Brainstorming Theia testing ideas

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Back to serious testing suggestions, setting up a very difficult off axis, around a bend and over a hill with plenty of foliage type of test would give us a worse case scenario of what Theia is capable of sniffing out.
10 mile long straight stretches of flat highway makes for impressive, big number detections, but realistically we're rarely at risk in those situations.
That's a great idea. That's a good way to separate good vs. cheapy detectors in general.

Too3zln

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If the hype is real, I have a notion that we are all going to be dialing BACK the sensitivity. Theia may pick up signals that we just don't need to be caring about. Even with my r1 in the city with KA, it will pick up signals in a direction I am not heading, due to bouncing off buildings. Even my SP does that. I hope this is the case that we may have all the range one can desire, and dial back accordingly.

Thick foliage and winding roads would be great testing parameters to start with.
Post automatically merged:

And if that is the case, I hope that the antenna design is of a slightly more "directional" nature, instead if off axis capability. With a bidirectional horn design and the supposed sensitivity, off axis may not be as important any longer.

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How can anyone agree on filter settings when the point of them is balance between noise and signal. In any given area the settings can be different. I can run practically unfiltered in farmland but need pretty much everything you have near even a decent size city. The tests will be interesting to someone like me that is interested but at the end of the day the game here is performance without the need for filters. If indeed filters are needed with Theia then we have a reason for comparison of how much filter before it tips the scale. The only test, as I said, is how well will it perform without filters versus the others doing the same. As with Ka, most of these detectors will provide enough range on K to save you, the issue is how much noise do you have to endure to have that result. The only reason we have all of those settings like K filter, Adv % and things is because they detect what is not a radar signal. Perhaps a test would be to setup some BSMs and a real radar, see how Theia performs, then see if the other detectors can be tuned to detect at distance while still blocking the BSMs. It would take filter adjustments but that would be the balance that could be applied to each detector in the lineup. BTW, I'm not arguing a point of any kind, just speaking of what I personally would like to see in a test.
Neat idea.

How do you suggest we set that up?
Got a car in mind?
Some specific distance to keep from it?
A speed that the vehicles should be traveling at?
Behind? To the side?

I’m all for different testing strategies.... but I’d like you to help me, help you, achieve that type of test.

Then like any good testing practices.... make it so it can be reproduced by anyone else with the same equipment , to confirm or challenge the results.

Sounds good in theory, but you’ve got to be able to pull it off repeatedly.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Neat idea.

How do you suggest we set that up?
Got a car in mind?
Some specific distance to keep from it?
A speed that the vehicles should be traveling at?
Behind? To the side?

I’m all for different testing strategies.... but I’d like you to help me, help you, achieve that type of test.

Then like any good testing practices.... make it so it can be reproduced by anyone else with the same equipment , to confirm or challenge the results.

Sounds good in theory, but you’ve got to be able to pull it off repeatedly.
No idea. I cant image how you would setup a test like that repeatably but I assume something can be done if Radenso is testing and willing to confirm they are blocking the signals. They are training the AI somehow as well. I personally have no idea but its what needs to be done to really test the balance in filtering and alerting. I’m more of the marketing type, its up to engineering to figure out the way. Ha.

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
If the hype is real, I have a notion that we are all going to be dialing BACK the sensitivity. Theia may pick up signals that we just don't need to be caring about.
More than likely default sensitivity will be reduced to be a little bit more than competitors and it will be up to individuals if they want to crank it up or not

Heywood

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No idea. I cant image how you would setup a test like that repeatably but I assume something can be done if Radenso is testing and willing to confirm they are blocking the signals. They are training the AI somehow as well. I personally have no idea but its what needs to be done to really test the balance in filtering and alerting. I’m more of the marketing type, its up to engineering to figure out the way. Ha.
Gotcha.
I’m the blunt instrument person with the time and resources.

If you figure it out.... let me know. I’ll consider it , and if I can make it a reality, I’d give it a go for not only you, but for the community in general.

First I’ve got to hope that either I get chosen to be one of those independent testers ... or try to smuggle a Theia ....or 2 across .... the boarder.

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You can have Theia sent to my US mailbox near the border and I can send to you 😃
Post automatically merged:

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a 20min drive for me. Now I can’t promise I wouldnt do some seat time and testing with it before I sent to you...lol...

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
More than likely default sensitivity will be reduced to be a little bit more than competitors and it will be up to individuals if they want to crank it up or not
I’m gonna crank it up! Just try and stop me.

Attachments

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
When you don't have to suffer through false alerts I don't see why high sensitivity would be much of a problem. In an area with lots of genuine police radar I can see that you might want to dial things back, but generally not. No radar detector that I know of could ever distinguish between a strong, clean K band signal at 3 miles and a masked K band signal at 1/2 mile. Weak signal strength doesn't always equal a distant threat. It could just mean that a nearby signal is not getting to your detector's horn very successfully.

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I want to see a quick 1 touch sensitivity setting that goes Max-med-low for quick adjustment to suit entering different environments.
And the option to do this automatically based on GPS speed similar to Pro M AutoCity.
Don't need obscene range downtown 1 block from RCMP station with multiple radar spewing cars coming, going and parked.
We will need to scale the Theia sensitivity settings so we have a perspective on how much range changes.

Token

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
How about including a detector that you know falses on everything under the sun? A detector or a set of settings for a detector (if such exists) that has good real signal sensitivity but turns out to be useless because of the high false rates, and then set it to the mode that will result in the most detections of everything? Obviously, you can't use that data to quantify the performance of that specific detector, you are intentionally putting it in a bad way, but it might serve as baseline data for how often all the other detectors being tested are rejecting falses. Just have it on for all other testing to show when the RDs under test are filtering a false.

T!

Heywood

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How about including a detector that you know falses on everything under the sun? A detector or a set of settings for a detector (if such exists) that has good real signal sensitivity but turns out to be useless because of the high false rates, and then set it to the mode that will result in the most detections of everything? Obviously, you can't use that data to quantify the performance of that specific detector, you are intentionally putting it in a bad way, but it might serve as baseline data for how often all the other detectors being tested are rejecting falses. Just have it on for all other testing to show when the RDs under test are filtering a false.

T!
How would you eliminate the interference between the 2 detectors to ensure that’s not tainting the results?

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
How would you eliminate the interference between the 2 detectors to ensure that’s not tainting the results?
Theia should run fine in the presence of other RD's, but the comparison RD may have issues like you suggest. Videos of each RD on independent runs on the same course would give a good visual comparison between the 2 (or more) Rd's.

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Testing ideas?

I have OCD. I don't mean "I hella have OCD", I mean for real. I have the pills and everything to try to manage it.

In MY case, it's the obsession over poring over details and finding things that probably go unnoticed by others. Sometimes it doesn't make a lick of difference. But you never know.

Best send one my way ASAP to be sure. It's a medical need.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hx1