R7 settings Northeast US

R7TheNewLava

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great stuff. :)

Has anyone seen X band in NY? Most of the time X band reports are misidentified falses, but you never know. I got this comment on YT recently and told them to come here to report it and discuss as usual, but since we're on the topic...

View attachment 140170
negative..X band is non-existent at least where i live, could be in some really small towns up-upstate...same with K, actually debating turning K ban d off completely

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
NYC Ka
Rest of NY K/Ka
NJ turnpike/GSP/78/80 X/Ka
Rest of NJ K/Ka
CT K/Ka
MA K/Ka

Watch out for out of tune 34.7 units. Seen them as low as 34.42X in NJ

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
For NYC you will want to run Ka on, X and K off. You will want MRCD on for the speed cameras and you will also want to run Waze. If you do segment it make sure segments 4 and 6 are enabled to catch out-of-tune Stalker guns which are common in NYS. Think about laser protection as PL3/PL4/TSS/Stalker are heavily used on NYC highways and local enforcement is almost entirely done with PL4s.
As a long time resident of Staten Island who has moved to the Jersey shore this is what I find. I had to lower the R7 to 30% on X and 40% on K. as I go back to Staten Island to see my daughter and grand sons. New Jersey still uses X and K radar so you can't shut them off x is used in the more southern parts of the state K is still used very often. I also own an R3 that I run the same way. I also own a V1 updated to the new version that I use with the app V1 Driver. This gives me auto lock outs of false signals and low speed muting but no red light or speed cam info. I WILL NOT USE THE V1 IN NEW YORK.
My other detector is a Max 360c that I use in my 2017 Impala that has WiFi it can detect MRCD but it's not that good so I shut that off. All the speed and red light cams are stationary so they are in the data base, you get a warning in plenty of time for them. I find that R7 & R3 are so good at picking up radar that I have to mute them at times. Do you need a warning 1 to 1 1/2 miles away? I don't but you can lower them if you need to. I keep the Ka at 100% as that's the one you need to detect all the time.

R7TheNewLava

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Don't. Sooner or later you'll regret it
I don’t see any LEOS using it in my area, I was waiting to see what the ParkPol uses on that small patch of the taconic but for now I lowered the sensitivity and it seems to be doing the job. Thanks for looking out!
Post automatically merged:

As a long time resident of Staten Island who has moved to the Jersey shore this is what I find. I had to lower the R7 to 30% on X and 40% on K. as I go back to Staten Island to see my daughter and grand sons. New Jersey still uses X and K radar so you can't shut them off x is used in the more southern parts of the state K is still used very often. I also own an R3 that I run the same way. I also own a V1 updated to the new version that I use with the app V1 Driver. This gives me auto lock outs of false signals and low speed muting but no red light or speed cam info. I WILL NOT USE THE V1 IN NEW YORK.
My other detector is a Max 360c that I use in my 2017 Impala that has WiFi it can detect MRCD but it's not that good so I shut that off. All the speed and red light cams are stationary so they are in the data base, you get a warning in plenty of time for them. I find that R7 & R3 are so good at picking up radar that I have to mute them at times. Do you need a warning 1 to 1 1/2 miles away? I don't but you can lower them if you need to. I keep the Ka at 100% as that's the one you need to detect all the time.
Great Info! Thanks!

Last edited:

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have seen no X-band traffic enforcement in NY State. However, the State and local municipalities actually use A LOT of X-band vehicle sensors instead of in-the-pavement loops. Intersections, toll booths, bridge traffic counters, etc. The amount of X-band signals will drive you nuts, especially waiting at intersections.

DOCEX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
On Long Island, Nassau, Suffolk County and New York State Police are using KA, but out in the Hamptons I would have K on because some of the locals are using handheld radar.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Holy crap... Y'all know state, county and city along with what type and number of speed detection is present. Amazing.
Post automatically merged:

There are absolutely red light cameras, but those are usually down in the boroughs, the only speed cams I know of are for traffic monitoring and not enforcement. If anyone knows different feel free to chime in.
Yup We do !!

This is our "HOBBY" our "SPORT" our fun so to speak ... and we're [email protected] Good at it !! 👍👍

:slick:

Benzr

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Village of Catskill, which has been 35.5 & 34.7 for years. Just passed one yesterday running 24.155 K band bottom of hill on 9W in 30 mph zone.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have thought about the segmentation off and on with the R7. The performance difference is small and I dont know that I see many/any falses in the Ka range. Segmenting could leave you in a position where you remove a signal you should have received. Again, I dont think I have experienced this myself I use 2,4,5,6,8. Do I need to segment, how much noise is in 1,3,7, and 9? I’ve tried Ka Wide several times and didn’t notice much difference either way. Still, I run segmented. Otherwise, I have been going with with K at 70% and rear balance at 60%.

ViewlessSquid

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I live in Middletown and Middletown City cops use K band, Wallkill uses KA, and the OC sheriffs use KA, and state boys use KA as well. I believe and I can't really remember that well, but I was in narrowsburg two years ago, which is near Port Jervis and Monticello depending on which way you go, but I believe their local cop used X band, I was taken back and luckily had my x band on at the time. I had my DFR7 at the time, but now have a R7. So I do believe even though scarce, X band is still used in back woods towns in NY.

I'll try and update as I remember to log it.

Town of Crawford Police - KA 35.5
NYS Troopers - KA 34.7
City of Middletown Police - K 24.0

Last edited:

neomatic

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Have seen K band 24.109 at 169 mile mark GSP SB, disco lights was serving the customer on this Sunday evening.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I believe and I can't really remember that well, but I was in narrowsburg two years ago, which is near Port Jervis and Monticello depending on which way you go, but I believe their local cop used X band, I was taken back and luckily had my x band on at the time. I had my DFR7 at the time, but now have a R7. So I do believe even though scarce, X band is still used in back woods towns in NY.

I'll try and update as I remember to log it.

Town of Crawford Police - KA 35.5
NYS Troopers - KA 34.7
City of Middletown Police - K 24.0
Wow, X-band in NY? Down by the NY/PA border is too close for comfort. Just about every other traffic light by me, near Albany, has X-band sensors instead of the loops in the road (especially left turn lanes) - How do you stand all of the falses?

And Middletown with a K-band at 24.0 (was this radar or a traffic sign)? That is very out-of-tune frequency, should be 24.100-24.250 for police radar. I don't even know if my DFR7 would pick it up - right at the edge.

ViewlessSquid

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow, X-band in NY? Down by the NY/PA border is too close for comfort. Just about every other traffic light by me, near Albany, has X-band sensors instead of the loops in the road (especially left turn lanes) - How do you stand all of the falses?

And Middletown with a K-band at 24.0 (was this radar or a traffic sign)? That is very out-of-tune frequency, should be 24.100-24.250 for police radar. I don't even know if my DFR7 would pick it up - right at the edge.
Yeah, just like two years ago I was in narrowsburg and my x band went off and I saw a narrowsburg cop sitting off the road in a deli. I was shocked. I normally keep x band off, but that one instance, I had it on and will turn it on when I’m in that area again.

And I didn’t personally record the freq of the city of Middletown cops, I just know they use K band radars. I’ll try to get a couple of frequency numbers next time. When I drove past them and they had their guns on, I always picked them up with my DFR7.

I know town of wallkill uses ka 34.7 freq also, I’ll try and get a few numbers from them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumanator

rawr
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why would you segment an R series digital detector? Unless I'm out of the loop, the performance enhancement is minuscule. I would rather have protection and lose 0.3 seconds warning (I don't know what the actual difference is -- please share if I am completely wrong).

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshi15