is the dealbreaker.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I decided to slap up the 97 again on the windshield. I'll report back my thoughts after using my Ex for awhile.
It has been a while since I have used my CR97. I think I am going to sell my CR97 as I just don’t use it that much any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I have used my CR97. I think I am going to sell my CR97 as I just don’t use it that much any more.

It totally blows Electronic boards and dust that Whistler has not done anything since the release on that CR95/97 age of what it could due... be it Firmware or whatever to make that leap it needs to join the uppers.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It totally blows Electronic boards and dust that Whistler has not done anything since the release on that CR95/97 age of what it could due... be it Firmware or whatever to make that leap it needs to join the uppers.
I agree. It has been “crickets” over at Whistler. I am not sure what (if anything) they have coming down the RD pipeline. It has been about two years since the CR95 was available for sale and about 19 months since the CR97 was available for purchase.

It is sad, because back in the day (late 70’s and 1980’s), Whistler was known for making quality and excellent performing radar detectors. They used to make their detectors in the USA, but as many other companies have done, moved production over seas and targeted the the “value” and lower end market vs the enthusiast market.

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I reloaded the firmware for the heck of it and also the latest June red light db. I did a reset. I set the filters at 2, GPS on, FDSR in silent mode and the 2 beep city mode. Everything else off. It wasn't bad. I drove in somewhat normal conditions today. I did notice a Honda zip by and it set off a Ka and about 1 or 2 seconds later the #### came on. If you can use it in city mode it really wasn't bad. I just keep off the gas if it gives me the #### because from all our playing around it may be not able to pick up legit radar. I felt ok running 10 to 15 over psl with it.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I reloaded the firmware for the heck of it and also the latest June red light db. I did a reset. I set the filters at 2, GPS on, FDSR in silent mode and the 2 beep city mode. Everything else off. It wasn't bad. I drove in somewhat normal conditions today. I did notice a Honda zip by and it set off a Ka and about 1 or 2 seconds later the #### came on. If you can use it in city mode it really wasn't bad. I just keep off the gas if it gives me the #### because from all our playing around it may be not able to pick up legit radar. I felt ok running 10 to 15 over psl with it.
I haven’t done a red light database update on mine in a long time. I think I will do that tomorrow. After thinking about it, I am going to hang on to my CR97 for a bit longer and keep it as a back up detector. I will use it occasionally.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I still have my 95 and 97 and have no plans to sell either of them, but then again I have a problem as you all know! I'll run them from time to time trying to find the "magic"settings that will solve all of their problems for a couple of days and then get frustrated and put them back in the closet for a month or so and try it again! Since I got my V1G2 in March, that has taken all of my time getting used to JBV1 and all. Now that my V1G2 just blew up last week, It's back to one of my trusty ole' R1/Redline-O ghetto arrow setups and I already have two killer off axis I/O saves with them since Friday!

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I still have my 95 and 97 and have no plans to sell either of them, but then again I have a problem as you all know! I'll run them from time to time trying to find the "magic"settings that will solve all of their problems for a couple of days and then get frustrated and put them back in the closet for a month or so and try it again!
I have actually been running my CR97 some lately. I am still trying to find the “magic” settings too. I had a really good 34.7 detection in the neighboring town with TFSR off, FDSr off, XK and Ka filters both at 2. With rolling terrain and a slight curve, I got a 1.1 mile warning with the officer being visible at .3 of a mile. I thought it was a very good warning. I am going to hang on to my CR97 and try to use it occasionally as well.

I have been running my V1G2 and my Max360c the most here lately. I really need to use my R3 more. My wife has been using the R3 more than me lately. I just haven’t been doing a lot of driving with the COVID-19 situation.

Last edited:

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You guys all inspired me to dust off my cr 97 and my cr 93. I emailed Whistler about any future firmware updates and about the K Ka band mix up and their response basically said they are working on a few "tweaks" and gave me setting suggestions for BSMs which still does not fix the k/ka band confusion.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys all inspired me to dust off my cr 97 and my cr 93. I emailed Whistler about any future firmware updates and about the K Ka band mix up and their response basically said they are working on a few "tweaks" and gave me setting suggestions for BSMs which still does not fix the k/ka band confusion.
I don’t think Whistler has done a firmware update on the CR95/CR97 in a very long time. I think they have maybe done one firmware update? Maybe none? I updated my red light camera database this past weekend, and the latest firmware version is the same as it was a long time ago.

I don’t think Whistler is going to or is able to fix the K/Ka mix up on the CR95/CR97.

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
After using the 95 & 97 for awhile to alleviate lockdown boredom, I have noticed differences. The FDSR in the 97 is really different than the 95. No #### in the 95 and it seems less 'jumpy' for the 95 as it will display FDSR and a signal strength number that varies. Also there are 4 filters in the 95 (0 to 3) and 6 on the 97 (0 to 5) per band. This makes me think the delays in the 95 are more than the 97 for the same filter number. Also my 95 when in FDSR with k at 0 and ka at 1 seems to not mix up k/ka. I like the 95 better. Its the same story....if its displaying FDSR I don't speed. I just don't think it would release the bsm to display a ka. I find myself running the 95 more than the 97. I think the 97 is a mess but the 95 seems much better.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
After using the 95 & 97 for awhile to alleviate lockdown boredom, I have noticed differences. The FDSR in the 97 is really different than the 95. No #### in the 95 and it seems less 'jumpy' for the 95 as it will display FDSR and a signal strength number that varies. Also there are 4 filters in the 95 (0 to 3) and 6 on the 97 (0 to 5) per band. This makes me think the delays in the 95 are more than the 97 for the same filter number. Also my 95 when in FDSR with k at 0 and ka at 1 seems to not mix up k/ka. I like the 95 better. Its the same story....if its displaying FDSR I don't speed. I just don't think it would release the bsm to display a ka. I find myself running the 95 more than the 97. I think the 97 is a mess but the 95 seems much better.
I only have the CR97, so I cannot compare it to the CR95. It has been a long time since I have run my CR97 with FDSR/r on, but I found my CR97 unusable with FDSR/r on. FDSR/r on turned my CR97 into a false alarm machine which caused me to ignore real police radar threats because my CR97 was going off non stop.

I think the purpose of the FDSR/r on is to let the user know the detector is being “interfered” with from outside sources such as BSM and CAS systems with a brief alert, but it caused my CR97 to false non stop...to the point that it would give me a headache and ignore potential real police radar threats.

FDSR/r is not a feature that provides value for me, so I keep it off. If you find value in FDSR/r, by all means leave it on. I have said this many times before, I thought I would utilize the FDSR/r feature when I bought the CR97, but I don’t based on my personal experience.

Since the CR97/CR95 doesn’t have a specific frequency display, I run my CR97 with RSID on to at least give me a generic 33.8, 34.7, 35.5 indicator for Ka signals, but for K-band it just states K-band. I use the K/Ka mix up to my advantage as there is no 33.8 used in my immediate area. When I get a generic Ka or a 33.8 alert, I start looking for a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Honda/Acura BSM equipped vehicle as there is normally one near by.

I will not buy another radar detector without a accurate and specific frequency display due to all of the BSM/CAS systems out there. K-band is used in my city, and an accurate and specific frequency display helps me identify if the signal is a K-band door opener or most likely a LEO.

I have been using my CR97 some lately, and it is doing fine. Mostly in my wife’s Jeep. I bought a rubber dash mount at AutoZone that makes it easy to take my CR97 up and down, and the front of the detector has a clear view of the road. I have had a few good detections especially on Ka 34.7. My CR97 doesn’t perform as well against K-band especially if the X/K filter is at a higher setting. I am constantly changing the settings on the X/K and Ka filters and TFSR on vs off here lately (sometimes several times while driving a short distance running errands) for my mostly primarily city driving due to COVID-19. It dives my wife crazy...lol.

I know I pretty much say the same thing about my CR97 time after time. I know I sound like a broken record. Unfortunately, there really isn’t much new news regarding radar detectors going on at Whistler these days.
Adjustments.jpg

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You are 100% correct on these points. I agree that FDSR has something wrong with it on the 97. It falses nonstop. I wonder if the VG inspired changes is a factor. I think that the 95 is more usable. The frequency display is huge now on k band. On other rd's if I see 24.190 or 24.200 I almost know that its a bsm. The lack of a display frequency is a pain. On the Whistlers if you see FDSR or #### you can only think its a false. The sensitivity improvement is good to see. Its just that it is more usable in the 95. I usually run my R3 or my R7 (monsters!!!) or my EX (ok, nothing great), but for some reason I still like the 95 with its warts for 10 over psl for occasional in the clear rabbit protected runs.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You are 100% correct on these points. I agree that FDSR has something wrong with it on the 97. It falses nonstop. I wonder if the VG inspired changes is a factor. I think that the 95 is more usable. The frequency display is huge now on k band. On other rd's if I see 24.190 or 24.200 I almost know that its a bsm. The lack of a display frequency is a pain. On the Whistlers if you see FDSR or #### you can only think its a false. The sensitivity improvement is good to see. Its just that it is more usable in the 95. I usually run my R3 or my R7 (monsters!!!) or my EX (ok, nothing great), but for some reason I still like the 95 with its warts for 10 over psl for occasional in the clear rabbit protected runs.
That is so interesting in the difference with FDSR/r on the CR95 vs CR97. As I said, my only experience is with the CR97.

I still am hanging onto my CR97 for occasional use even though it has its quirks and doesn’t have a specific frequency display on K or Ka. I still enjoy running it from time to time as I have already invested the $$ in it, and I want to feel like I am getting my $$ worth. It does have a lot of different filtering settings and options to allow the end user to customize it to their preferences.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Although my 95 and 97 are both pains in the @ss, I have more than enough real saves from each of them to more than pay them both! They are both as good as any detector I've ever seen on I/O Q/T shots, as long as they are on axis and only the V1's can touch them on laser. Their biggest downfall other than the Ka/K band mixup is on off axis.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitemare50