About Highway Radar for iOS and other non-Android platforms

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hey @ferius, long-time lurker and have seen a number of these "please bring it to iOS" threads over the past few years. No promises, but given the right circumstances I might want to take a crack at this. I'm a fairly competent software engineer, and while I work backend professionally I do have some iOS in my background (but it's pretty far back there at this point).

Would be happy to team up with @jake072 as well, if he's still interested in pursuing this at some point.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here if you'd like to chat!
Hi, this sounds awesome! I'll be happy to help with development. I'll send you a PM.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes with the demise of the hacked version of Waze for iOS, I'm really hoping you three can make this happen!

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey @ferius, long-time lurker and have seen a number of these "please bring it to iOS" threads over the past few years. No promises, but given the right circumstances I might want to take a crack at this. I'm a fairly competent software engineer, and while I work backend professionally I do have some iOS in my background (but it's pretty far back there at this point).

Would be happy to team up with @jake072 as well, if he's still interested in pursuing this at some point.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here if you'd like to chat!
:locked:

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
iOS users waiting on Highway Radar to someday be available on their platform. 😉😂

E196D6C5-5465-4B9A-830C-1B23574CCC93.jpeg

All the best and much success with the project! (from a fellow iPhone owner). 👍😎

Last edited:

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Haha appreciate the support and understand the enthusiasm. I too have wished that this was a thing, hence my motivation to get it done.

TO BE CLEAR, please be skeptical and take my expression of undertaking with a grain of salt! I may be the next in the line of folks who mentioned trying this and didn't follow through. I think that the scope and timing are right for me to take this on, but I need to some research and look into the implementation a bit more before committing to it.

Also a heads up, this will need to be a paid download in order for me to justify spending the time on it. I'll share more thoughts if we get to that point, but I would plan on providing free copies to a number of beta testers.

What's the best forum (no pun intended) for providing info/updates on this? Start my own thread? Maybe the "main" Highway Radar thread?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Haha appreciate the support and understand the enthusiasm. I too have wished that this was a thing, hence my motivation to get it done.

TO BE CLEAR, please be skeptical and take my expression of undertaking with a grain of salt! I may be the next in the line of folks who mentioned trying this and didn't follow through. I think that the scope and timing are right for me to take this on, but I need to some research and look into the implementation a bit more before committing to it.

Also a heads up, this will need to be a paid download in order for me to justify spending the time on it. I'll share more thoughts if we get to that point, but I would plan on providing free copies to a number of beta testers.

What's the best forum (no pun intended) for providing info/updates on this? Start my own thread? Maybe the "main" Highway Radar thread?

Thanks for stepping up to this challenge. I know that you won’t be lacking for members who want to be beta testers. 😉

Finally, a separate thread sounds like a great idea.

All the best!

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score

I’d pay for this 100%. As we all know, iPhone users traditionally have far more disposable income than android users anyways, so feel free to set any price under the sun for it!
*stirs pot viciously*

A separate thread is a great idea. Also, thanks to @ferius for his kind offer of giving you lots of the development that’s already done!

6thgear

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Would be great if you can pull this off! Would love to have Highwayradar on the iPhone. And, yes I would be willing to pay for the app & potentially beta test (however seat time has been down with WFH).

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes I’d pay too, happily - with the assumption that there’s a proper share with @ferius - and would also be happy to help beta test.
Ferius and I have spoken about what such an arrangement would look like. I'm not sure that we would share the details, but rest assured that it will be agreed upon. We'll need to work fairly close for this to work, so I imagine Ferius will speak in support of this project if it does come to fruition.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well stop talking about it and get going...just kidding and thanks giving it a try...we have faith in you!

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I hesitate to set the precedent of providing regular updates, but still wanted to share where things are. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make this happen and have completed quite a bit of research on how to go about doing so.

I've completed the basic - and it really is basic, by design - interface. Alerts will come in, and likely stay, at the top of the screen. I may want to add current speed and speed limit indicators that also live on the screen permanently (disabled with a setting, of course), but for now will put that on the backlog and rely on my speedometer.

The next steps are 1. creating the "pins" on the map to show various hazards, then 2. getting to work better understanding how to acquire and process crowd-sourced data.

screenshots.png

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
LEO and aircraft map pins created. Added indicator for speed limit and current speed. Locations and numbers are "hard-coded" for now, just trying to get the elements in place and looking right before wiring them up. The final UI piece should be alerts/notifications for new hazards plus a mute button.

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro - 2021-02-02 at 01.35.16.png

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Added notifications. Still trying to figure out how I want to implement sounds and the mute button, but that can come later once I get a better feel for functionality. Most of the updates from here on out will be functional since the UI elements are essentially done. Might take a screen capture video from time to time, but per usual, no promises.

As mentioned before, the next step is now getting to work better understanding how to acquire and process crowd-sourced data.

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro - 2021-02-03 at 01.33.18.png

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair