Why does the Pennsylvania State Police almost only use K and not KA handhelds?

Chrisrizzy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm always interested in learning about the gear agencies use (as many of you are). I'm aware that only PSP is allowed to use radar in PA and it is supposed to be handheld. From what I have seen through research and browsing this forum, it is always a K band gun. Why? If they're going to be stuck with only handheld guns, wouldn't the PSP want to at least use KA guns like a Talon for better range? Also, I saw a post about someone spotting C/O? Has anyone else encountered that from a unit with moving disabled?

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
State law mandates they use K guns. There are a couple of reports of 33.8 spotted in the Philadelphia area but I haven't seen anything confirmed, for all intents and purposes it's 100% K. They will shoot C/O and I/O K from stationary positions along highways, often well hidden.

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm always interested in learning about the gear agencies use (as many of you are). I'm aware that only PSP is allowed to use radar in PA and it is supposed to be handheld. From what I have seen through research and browsing this forum, it is always a K band gun. Why? If they're going to be stuck with only handheld guns, wouldn't the PSP want to at least use KA guns like a Talon for better range? Also, I saw a post about someone spotting C/O? Has anyone else encountered that from a unit with moving disabled?
From my understanding the handheld restriction you stated is inaccurate. They are restricted to stationary radar only, but the unit itself can still be mounted to the vehicle.

Dave G

Born to lead, At breakneck speed
Beginner User
Reaction score
K band has some advantages over Ka band. Supposingly works better in adverse weather conditions. As for a handheld unit, a LEO can position themselves in many more was than a fixed mount in a patrol car.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
State law mandates they use K guns. There are a couple of reports of 33.8 spotted in the Philadelphia area but I haven't seen anything confirmed, for all intents and purposes it's 100% K. They will shoot C/O and I/O K from stationary positions along highways, often well hidden.
The 33.8's are anywhere near a crossing over the Delaware Driver. The River Authority uses 33.8. I can confirm it

radarrob

Newcumber
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
K band has some advantages over Ka band. Supposingly works better in adverse weather conditions. As for a handheld unit, a LEO can position themselves in many more was than a fixed mount in a patrol car.
K band absolutely does not have advantages over Ka. K has shorter range,Ka goes out further then K and Ka has better locks on targets. Ka has more powerful microwave diodes. When it comes to handhelds the Falcon HR is #1 in affordable and it’s super nice patch microwave antenna design. The Stalker II MDR is my favorite with a very nice Doppler tone and amazing fast locks. The Kustom Talon radar guns are ok but lack Certain features. Another favorite is Mph speed gun Pro 33.8 frequency,Same design as a dash mounted BeeIII but handheld version. A K55 X band unit would defeat all the above units in dense Fog any day.

Reactions: IPA

Chrisrizzy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
From my understanding the handheld restriction you stated is inaccurate. They are restricted to stationary radar only, but the unit itself can still be mounted to the vehicle.
I had read a post here about Kustom Raptors being used. Are they becoming more common?

radarrob

Newcumber
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kustom Raptor and Handheld Falcon HR is what PSP use Exclusively.Stationary only mode. These units are software flashed for stationary only. PSP has had Raptor units for more then 3 years now. Original they used to all have Kustom DS1000’s and they got rid of them as there discontinued and got a nice trade in allowance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chrisrizzy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A handheld is better in the city when you want to shoot radar from a street or what not, but I can't imagine it being advantageous on the highway. In terms of radar, I'm sure an officer would rather sit on the shoulder or median and shoot radar parallel to traffic and just put his car in gear rather than fumble with a gun. Keep in mind, this is for radar only, not lidar.
Post automatically merged:

Kustom Raptor and Handheld Falcon HR is what PSP use Exclusively.Stationary only mode. These units are software flashed for stationary only. PSP has had Raptor units for more then 3 years now. Original they used to all have Kustom DS1000’s and they got rid of them as there discontinued and got a nice trade in allowance.
Don't they use Decatur handhelds as well? As you stated above, the Falcons are good handhelds as they're packed with features. Those Raptors are great, too. Idk why more departments don't use them. They offer great features and performance and take up the least space on a dash. They're not terribly expensive either.

Last edited:

radarrob

Newcumber
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
A handheld is better in the city when you want to shoot radar from a street or what not, but I can't imagine it being advantageous on the highway. In terms of radar, I'm sure an officer would rather sit on the shoulder or median and shoot radar parallel to traffic and just put his car in gear rather than fumble with a gun. Keep in mind, this is for radar only, not lidar.
Post automatically merged:

Don't they use Decatur handhelds as well? As you stated above, the Falcons are good handhelds as they're packed with features. Those Raptors are great, too. Idk why more departments don't use them. They offer great features and performance and take up the least space on a dash. They're not terribly expensive either.
They do use the newer Decatur handhelds. My commute on Pa turnpike I see Raptor and Falcon HR. Do you work for Kustom Signals?

Chrisrizzy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They do use the newer Decatur handhelds. My commute on Pa turnpike I see Raptor and Falcon HR. Do you work for Kustom Signals?
Nah man, I know it sounded like an ad though. I enjoy watching Vortex test different units on YouTube and the Raptor has always stood out to me.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
They don't use Decaturs anymore?

radarrob

Newcumber
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members