2018 Mustang - Alp, Uniden R1 and Viofo

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
After spending all day Saturday and Sunday working. I finally have my sensors in the front done. 3m double-sided tape and sugru are amazing! Really made the placement of the sensors so much easier than I anticipated. The tx head is aligned perfectly. The center of the grill was very forgiving. The two rx heads were mounted with sugru only. I could probably make it better using sugru and a bracket but, I could always change it later. The two rx heads are toed out because I only used my eyes to judge when fitting them up. Hopefully not toed out too much.

A3E95C06-4A40-4BB5-B299-36000DDC6717.jpeg
B80C27CE-9660-4A68-B9DD-D317A34C5259.jpeg
E6C85BE4-D387-47C0-848E-C6BFB6DBBB3C.jpeg
F340B875-A931-49A7-8152-69150CC507FF.jpeg
I have my Uniden r1 mounted with a suction cup on the windshield and hardwired to the mirror. Also have the Viofo A129 duo with the cable going to my 12v port.
6437A75C-0F3A-44E7-A60E-DEAB79494575.jpeg
79816CDB-9C27-41DC-A38D-50B9CC093164.jpeg
I have a tx head and two rc heads for the rear but have not installed them yet. I may have a professional installer do the rear because I’m not sure I will do a good job. Any recommendations for the Cincinnati area? Willing to make a couple hour drive if necessary.

Some bonus pictures from the install

67027C66-796D-4515-A68D-04983FBA7E85.jpeg
BAD2A6F2-0D7D-4F28-A177-B80226233E71.jpeg
848909CD-07A1-4AAE-AC3B-2C0B20C3CFB1.jpeg
4602341D-81CA-4616-BB3C-D1F6E072FD16.jpeg

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Really well done! Looks great.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Great looking install!

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d flip the ALP controller and drop the wiring into the side panel of the console to tidy things up. Also depending on your stealth preferences should you be pulled, a controller mounted on the side of the console can be hidden by your leg.

Nice install.

Rocky2

Advanced User
Reaction score
That was a great install the heads look like they are placed optimally. I am curious how hard was it to get through the firewall through the passenger side? It seemed like you have to remove a lot of plastic around the wheel well and inside the cabin. I have a 2019 Mustang GT and was thinking about getting the sound tube delete kit and running the wires through the firewall that way but kind of scares me if I did that they might try and void the warranty if anything happens.

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The heads blend in beautifully. Really nice!
Really well done! Looks great.
Great looking install!
Thanks!
I’d flip the ALP controller and drop the wiring into the side panel of the console to tidy things up. Also depending on your stealth preferences should you be pulled, a controller mounted on the side of the console can be hidden by your leg.

Nice install.
Good idea. The current interior setup was just to tidy up all the cables for the time being. Will probably rearrange a lot of it when I have more time free up.
That was a great install the heads look like they are placed optimally. I am curious how hard was it to get through the firewall through the passenger side? It seemed like you have to remove a lot of plastic around the wheel well and inside the cabin. I have a 2019 Mustang GT and was thinking about getting the sound tube delete kit and running the wires through the firewall that way but kind of scares me if I did that they might try and void the warranty if anything happens.
Getting the cables through the firewall was my biggest concern heading into this project. It ended up being much easier than I thought. Once you get the wheel off, the only thing standing in the way is the wheel well cover. It comes of very easily as it is only being held up with those plastic pull tab things. Once you pull those out and pull the wheel well cover over, the grommet is real close. The inside is even easier. Just pull the carpet out and flip insulation over a little and you can see the other side of the grommet. Not sure about the warranty, didn’t even think of that but I’m not too worried as I sealed up any opening after pulling the cables through. This video is what I watched to help me.

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Looks great!! I am looking forward to getting some installed for myself. On a side note (seems silly) but you should check out Bumper Plugs. Painted plastic plugs that will fill the plate holes that were already drilled. I think they are a little pricy but they made my bumper look a bit cleaner. My used car already had them drilled out.

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Looks great!! I am looking forward to getting some installed for myself. On a side note (seems silly) but you should check out Bumper Plugs. Painted plastic plugs that will fill the plate holes that were already drilled. I think they are a little pricy but they made my bumper look a bit cleaner. My used car already had them drilled out.
Thanks! I’ll check them out.

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That should serve you well! I have ALP and an R1 and it's a solid combination for sure!

InDecay

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Mustang GT and was thinking about getting the sound tube delete kit and running the wires through the firewall that way but kind of scares me if I did that they might try and void the warranty if anything happens.
I did a sound tube delete to run my jammer wires on my Mazda through the firewall. Worked perfect.
Manufacturer can’t void a warranty for removing something like that, unless you left an unplugge hole into your intake

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I may have a professional installer do the rear because I’m not sure I will do a good job.
Do not assume that someone else knows more than you or can do a better job. You may be disappointed. You did a GREAT job with the front installation. You obviously have the skill and patients to do a great install in the rear. If I not have the skill or time, then I would submit for a pro to work the install. Good luck.

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do not assume that someone else knows more than you or can do a better job. You may be disappointed. You did a GREAT job with the front installation. You obviously have the skill and patients to do a great install in the rear. If I not have the skill or time, then I would submit for a pro to work the install. Good luck.
Thanks, I’ve been thinking about it and I’m going to try it out. unfortunately the weather here is going to be cold and wet for a while so it may be a couple weeks but that just give me more time to plan.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hopefully not too many patients! He may get too busy with them and run out of patience for the install ;)
Oops. Too funny. I laughed out loud at this one. I have many many many fam members that work in health care, so I guess I know of only one way to spell it.

allitalian35

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
After spending all day Saturday and Sunday working. I finally have my sensors in the front done. 3m double-sided tape and sugru are amazing! Really made the placement of the sensors so much easier than I anticipated. The tx head is aligned perfectly. The center of the grill was very forgiving. The two rx heads were mounted with sugru only. I could probably make it better using sugru and a bracket but, I could always change it later. The two rx heads are toed out because I only used my eyes to judge when fitting them up. Hopefully not toed out too much.

View attachment 139117
View attachment 139119
View attachment 139118
View attachment 139120
I have my Uniden r1 mounted with a suction cup on the windshield and hardwired to the mirror. Also have the Viofo A129 duo with the cable going to my 12v port.
View attachment 139121
View attachment 139122
I have a tx head and two rc heads for the rear but have not installed them yet. I may have a professional installer do the rear because I’m not sure I will do a good job. Any recommendations for the Cincinnati area? Willing to make a couple hour drive if necessary.

Some bonus pictures from the install

View attachment 139123
View attachment 139124
View attachment 139125
View attachment 139126
Post automatically merged:

Looks great Ohioluck. So I can't tell by the photos. Using the sugru did you not have to cut the grill to place the RX sensors?

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

Looks great Ohioluck. So I can't tell by the photos. Using the sugru did you not have to cut the grill to place the RX sensors?
Correct, no cutting required.

allitalian35

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I wanted to share some photos of my install so far with you. I’ve been dragging it out checking out your install and thinking how I want to do mine. Still not finished but happy about my progress so far. Although after looking at the photos it doesn’t seem like a lot but this took me like half a day for some reason (just installed control box, speaker and LED) Check out my controller installed on the inside of the fuse cover. It fits sensor cables and all with plenty of room between the controller and fuse block when the cover is attached. I like how it’s turning out but need to finish as I tend to change my mind if I think about it too long. Not to crazy about the LED but I had trouble deciding where to mount it without drilling a hole or something (if you have any suggestions on that ?). Anxious to get this thing fired up and road tested!
Sensor locations for the front already prepped, I just need to attach them, adjust then run the cables as you did through the wheel well. I’ll post photos when there mounted.

784A4080-6D96-47C0-A94E-3A7C185E430E.jpeg
A1CE40A3-17B7-4CD6-A8EA-8088FD6260BE.jpeg
F6A057A7-06F5-4C05-B515-8AD7B043ED39.jpeg
2B9D3608-9948-4683-916A-A958ED3888B2.jpeg
7B3D350C-E9C6-4502-955E-1AC62E3A3DDA.jpeg
75C21C72-5572-4453-824D-3845F7407692.jpeg
491B208F-9C6E-461A-B33F-5C9B04392926.jpeg
4878CC0E-B6BC-41A4-9168-B597A4DB5111.jpeg
EEEB1DFA-4AF5-4DAF-8D7B-C0A9166AC074.jpeg

Ohioluck

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I wanted to share some photos of my install so far with you. I’ve been dragging it out checking out your install and thinking how I want to do mine. Still not finished but happy about my progress so far. Although after looking at the photos it doesn’t seem like a lot but this took me like half a day for some reason (just installed control box, speaker and LED) Check out my controller installed on the inside of the fuse cover. It fits sensor cables and all with plenty of room between the controller and fuse block when the cover is attached. I like how it’s turning out but need to finish as I tend to change my mind if I think about it too long. Not to crazy about the LED but I had trouble deciding where to mount it without drilling a hole or something (if you have any suggestions on that ?). Anxious to get this thing fired up and road tested!
Sensor locations for the front already prepped, I just need to attach them, adjust then run the cables as you did through the wheel well. I’ll post photos when there mounted.

View attachment 143756View attachment 143757View attachment 143758View attachment 143759View attachment 143760View attachment 143761View attachment 143762View attachment 143763View attachment 143764
Looks really clean so far! I like where you put the control pad. Much more stealth and clean than what I did. I will probably change mine to follow that. The LED is a tough one. I wanted it up near the tachometer like everyone else does but there isn’t even length to get it there. I don’t have the LED installed anywhere yet because I couldn’t find any good place to put it without it being annoying. The control box inside the fuse cover is great! I placed mine up above the passenger feet to try and get some extra length for cables. Looking forward to rest of your set up.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesus359