Laptop comparison in $2000 price range

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
This was a good video comparison of various powerful laptops in a price range of about $2000 or less, depending on configuration. You do not have to select most powerful GPU when buying them if you do not play modern games. It just shows you do not have to look at famous brand name to get best performance for a price. Pay particular attention to temperature tests and CPU frequency at these temps:

And for the record, Eluktronics is a brand which resells laptop chassis made by TongFang and they provide all the warranty for them. I do not own any laptop by Eluktronics but maybe someday I'll consider giving it a try.

rj0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would highly advise anyone who is looking at spending $2,000 on a computer for gaming purposes as OP mentions to strongly consider building a desktop instead of buying a laptop. Laptops are generally less reliable, more expensive and worse performing than their desktop counterparts. If you need further proof, please see any major E-Sports competition. If those competing in such tournaments are to be considered 'professionals' then we should look to them for advice on how we should set up our rigs. You will not find any competitor in such a league using a laptop.

This isn't to say there is no place for laptop's like these, but in most cases a desktop is more suitable.

AlexJ

Beginner User
Reaction score
I agree that a desktop would be always preferable, just because you can use the larger fans which would be more quiet and long lasting, however sometimes using laptops might be more convenient even for gaming purposes, so this video is just for the cases like those ;-)

Reactions: rj0

Beermonster

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I agree that a desktop would be always preferable, just because you can use the larger fans which would be more quiet and long lasting, however sometimes using laptops might be more convenient even for gaming purposes, so this video is just for the cases like those ;-)
No kidding, last thing I'd want to do is haul around a desktop when travelling for work. I can fit my work laptop and my MSI GE75 in my bag.

While I agree that you get better hardware for the same money in a desktop it isn't always a viable option. Nice list of decent gaming laptops.

Smirnoff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
SSD & WiFi 6 are mandatory for any new '20 PC.

200V

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For $2k you can get a decent laptop (i7) and build a decent desktop ($450 GPU card. Etc).

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
In that price range it's possible to have a high-end laptop with dedicated graphics card, fully capable of running CAD software. It would most likely be non-touch screen, but absolutely dependable. In fact, where I work, we did order a custom built Dell laptop for a teacher (engineering class), with add-in GPU and dual SSD config for less than that...

AlexJ

Beginner User
Reaction score
For $2k you can get a decent laptop (i7) and build a decent desktop ($450 GPU card. Etc).
That is "around $2000", it is certainly possible to configure them with much lower price if you want to have less storage or you do not need powerful GPU. For example, Eluktronics Max-15 can be configured for like $1400 instead of $2000 and is still a better choice than, for example, something like Dell G7 or G5 because it has better cooling design. Same goes for other models by other brands. And there are even cheaper models available without any dedicated GPU for people who do not need them at all. This is just a specific comparison for people who might need them.

And again, I dunno why people keep mentioning "desktop" thing. Like I said above, the desktop will definitely be more reliable and offer higher performance but sometimes people just want to have a laptop which can play modern games decently regardless of what desktop they have. I specifically bought my Dell G7 for that, though this was a mistake because it is Dell and not because "I could buy cheaper laptop without Nvidia RTX GPU and then buy desktop with desktop RTX GPU instead".

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
For the average "power user", this is a good solution. However it has been my experience that some of the lesser known brands have a higher failure rate. I'm right now pricing high end work horse laptops and I cannot get away from the 4K to 6K range. But the amount of computing power I need including RAM and storage is and absolute must. GPU is also a consideration since what I use will most certainly utilize the GPU as well.

I know a desktop is the route to go, however for when I have to be on a client site doing what I do I need to have the power portable.

Exadata

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a new laptop, I'd go for one of these and they start right at $2,000.

Last edited:

AlexJ

Beginner User
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a new laptop, I'd go for one of these and they start right at $2,000.

Alienware laptops are not very good for the price. The 51M models are known for having issues with GPU, including failed GPU boards or issues with GPU thermal throttling or issues with BIOS flashing. There is a huge thread that discusses them:

Exadata

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Alienware laptops are not very good for the price. The 51M models are known for having issues with GPU, including failed GPU boards or issues with GPU thermal throttling or issues with BIOS flashing. There is a huge thread that discusses them:
That’s for the info!

mb300sd

PSL +200
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using the MSI Gaming Series laptops for a few generations now. Just broke my 1.5 year old GS75 (smashed by a jet ski cover while I was looking at the service manual and the trailer tilted with my weight) and ordered the new one with the i9-10980HK. Transferring the SSD and 128GB RAM from the old one. Don't play a single game, but they're great as a workstation. CAD/CAM, compiling software, and running tons of virtual machines mostly. Having a TB3 port is a requirement - able to connect any PCIe device, I have 40GbE on it :). Never been a fan of being stuck in 1 place with a desktop, RDPing into a server for anything the laptop can't handle is a lot more convenient.

Last edited:

AlexJ

Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been using the MSI Gaming Series laptops for a few generations now. Just broke my 1.5 year old GS75 (smashed by a jet ski cover while I was looking at the service manual and the trailer tilted with my weight) and ordered the new one with the i9-10980HK. Transferring the SSD and 128GB RAM from the old one. Don't play a single game, but they're great as a workstation. CAD/CAM, compiling software, and running tons of virtual machines mostly. Having a TB3 port is a requirement - able to connect any PCIe device, I have 40GbE on it :). Never been a fan of being stuck in 1 place with a desktop, RDPing into a server for anything the laptop can't handle is a lot more convenient.
Lucky you. I had MSI GE63VR, that was my first and last MSI laptop. Not only it was a bitch to disassemble (MSI really likes to use flimsy plastic clips to hold back cover on some laptops), the flimsy plastic hinges for display broke in less than a year. When I disassembled it, it was sad and amusing to see the thin plastic sockets which MSI used to hold the metal screw sockets for hinges.

These are not my images but they show the exact problem I had:

MSI-GE62-GP62-PE60-29.jpg

The fans on this specific MSI models were also pretty loud. Only thing I liked was the SteelSeries keyboard MSI used, much better than anything Dell uses or other brands like Sager.

mb300sd

PSL +200
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that generation definitely had some issues. My GT72S had the motherboard replaced twice for a bad power regulation IC. The keyboard cable needed to be taped and cleaned to fix 3 buttons not working. I'm typing on it now lol, I retired it when the regulator died again and I'm doing this to charge it until the replacement GS75 I ordered shows up.

IfGS9IC.jpg
The generation before that and latest generation are great though. Didn't have a single issue that wasn't my fault, only 2 that were, and I abuse the hell out of it. High vibration environments (ECU street tuning), drops, drunken handling, constantly taking it everywhere in a duffle bag... The GS75 is aluminum and rock solid. I broke lid at the hinge by dropping it and it's replaced without even opening the bottom part of the laptop. The power socket is on a cable instead of soldered in, and locked in place with metal. Only annoyance is that I have to take the motherboard out to access 2 of the 4 RAM modules, but anything this thin is probably going to have little things like that, and it's a 1 time upgrade. Obviously didn't survive a 30lb jet ski hatch falling 3ft on it, but what would?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette