New Jersey State Police Highway 195 Instant / Constant On?

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last night on 195 in New Jersey I noted FOUR different instances (two in one direction, the same two going back) where NJSP were parked on the center median perpendicular to traffic, lights out, and where reception of Ka only began very close (within 200 feet or so) of their location and then died very quickly after passing them. It was dark and I could not see the type of transmitter that was being used, if they were handheld out the window or not.

I have a iX Ci Platform with one radar sensor mounted in front.

I am wondering how I can determine whether or not they were transmitting constant or instant on. All four hits were very consistent in warnings for two LEO vehicles, at two locations, two passes each. Since this occured when I was travelling past both their front and rear (again, they were perpendicular) I am assuming they were constant on & vehicle mounted .... but then would such little warning be explained by the small distance & angle off, or should I have received more warning?

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have experienced this same phenomenon and am curious if anyone knows anymore about it. Each time has been a waze save only; by the time I am alerted to them it would be too late.

Running a V1 for reference

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have experienced this same phenomenon and am curious if anyone knows anymore about it. Each time has been a waze save only; by the time I am alerted to them it would be too late.

Running a V1 for reference

Interesting. Waze also warned me of three out of four and I was well under the speed limit at all times. I am assuming for the fourth hit the LEO moved to the next median crossover between my trip there and back.

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They may have had the units powered on but not tracking the speed of cars going by. I notice this when I pass the police station near my home. The cars are parked but I get the same kind of K & Ka alert as I go past.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They may have had the units powered on but not tracking the speed of cars going by. I notice this when I pass the police station near my home. The cars are parked but I get the same kind of K & Ka alert as I go past.

So then constant on?

Or are you saying that I am receiving warnings of emissions when the transmitting system is in a stand-by state? Curious.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Off-axis constant on. The beam is going to the side so naturally the signal would be picked up at a short distance. Be careful with them set up perpendicular since they can be using lidar.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They could have been using laser and just left the radar on. So it’s constant on but since they are 90 degrees off axis your detection distance is severely limited at speed.
Edit: @V1Jake beat me to it.

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Off-axis constant on. The beam is going to the side so naturally the signal would be picked up at a short distance. Be careful with them set up perpendicular since they can be using lidar.
For this hypothesis to be accurate wouldn’t I be receiving more than 2 signal strength upon passing?

I go by perpendicular C/O often and receive ample warning and nearly full signal strength upon passing.

radarrob

Newcumber
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I-95 is constant on Ka 34.7 radar. NJSP do not use radar guns. When they’re particular to the road you’re not gonna receive an alert in till you’re on top of them because the signal is pointed away in the opposite direction.If there are particular to the road Laser is being set up the radar is on constant on as an additional back up for a tracking history.

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I-95 is constant on Ka 34.7 radar. NJSP do not use radar guns. When they’re particular to the road you’re not gonna receive an alert in till you’re on top of them because the signal is pointed away in the opposite direction.
Perhaps their rear antenna is on while forward facing perpendicular to the interstate?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Perpendicular to the road is a dead giveaway they are setup for LIDAR. They often leave their radar on while doing this, and you'll get some warning as you approach depending on the terrain and which antenna(s) they are running. No radar readings are possible while their antennas are aimed across the road though.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For this hypothesis to be accurate wouldn’t I be receiving more than 2 signal strength upon passing?

I go by perpendicular C/O often and receive ample warning and nearly full signal strength upon passing.

It depends I guess if they have the front or rear antenna. I've had both where it's still ample warning/strong signal or it's a short warning/low signal

radarrob

Newcumber
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Perhaps their rear antenna is on while forward facing perpendicular to the interstate?
I have come across this countless times. Every time I pass them both antennas are on. I’m starting to see lots of rear Ka by NJSP.

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Perpendicular to the road is a dead giveaway they are setup for LIDAR. They often leave their radar on while doing this, and you'll get some warning as you approach depending on the terrain and which antenna(s) they are running. No radar readings are possible while their antennas are aimed across the road though.
This does not explain the occurrence while parallel with the road. I encountered a small town police parallel with the highway sporting a PL3 through the windshield while running C/O 34.7. I got up to three signal strength only both approaching and leaving.

Can speed be measured when detection distance is so limited? It’s reminiscent of low powered K.

radarrob

Newcumber
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This does not explain the occurrence while parallel with the road. I encountered a small town police parallel with the highway sporting a PL3 through the windshield while running C/O 34.7. I got up to three signal strength only both approaching and leaving.

Can speed be measured when detection distance is so limited? It’s reminiscent of low powered K.
To answer your question yes. Speed can be measured when detection distance is so limited.
Post automatically merged:

I have to head out and run some errands I’m gonna see if I come across some of these encounters and post a video up in this thread.

Last edited:

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you are referring to I-195, they use both I/O & CO and both stationary and mobile. With mobile they just love hitting you from the opposite direction while you are both driving, giving them an excuse to cut through the center grass and floor it to catch up. I've gotten no tickets there with CO but I did get a ticket there with I/O a few years back despite having a RD. Even with rabbits in front they wait for the fastest rabbit.

With I/O they do not normally sample the pack but rather wait for someone who is obviously significantly over the limit to make it worth their time as they know how rabbits work. I've also seen them on one occasion use rear-hit laser on the westbound side where they were hidden behind a bridge and shot after you past.

I-195 in NJ is perhaps the worst enforcement corridor to successfully navigate that I've run into in any state and I don't know anyone there who got away with a mere warning. They are out for revenue and they get it.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Yep. I have lidar receivers and shifters. No lidar reception in this case. - T
Post automatically merged:

I-95 is constant on Ka 34.7 radar. NJSP do not use radar guns. When they’re particular to the road you’re not gonna receive an alert in till you’re on top of them because the signal is pointed away in the opposite direction.If there are particular to the road Laser is being set up the radar is on constant on as an additional back up for a tracking history.

Mine was 195 near Jackson NJ

Last edited:

Grouchyass

It's never easy!
General User
Reaction score
Last night on 195 in New Jersey I noted FOUR different instances (two in one direction, the same two going back) where NJSP were parked on the center median perpendicular to traffic, lights out, and where reception of Ka only began very close (within 200 feet or so) of their location and then died very quickly after passing them. It was dark and I could not see the type of transmitter that was being used, if they were handheld out the window or not.

I have a iX Ci Platform with one radar sensor mounted in front.

I am wondering how I can determine whether or not they were transmitting constant or instant on. All four hits were very consistent in warnings for two LEO vehicles, at two locations, two passes each. Since this occured when I was travelling past both their front and rear (again, they were perpendicular) I am assuming they were constant on & vehicle mounted .... but then would such little warning be explained by the small distance & angle off, or should I have received more warning?

195 in NJ you will encounter Moving and Stationary KA 34.7 Usually State Police CO and IO I believe NJSP also Train their new Police recruits on operation of Radar and Laser speed enforcement as well so very well patrolled at times! The local PD's also get in on the action on this stretch of highway at times so beware.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
195 in NJ you will encounter Moving and Stationary KA 34.7 Usually State Police CO and IO I believe NJSP also Train their new Police recruits on operation of Radar and Laser speed enforcement as well so very well patrolled at times! The local PD's also get in on the action on this stretch of highway at times so beware.

I live close to it. I also believe it is a NJSP training area.

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The local PD's also get in on the action on this stretch of highway at times so beware.
They do indeed co-enforce with locals and it was a local who got me with I/O there. I don't want to give them any praise but they have some of the best I/O operators I've run across and rabbits offer little protection there. Wish they would go to laser so that shifters can address the issue. That road is a revenue bonanza for both the state and local jurisdictions. It's wide open, in the middle of nowhere so to speak, and what vehicles are there are often 80 mph+

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761