Uniden R3 Mount for VW Golf

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’m looking for mounting options for my R3 in my 2015 VW Golf S TDI. The rear view mirror isn’t powered as it’s the base model. Any ideas? I had looked previously at blend mounts but didn’t think they were available for the el cheapo rear view mirror. Anyone with experience hardwiring in a Golf?

LuckyXII

Drive it like you stole it!
Advanced User
Reaction score
You should still be able to use a blendment for mounting, however you’ll probably have to tap into fuse box for power.

Check out @Tb12 dashcam and RD install on his VW Golf. Maybe he can provide some more guidance.

GolfR

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I hardwired my R1 by running the wire across the top of the windshield down the left side panel and connecting to the fuse box. I can't remember the exact details but I followed one of the guides I found online. Mine is a MK7 Golf R. As far as the mount itself, I just use the one that came with the detector. I really have no problems with it. It's small enough and fits really nicely on the left side of the mirror/windshield sensor.

astronuts

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I hardwired my R1 by running the wire across the top of the windshield down the left side panel and connecting to the fuse box. I can't remember the exact details but I followed one of the guides I found online. Mine is a MK7 Golf R. As far as the mount itself, I just use the one that came with the detector. I really have no problems with it. It's small enough and fits really nicely on the left side of the mirror/windshield sensor.
Were you able to tuck the wire in without removing the panels? I thought I read somewhere the roof liner and side pillar panel will never go back if they are removed.

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Were you able to tuck the wire in without removing the panels? I thought I read somewhere the roof liner and side pillar panel will never go back if they are removed.

I did the same. All the plastic panels snap in and out fine, just have to manage clips and make sure they didn't separate. Make sure you route the wires BEHIND the curtain airbag. Then a piggyback add-a-fuse to the accessory line. The roof liner does seem to be fussy with snapping back up but I haven't heard any rattles nor can I visually notice a difference. My wires are routed JUST under the lip, not tucked way back.

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've got an 18 GTI S and also have the cheap mirror. There's not some way to tap into power there in those lights/wires up top? Also, I've had issues with even the big suction cup mount failing on me. I've currently got mine just velcro'd to the dash. I know it affects range a bit but I've run most of my detectors like this over the years and always had sufficient range for my needs.

Shife

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you follow instructions found online you will be fine. The A pillar must be removed in a specific manner, or you will ruin the clips. You pull the A pillar trim away until it detents, and then you have to slide the retainers over to disengage. Watch some vids until you are comfortable with the process and you will have no problems.

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I use the double suction cup mount as a permanent mount. Just remove the suction cups and use 3M Double sided molding tape to mount high on the windshield. I also have a Blendmount that gets occasional use.
Run whichever hardwire kit you choose across the headliner to the A-pillar and down to the fuse box or to a closer switched 12 volt circuit if available.
20190129_092214.jpeg Screenshot_2018-11-13-03-35-23-1.png

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761