About Highway Radar for iOS and other non-Android platforms

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I've been asked many times about an iOS version of Highway Radar, so in this post, I want to summarize my thoughts about this and answer all possible questions that might arise.

TL;DR I have no plans of making an iOS version; however, I'll be happy to help with iOS version development if someone wants to do so.

As you might see, Highway Radar is 100% free, has no ads, and doesn't sell your data, and for now, I don't have any plans on adding any of those. So you might ask why I am even working on this. The answer may sound a bit egoistic, but I work on it because I simply want to have the best passive CM app on the road for myself. By spending little time on polishing and publishing, I can get plenty of useful feedback I can incorporate in the application so I get a better app for myself. Also, having public responsibility makes the app much better, which I also personally benefit from. This means that I only work on things that are somehow useful to me.

That said, let's move to the iOS version. I'm an Android user, so having an iOS version would bring only subtle benefits for me. I'll get more feedback on the server-side of the application (aircraft, heat maps, risk scores, road graph). However, maintaining another version of the app would take a significant amount of time. I don't want to spend it on something I will never use. Even more, considering I'm also a Windows person, I need to purchase at least ~$1500 worth of equipment (iPhone + MacBook + Apple Dev License) only to start the development.

It is possible to charge little money for iOS version (say, $10); however, currently, I'd prefer investing the time in new Android features. There are still many things to do.

Now some good news: Highway Radar is a very lightweight application, and quite a significant part is separated from the platform. Most of the logic either work on my server or gets precomputed on my powerful home machine. For example, I compute heat maps and risk scores, assemble camera database, and road graph every week. Then this data is served from my server in a format that is super easy to parse and visualize. All aircraft operations (fetching, merging, analyzing, and filtering) also happen on my server. Such an approach reduces the load on the mobile phone, reduces data usage, and allows me to update algorithms without updating the app. Except for fetching crowdsourced alerts, the Android application only visualizes data already prepared on my server.

And the best part is that I'd be happy to share this data with anyone (considering all credits are in place). Moreover, I'm ok with someone developing an iOS application called "Highway Radar" if it would have all the features of the Android app. I'm also happy to share algorithms I use in Highway Radar (e.g., pulling data from crowdsourcing server or estimating the severity of the aircraft alert).

So if anyone wants to build an iOS version, please reach out to me, I'll be delighted to help with this project.

6thgear

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Kudos @ferius You have developed a stellar app and have benefited the CM community! Unfortunately for me I’m currently running an iPhone and rather not have two phones (I have from time to time done this just to see what I am missing out on). Would love to see an Apple developer take you up on your offer!!

LuckyXII

Formerly known as JuniorIS350
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Would love to see someone with some IOS development experience take this on. I’d even be willing to pay for the app.

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm a big-time Android fan. I never liked iPhones. Androids Rocks!

Last edited:

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does it have to be a specific kind of iphone?

Im sure someone has one sitting in a drawer somewhere.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Does it have to be a specific kind of iphone?

Im sure someone has one sitting in a drawer somewhere.
Having the equipment is just one of many reasons why I'm not doing it, not the only one. The main reason is that I don't want to spend time on creating and maintaining another application and get almost zero benefit from this.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Having the equipment is just one of many reasons why I'm not doing it, not the only one. The main reason is that I don't want to spend time on creating and maintaining another application and get almost zero benefit from this.
Fair enough.
Final hail mary. - Paid app?

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Fair enough.
Final hail mary. - Paid app?
It is possible to charge little money for iOS version (say, $10); however, currently, I'd prefer investing the time in new Android features. There are still many things to do.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
... And the best part is that I'd be happy to share this data with anyone (considering all credits are in place). ...
Thank you, @ferius, for graciously sharing access to your police report heat map so I can add it to my own app (very soon). I know there's a lot of your time and resources behind this heat map, and your willingness to share it for the benefit of all is inspiring.

InDecay

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just got a cheap Android phone (Moto e6) to run your app (tethered to my iPhone data). It's highly appreciated you've made this, even if there isn't an iOS option yet.
I'm setting up my CarPlay system tonight, and it includes Android Auto. Does your app allow the ability to display on Android Auto? I know CarPlay is super strict on what they allow to be displayed.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just got a cheap Android phone (Moto e6) to run your app (tethered to my iPhone data). It's highly appreciated you've made this, even if there isn't an iOS option yet.
I'm setting up my CarPlay system tonight, and it includes Android Auto. Does your app allow the ability to display on Android Auto? I know CarPlay is super strict on what they allow to be displayed.
AAuto is super strict as well. Normally I run Waze navigation on AAuto screen and HwR on the phone screen at the same time.

alloy00

vMax
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obviously there is a lot of interest - just don't know how to find/force an iOS developer to do this for us!

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
One of the best things about Highway Radar is the super low data usage. Because I’m running it on a phone with only 200 mb per month, that low data use is super helpful. Thanks for all your work @ferius

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I am sure there are a number of people who would pay this fee for the app on iOS. iOS seems to get the 'major' app releases first/only...but these really unique and custom apps really only seem to be android based, which is so unfortunate! I hope one day you do find the time, and charge for an iOS version. If you have the free time and it is is fun you can do for free, but if you are working hard and sacrificing things you should make a few $$$ from it.

InDecay

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd happily pay $20 for an iOS version =)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM