Just got poached, here for help!

Starbuck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Greetings from Oregon, been running a Uniden R3 for a coupe of years, has been fabulous against all radar in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. Well, until last week I got hit in Salem by laser, the R3 did alert me and my blackvue cam captured the speed (it was accurate). Anyway, looking for some help on an ALP system!

Thanks!

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Greetings from Oregon, been running a Uniden R3 for a coupe of years, has been fabulous against all radar in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. Well, until last week I got hit in Salem by laser, the R3 did alert me and my blackvue cam captured the speed (it was accurate). Anyway, looking for some help on an ALP system!

Thanks!
Welcome. Plenty of people here to help you out with that. Be prepared to shell out a little more $$ than your R3 :)

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome! If you have any sort of technical background you can probably install ALP yourself. You don't have dragoneye in your area so you don't necessarily need a Tx head. Check out Vortex Radar on YouTube.

mattguy10

Keep it under a hundred
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to RDF! The R3 & a set of ALPs should be a great setup for your RS3. You should get all the help you need here. Great forum to be a part of

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome. Let’s take a peek at that video if you have it uploaded somewhere.

that rs3 is going to get you in trouble lol (I’ve had/have my own share of RS/S Audi)

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome Starbuck too bad you got cooked. I’m looking to get an ALP system myself.

Starbuck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed by the responsiveness of this forum so far. Posted a question on an Rs3 install thread and got a full set of photos and walkthrough on the install from @edconline, guy is amazing. Great community! Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to contribute as well where I can.
Post automatically merged:

Welcome! If you have any sort of technical background you can probably install ALP yourself. You don't have dragoneye in your area so you don't necessarily need a Tx head. Check out Vortex Radar on YouTube.
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 3 head front system with the Tx before I read this. Is there any disadvantage, other than cost, to have the 2 regular and 1tx in the front of the car? I'm fine with paying bit more if I can have additional protection, as long as it isn't inferior protection. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed by the responsiveness of this forum so far. Posted a question on an Rs3 install thread and got a full set of photos and walkthrough on the install from @edconline, guy is amazing. Great community! Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to contribute as well where I can.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the 3 head front system with the Tx before I read this. Is there any disadvantage, other than cost, to have the 2 regular and 1tx in the front of the car? I'm fine with paying bit more if I can have additional protection, as long as it isn't inferior protection. Thanks for the advice.
Nope. Only positives.
Congrats!

Make sure to document your install and post it, We are happy to offer suggestions and modifications.

There is also a large network of people on here who own Lidar guns for testing. There is a registry on the forum that shows nearby testers. Where are you located?

Starbuck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok, how about another stupid newb question: So what prevents a cop from just making up a speed to cite you if the get mad that they can't because of the jammer? The citation I received had 5 readings on it, are those somehow automatically transferred from the gun to the citation for evidence, or do they input the speed so there is no verification? I know the speeds on the ticket were legit based on my blackvue and the alarm I received from the Uniden R3, they were actually VERY accurate!

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok, how about another stupid newb question: So what prevents a cop from just making up a speed to cite you if the get mad that they can't because of the jammer? The citation I received had 5 readings on it, are those somehow automatically transferred from the gun to the citation for evidence, or do they input the speed so there is no verification? I know the speeds on the ticket were legit based on my blackvue and the alarm I received from the Uniden R3, they were actually VERY accurate!
We've all asked these questions. The answer to this is JTK. [Jam-to-Kill]

Jammers are, in practice, only to be used for a few seconds. Brake to the speed limit, shut them off. For a majority of cars (yours especially), this can be done efficiently and cops are 99% of the time none the wiser.

Local laws will affect how your tickets are given. Whether visual estimation can be used solely, or must be backed up with either radar or lidar. Ive personally never seen multiple speeds on a ticket.

Last edited:

Got Jeep

Strange days have found us
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome!
Sorry to hear about the ticket.
Any dashcam footage that you care to post ?

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing to know with the TX head is that it needs to be at least 20 inches off the ground we have also found a 1-2 degree upward tilt on the tx head is also helpful if you are facing dragoneye, which you shouldn't. If you want placement help create a thread in the install section and we can provide suggestions. Definitely make sure you JTK, slow down quick and shut down the jammers quickly after getting hit, if you get them shut off in less than 4 seconds (aim for 2) then you should roll right on by.

It's another layer of protection to help keep you ticket free, just don't use it as a excuse to drive excessively fast or dangerously :)

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome and buckle up!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome from Eugene. An R3 and jammers are a good set up for this area. Using VVaze can be helpful too. If you travel to WA make sure to use Highway Radar or JBV1 for aircraft alerts if you have an Android device.

Welcome from Eugene. An R3 and jammers are a good set up for this area. Using VVaze can be helpful too. If you travel to WA make sure to use Highway Radar or JBV1 for aircraft alerts if you have an Android device.
Did you get hit by Salem PD or OSP and what kind of gun did they write on the ticket?

Last edited:

Starbuck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Did you get hit by Salem PD or OSP and what kind of gun did they write on the ticket?
IT was a computer printed ticket and just had a box checked that said "laser" next to that it had the following:
77 77 76 61 61 -990.4
I assume the set of 5 numbers were my speed readings, what does the 990.4 mean?

Thanks.

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
IT was a computer printed ticket and just had a box checked that said "laser" next to that it had the following:
77 77 76 61 61 -990.4
I assume the set of 5 numbers were my speed readings, what does the 990.4 mean?

Thanks.
Distance is my guess. Less than 1000 is usually good enough to hold up in court.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Distance is my guess. Less than 1000 is usually good enough to hold up in court.
Distance sounds about right. Often, the make/model of the speed measuring device is listed. FWIW, you may not need a TX head around here. An ALP dual on the front is super solid.

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
welcome to the forum

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesus359