Highway Radar v2.2

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Update: released to the public channel, the new version should be available to everyone now
Today I’m releasing v2.2 to the beta channel. I’m planning to keep this update in beta mode for about a week while observing stability; later, I’ll make it public. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app’s page.

This release adds the same street alerts, UI update, better weather maps, easy bug reporting, and many small improvements and optimizations. Below is more detailed information about the new features.
  • Option to alert on police/hazards/cameras on the same street only
    v2.1 added road graph support for obtaining PSL and smart muting. This version adds the ability to detect if a given report is on the same street you’re driving and use this information to decide whether to alert. The new version correctly recognizes street name change ahead, considers ¼ miles of incoming and outgoing link roads as the same street, recognizes turning to another street instantly, and doesn’t require additional data.
    Police reports can also work in a combined mode where the app can scan the same street for miles ahead combined with the old method of detection using a small radius.
  • An update for user interface
    The map now takes full screen; the control panel became slightly transparent; aircraft alerts moved to the top in the map mode; changed app background to black.
  • Added National Weather Service source for weather radar
    National Weather Service provides a much more detailed weather map compared to Open Weather Maps, which was the only option in the previous version. The main flaw of NWS maps is that they are available in the US only. Now you can choose which weather provider you would prefer to use.
    • Thanks to @johnboy00 for sharing the information on how to pull NWS data into the application
  • Added an easy bug report form
    Now you can report bugs or share suggestions without distracting from the driving. Quickly tap 3 times on the speed indicator and record a voice message that will be delivered directly to me as is (no need to worry about voice recognition, I’ll receive the raw recording). Along with the voice message, I’ll also receive your current preferences, device info (model, OS version, etc.) and the entire application state, which includes location history for up to 1 minute.
    Note that you need to enable this feature needs to in the settings first. Please consider using either English or Russian languages in your messages; these are the only ones I know :)
  • Performance optimization
    Highway Radar is still a heavy battery eater; however, it should be much more stable on low-end devices now. Older versions crash if the device is unable to handle the load of processing all incoming data. The issue became an even more severe problem after I started adding road graph features, which are quite CPU-intensive. The new version reduces refresh rate on slower devices and should never crash under any load.
  • Adjusted minimum speed for TTS activation
    Older versions had different minimum TTS activation speeds for every type of alert. Starting from v2.2, the TTS activation speed is 5 m/s (~11 mph) for any alert.
  • Picture-in-picture isn’t activated when clicking “Launch Waze” button
    This was an annoying behavior since PIP mode covered the “report” button in Waze application, so you had to move of close the PIP window first. Starting from v2.2, PIP is disabled for opening the Waze.
  • Added “police” icon on police reports map markers
    That was quite confusing for the new users, and I was asked numerous times what do these “teardrops” mean.
  • Improved automatic zoom
    Now automated zoom is speed-dependent, and its value should never go above 15.
  • Fixed beeper sometimes auto-muted from the very beginning
  • Improved stability of aircraft muting
    The frequency of suddenly unmuted aircraft alerts should go down, starting from this version.
  • Now displaying current app version on the start screen
  • Reduced display radius for cameras
    All cameras behind the 5 miles radius are hidden from the map now
  • Safe aircraft are now displayed in the map mode if the corresponding preference is set

Screenshot_1582273447.png
Screenshot_1582274001.png
Screenshot_1582274425.png

Last edited:

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I sent you an email about when in dual screen my icons are bunched up/clustered in layers by the speed area. Did you get my email?

I also update my app on Beta.

Thanks!

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I sent you an email about when in dual screen my icons are bunched up/clustered in layers by the speed area. Did you get my email?

I also update my app on Beta.

Thanks!
Hi, I also fixed this in V2.2. If it still looks bad for you could you send me a screenshot?

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi, I also fixed this in V2.2. If it still looks bad for you could you send me a screenshot?
Ok Thank You.
If it looks cluttered I'll send you a picture again.
Keep up the awesome work!

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For showing heat map do i need google map installed?

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ll load it now and start testing on my commute tomorrow.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
For showing heat map do i need google map installed?
Yes, GApps are required for heat map now. However, I have plans to enable heat map in arrows mode as well

Reactions: gra

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm actually contemplating getting an Android phone purely for this app. And I can't stand Android!
That’s what I did. I got a trackphone (locked) on Amazon for $25. I. Never hooked up the service. It runs off of my iPhone hotspot on Bluetooth. Works great.

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, GApps are required for heat map now. However, I have plans to enable heat map in arrows mode as well
But i still need gapps, right?

bhrodeoaz

Lifted and tuned Ram...
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used this app in conjunction with waze and my R3 on a recent road trip for a weeks long vacay. 3500 miles round trip. I ran the beta version and definitly like the radius circles around the icon.
58847.jpeg

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
But i still need gapps, right?
Sorry, I got you question a bit wrong. When I add the heat map for arrows, it can be used without gapps.

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
i cannot see any kind of maps on rooted device...(google maps)

infiniti

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You've created one of the most valuable countermeasure apps of all time...and you're a beginner level? Can someone help this guy move ahead in the access levels?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You've created one of the most valuable countermeasure apps of all time...and you're a beginner level? Can someone help this guy move ahead in the access levels?
Unfortunately, due to Forum Security Department Coronavirus, that will not be possible at this time.

;)

That being said, I can't imagine he's too far off from receiving a questionnaire

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM