TMG CPU frozen

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Kind of getting tired of this. Now my second CPU is bricked or frozen in my car that isn’t driven much. I started the car this morning and it started up saying system on, then a minute later I heard it say system off. It’s tucked away and I never push any buttons, nor does anything bump it. I pushed the power button and it powered back up saying system on, the blue light is on and so is the red light, the buttons no longer function. When I kill power it turns off, when I power it again the lights turn on but no announcement, and the buttons still don’t function. My other car had a head and CPU failure too last year. @Jag42

Attachments

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
what vehicle?
Did you connect it via fusebox or directly to battery?

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Kind of getting tired of this. Now my second CPU is bricked or frozen in my car that isn’t driven much. I started the car this morning and it started up saying system on, then a minute later I heard it say system off. It’s tucked away and I never push any buttons, nor does anything bump it. I pushed the power button and it powered back up saying system on, the blue light is on and so is the red light, the buttons no longer function. When I kill power it turns off, when I power it again the lights turn on but no announcement, and the buttons still don’t function. My other car had a head and CPU failure too last year. @Jag42
That sounds very similar as to what happened to my CPU recently (non-VPR). I am in a process of running my new one with one "thing" attached to it at a time, just to make sure if it goes bad again, at least I will have a reference point of which component may be at fault.
For couple of days I ran it with no transponder cables attached, only power, and connected via BT to JBV1. Now I am planning on connecting the transponder cable (splitter) with one head connected only, and run for another couple of days. If all good, I will connect the other head later on...
Not an expert, but for what I know a bad transponder will only lock up the CPU when connected. However, there is a forum member here that has mentioned that a bad transponder ended up toasting 2 CPUs...

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That sounds very similar as to what happened to my CPU recently (non-VPR). I am in a process of running my new one with one "thing" attached to it at a time, just to make sure if it goes bad again, at least I will have a reference point of which component may be at fault.
For couple of days I ran it with no transponder cables attached, only power, and connected via BT to JBV1. Now I am planning on connecting the transponder cable (splitter) with one head connected only, and run for another couple of days. If all good, I will connect the other head later on...
Not an expert, but for what I know a bad transponder will only lock up the CPU when connected. However, there is a forum member here that has mentioned that a bad transponder ended up toasting 2 CPUs...
Vehicle is a 2019 WRX. It’s wired to the fuse box with an add a fuse tap. I tried reset, the lights go off briefly then come back on, no sound. I disconnected the heads, same thing, nothing.....

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've experienced that one day on my CPU. Never came back after rechecking power connections on the Add a Fuse line.
Have you thought on running the CPU off the 12v accessory line for testing?

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Vehicle is a 2019 WRX. It’s wired to the fuse box with an add a fuse tap. I tried reset, the lights go off briefly then come back on, no sound. I disconnected the heads, same thing, nothing.....
Mine was connected to power via the DC adapter. Sounds like it is shot already. Disconnecting the heads at this point wouldn't make a difference. That was my case anyway. Sorry to hear about your trouble, not a pleasant times.

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
To add data, I have over 70,000 trouble-free miles on my TMG system (original no-serial-number CPU and 4 heads.) Car is parked outside 24/7.

Last edited:

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Try a control update. I can reboot most of the cpu's that are coming back
How do I do a control update? The CPU doesn’t respond to any of the buttons, not even the power button.

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
How do I do a control update? The CPU doesn’t respond to any of the buttons, not even the power button.
Try connecting to it via the TMG Defender Lite app. IF it does connect, it should show you the versions of the algo and ctrl updates. Even if the control version shows 1.03, still do the CTRL UPDATE button...
I'd probably have the transponders cable unplugged before this...

EDIT: I was able to revive mine by doing so. But shortly after that, after connected the cables, the CPU locked again, and it was just doing weird stuff period.

Last edited:

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Try connecting to it via the TMG Defender Lite app. IF it does connect, it should show you the versions of the algo and ctrl updates. Even if the control version shows 1.03, still do the CTRL UPDATE button...
I'd probably have the transponders cable unplugged before this...

EDIT: I was able to revive mine by doing so. But shortly after that, after connected the cables, the CPU locked again, and it was just doing weird stuff period.
Interesting, it shows up under Bluetooth under CTRL update. I was able to connect and update the firmware. It then rebooted and said system on. Seems functional.

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interesting, it shows up under Bluetooth under CTRL update. I was able to connect and update the firmware. It then rebooted and said system on. Seems functional.
Awesome!
Now the very important thing is to run one head at a time, and I would say at least few hours (accumulated) that way, before swapping the other one.
Before that, I would advice to just run the CPU without the transponder cable connected for some time. Use the same app or JBV1. That will ensure the CPU itself is working fine. If it does disconnect from the app frequently, then it is indeed the CPU...

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Jag42 The CPU froze again, and I powered it off and back on. Then on startup says System On, Algorithm Update each time. Then stopped responding. Reset didn’t work, firmware update didn’t work, nothing. After disconnecting the heads I tried a reset, that seemed to work. Plugged heads back in and the blue lights started blinking on and off, CPU started restarting itself. Guess I need to again disconnect heads one by one to find the culprit.....

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Jag42 The CPU froze again, and I powered it off and back on. Then on startup says System On, Algorithm Update each time. Then stopped responding. Reset didn’t work, firmware update didn’t work, nothing. After disconnecting the heads I tried a reset, that seemed to work. Plugged heads back in and the blue lights started blinking on and off, CPU started restarting itself. Guess I need to again disconnect heads one by one to find the culprit.....
Definitely connect one at a time. When you do, if the CPU misbehaving, make sure you power off immediately. That may prevent it from permanent failure. The longer it stays on wit ha possible bad head, the higher the chance of toasting it for good...

Jag42

USA TMG a-15 Dealer - PM me
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Pm me your info.

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Pm me your info.
I’ll be sending you a PM shortly. It was a bad head, luckily it was the first head I disconnected that was bad. I have an extra head because on my one system I bought an extra head and never installed it. It’s the head still in the packaging from the last one you swapped out on my other system. I left the plugs tucked right inside the front spoiler for easy access. Just cold as sh*t today to be laying on the ground, but I swapped it out.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilmaya