Status
Not open for further replies.

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
America's Dairyland - Smell our Dairy Air!
But I can tell you that when it becomes available as a remote installed system, it will be the one to get if either the the seller or the buyer have even half a clue.

With the clues given that there will be a remote system in the future and the possibility it will integrate with ALP, I'm so looking forward to that time. In the mean time...

I would like to ask if there is a tentative timeline to introduce a remote system and also if there is a general premium spread over the wsrd Theia. These things would greatly affect my choice of purchasing the wsrd Theia over the remote version. I mean, will it be years? Then I will buy the wsrd. Will the remote version be 3x the amount of the wsrd? If it is more, wsrd for now.

I hope this makes sense as I am still formulating what I really wanted to say, but need to go to work, being essential and all:doh:

FYI to someone in the past posts: BOM means Bill of Materials

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
With the clues given that there will be a remote system in the future and the possibility it will integrate with ALP, I'm so looking forward to that time. In the mean time...

I would like to ask if there is a tentative timeline to introduce a remote system and also if there is a general premium spread over the WS Theia. These things would greatly affect my choice of purchasing the wsrd Theia over the remote version. I mean, will it be years? Then I will buy the wsrd. Will the remote version be 3x the amount of the wsrd? If it is more, wsrd for now.

I hope this makes sense as I am still formulating what I really wanted to say, but need to go to work, being essential and all:doh:

What what is happening in the economy, we will be focusing first on the dash mount lineup before we update our custom install. Given the fact that Congress has failed to get money into small businesses quickly, I am anticipating between 30-50% of dealers will go out of business nationwide and the market for custom install will decrease due to pricing.

ncoffi

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
20200410_133453.jpg

I've invested $850 to keep Jon and the team going... who's with me?

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There are lots of ways that we could cut BOM cost. Eliminating LNAs, not using a metal case, using cheaper (or eliminating) GPS/BT components, using a ADC with lower bit depth and lower sample rate, using a smaller FPGA, etc. I'm not saying we will do any of that (honestly it's too early, we haven't decided) just that those are all ways to cut cost and sacrifice a bit of range/features.
Whenever it comes to cost-cutting measures I'm always reminded of this.
What kind of 'horse' do you want hanging from your windshield?

1586544844518.png

WBDubya

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am not a conspiracy theorist or prepper type, but I do like my privacy, so having said that...
You know that type of technology works both ways. If for some reason "Big Brother" needs to know where your vehicle is, or for that matter what rate you are traveling, they just need to ask, although they may need some paperwork to go with that ask, it is possible. Think OnStar: Law Enforcement Has Been Using OnStar, SiriusXM, To Eavesdrop, Track Car Locations For More Than 15 Year

I don't have OnStar but figured Big Brother was always listening to cars that had it. Never thought about SiriusXM - maybe it's time to cancel!

chapRD

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't have OnStar but figured Big Brother was always listening to cars that had it. Never thought about SiriusXM - maybe it's time to cancel!
The SiriusXM thing is only possible if you have SiriusXM Guardian available which AFAIK is in a limited make of cars.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
How would SiriusXM be used to track you? It's just a receiver...

Edit: Thanks @chapRD. The linked article/warrant is misleading, as they actually used SiriusXM Connected Services (a 3G cellular based service) to track the vehicle. It has nothing to do with satellite radio receivers.

Last edited:

ncoffi

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Buz I am still laughing at your picture, so true.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
A simple ability to report it stolen, and then Radenso can brick it and report location whenever it is plugged into a computer and connects to their server.
If it could do that with it's own internal WiFi or Bluetooth all the better.
Cooperation with 3rd party apps may help do this too.
There is absolutely no point in reporting location of stolen detector - a person can always say that he/she found it and this would be a waste of police time to go to that person's house.

However it is a good idea to have theft protection in general, like unique hardware ID, the original owner can register it and activate it then have an ability to report it as stolen. If the detector that was reported as stolen will be connected to the configuration and update app on PC - the app will check the hardware ID and block it, making detector unusable (meaning it will not detect anything and will just show a message on display that "detector is locked, please contact Radenso for more details" even if it is not connected to any device) until the owner will contact Radenso and remove the stolen status using appropriate password.
And for people who say "what if the thief will never connect it to PC" - you just force the thief to do this. Detector should have a feature which you can enable and which would force you to connect detector to PC app every 30 days or so otherwise it would automatically go into "stolen" mode and become unusable. People who do not want to use this feature can always keep it disabled.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The idea of being able to brick the detector once it’s connected to a computer for updating is probably the best idea.

I wouldn’t worry about them tracking you. It would only work if you had a Wi-Fi hotspot in your car... or paired to your phone.

I don’t think Radenso will do that.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
The idea of being able to brick the detector once it’s connected to a computer for updating is probably the best idea.

I wouldn’t worry about them tracking you. It would only work if you had a Wi-Fi hotspot in your car... or paired to your phone.

I don’t think Radenso will do that.

Hell, if Jon and Co. are gonna track me and see the speeds Theia is saving me at, it might make good marketing material!

That's off the record, of course :shifty:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Theia could also have an auto unlock feature each time it's started.
By recognizing a safe Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS locations, voice recognition, etc.
This way theives will soon learn there is no market for an unusable device.

Heywood

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

It’s better to brick the unit and then it’s returned back to Radenso.... or turned over the police.

The security pass key idea that @AlexJ came up with is something I never thought of, and could have some merit as long as it was optional. Maybe monthly might be a little to quick, but it’s an idea that warrants consideration.

If it was publicly known that they could do this, they would just continue to use it without updating. If it came to fruition.... I’d prefer the acknowledgment of it to be elevated to a higher level not accessible to the general public that might lurk here or someone who just creates an account without participation to find out about these security measures.

billvp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The average car smash & grab thief isn't going to be an expert on radar detectors (especially Theia) and thus know that it doesn't have value if these "bricking" ideas are implemented, so I'd rather not have any tracking at all.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
The security pass key idea that @AlexJ came up with is something I never thought of, and could have some merit as long as it was optional. Maybe monthly might be a little to quick, but it’s an idea that warrants consideration.

Does not have to be monthly, they can add option to check every 3 months or even 6 months. And the timer would automatically reset once you connect your detector to the PC app or mobile app before that time, such as when you are updating it with new software, and once the app automatically checked whether the detector's unique ID is marked as "stolen".

If Radenso would want, they can even monetize this feature and require owners to pay monthly or yearly fee to use it... Though I doubt they would be that greedy to do this ;-)

If it was publicly known that they could do this, they would just continue to use it without updating.

No, like I said, the thieves cannot use detector with this feature enabled by owner, the detector will have a built-in clock which would automatically disable the detector after, say, 6 month of use if the thief does not validate it by connecting it to PC so Radenso's app can check if specific ID was marked as "stolen". No internet connection would be needed for detector to become bricked. It would not matter at all if the thief would know this feature exists.

Heywood

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@AlexJ

With the open API, it might be an option for a app developer to incorporate. I’m not sure that Radenso wants to be the policeman for the masses. Could get messy for the 2nd hand market.

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I like this idea.

Pair this with a "contact Radenso" message, and a customer service "sure, just send it in and we'll fix it for free" (and then send to registered owner), it could work well.

That said, it will make buying used gear a bit risky, there will need to be an easy way to switch ownership and prove as such online.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I am very wary about anything that "phones home" or tracks location of the device. None of that will be in at launch for sure. Frankly I think one of my engineers would quit if we implemented something anything that had the potential to violate privacy; we have a rather idealistic group of individuals.

That's the beauty of open source though. Someone can make a version that has those features in it if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761