R7 FW 1.29 K band (BSM) falses?

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because the other one is all over the place on what people are seeing or what changes they might want. With this, I'd like to speak just to K band falses..

Not sure what's going on but it seems Uniden may have added something to K band falses. I'm seeing next to nothing in BSM falses. In addition, I'm barely seeing any K band alerts. Mind you, I've only got a couple hours of seat time, but assuming K band will still alert to real speed enforcement radar, I think Uniden has figure out how to filter out BSM. Is anyone else seeing the same?

BTW, prior to FW 1.29, I was using my R3 more than the R7 because the R7 was about twice as chatty to BSM. It's gotten so quiet, I'm now scared it's might not pick up LEOs shooting K band..

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting. FWIW, I have not noticed any improvements. If anything I feel like I’ve been muting even more junk K band since the update.

I’m curious, how much driving have you done with the new firmware and on what type of roads?

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm noticing increased k band falses in areas I had lockouts previously, which is likely due to the reduced lockout frequency range where multiple signals are present. (Shopping centers, strip malls, larger grocery and department stores with multiple entrances, etc.).

I'm fine with that, I'd rather have a small lockout frequency range and use more lockouts, versus too wide and covering up too much spectrum.

K band is still working fine for LEOs. I set it at 50% main, 80% rear and had an encounter yesterday that left me satisfied that k band and rear attenuation was working well enough for me. Please excuse this crude sketch, it's 3:45AM and I'm trying to sleep and not being successful.

20200125_034205.jpg

The blue highlighted route and arrows was my direction of travel. The X marks the officer's location blasting C/O k band 24.113. The big fat arrow is where I first detected the officer.

What the map doesn't show is the gigantic Bell Helicopter Textron plant and corporate offices on the corner of this road directly between me and the donut assassin.

The R7 at 50% k band, 80% rear attenuation (RA) picked him up even with the massive complex obstruction, went to full tilt when I turned onto highway 10 and the officer was stopped at the light on 10 and Bellaire. I turned North onto Bellaire and the rear horn kept a lock on him for I'd say at least a 1000 ft with him pointing East (which was 90° off axis to me, he was ready to turn left and head my direction) before it went silent.

I then was stopped at the top of the map on Pipeline Rd. In the left turn lane, and the R7 picked up the officer's K 24.113 signal as the orificer was gaining back ground on my position when he was finally able to turn left onto Bellaire.

I don't know exactly where he was on Bellaire when the rear horn caught him or how close he was to me, but I had a good 20 seconds or so of alerting while I was waiting for the light to change and I was turned and on my way before I caught any visual of him.

So I'm fairly confident of the range from my perspective using RA, but I'd probably run additional sensitivity if I was in I/O country.

I'm going to drive around for a few more days at this setting 50/80 main/rear k band and keep locking out these new falses, and I'll keep watching for BSMs front and rear to see what it's really doing. If I'm very quiet, I'm going to dial back up the sensitivity and find the threshold of tolerance, but intial impressions at these settings are good.

Last edited:

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The K band detection is well and working. I already had C/O and I/O K encounters after the update, so it is all good there. You just need more driving and more traffic to definitely say if the filtering is better/worse or about same. I personally have seen less falses in the last 2 days, but that's just not enough mileage to be sure...

TechnoRave

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The K band detection is well and working. I already had C/O and I/O K encounters after the update, so it is all good there. You just need more driving and more traffic to definitely say if the filtering is better/worse or about same. I personally have seen less falses in the last 2 days, but that's just not enough mileage to be sure...

So whats your percentages for K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm noticing increased k band falses in areas I had lockouts previously, which is likely due to the reduced lockout frequency range where multiple signals are present. (Shopping centers, strip malls, larger grocery and department stores with multiple entrances, etc.).

I'm fine with that, I'd rather have a small lockout frequency range and use more lockouts, versus too wide and covering up too much spectrum.

I noticed at my local grocery store that used to take only 2 lockouts to cover the 6 emitters, it now takes 4 lockouts.

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
So whats your percentages for K?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@TechnoRave, Front K 70%, Rear Bal 80%, so Rear K is 56%. TSF is OFF
Post automatically merged:

I noticed at my local grocery store that used to take only 2 lockouts to cover the 6 emitters, it now takes 4 lockouts.
Similar here: in one specific area I had 2 lockouts, now have 4.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have not noticed any improvements. If anything I feel like I’ve been muting even more junk K band since the update.
Me either. I feel like it's worse as well.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If the lockout frequency spread has gone from an average of 60 MHz down to an average of 20 MHz you all can expect more noise until the new lockouts are generated. (Manually at this point)

For those that haven't taken the time to comprehend this yet; That's normal given the changes that have occured. :) If anyone feels like things have gotten worse, they really haven't and it's generally going to be safer to lock out areas now. :) With this one change; the R7 is a bit more of an enthusiast's device and less of a "give the masses what they think they want even if it's not good for them" device.

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you have MRCD turned on? If so, do you really need to have it on?
Yes and yes.

I’ve had it on before the update as well, however.
If the lockout frequency spread has gone from an average of 60 MHz down to an average of 20 MHz you all can expect more noise until the new lockouts are generated. (Manually at this point)
I’m talking about BSM noise, not about stationary falses. But I was just talking about a few drives. I’m sure things will even out once I have more seat time with the new firmware. The decreased lockout range is certainly a good change, speaking as someone who drives in areas with a lot of legitimate K.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes and yes.

I’ve had it on before the update as well, however.

I do think whatever Uniden had to do to make MRCD detection better does cause some more BSM falses with MRCD on. But I can promise you, 1.29 is much better about that than some of the beta releases between 1.24 and 1.29. And while there were one or two that were better about BSM falsing, they weren't good with MRCD detection. So it seems to be a balancing act. I think 1.29 does a better job of that than any of the interim beta releases.

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It seems I just need more seat time. As for where I'm driving, both trips were down I-95 then back north on US1 between Cecil county and Harford county. It's about 30 miles in each direction and one trip was during rush hour the other just outside of rush hour.

I'm headed to Towson later today. Tomorrow, I'm headed just past York, Pa for a day trip skiing.. I think between these to trips, I should have a much better idea.. Will report back.

Thanks all for your input!!

leanintoit

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I mentioned this previously in the R7 New firmware 1.29 discussion and Issue thread. As this thread is specifically focused on BSM I'll add my latest observations here regarding my wife's 2019 Mazda CX-5 and how my R7 running the new 1.29 firmware is handling it.

The two previous R7 firmwares would continuously see a low power BSM false on the rear antenna no matter what mode it was operating in, filters were turned on, or how low the K band setting was at. I even opened up the R7 case and put aluminum foil over the rear antenna to try and stop this constant BSM false. The foil did help but did not not adequately stop the false. My only option to use the R7 in the CX-5 had been to turn off K band which is hazardous because our local PD does use K band radar.

After flashing the new 1.29 firmware to my R7 the CX-5 BSM false has all but disappeared in all modes in my limited testing with 100% K band settings, K filters off, MRCD on . After driving around for about 15 minutes in highway mode both in and out of town the R7 didn't pick up the CX-5 BSM at all. Testing in the garage this morning with the door closed the R7 only picked up the CX-5 one time briefly on its rear antenna directly after one engine start. This brief BSM false was with the R7 sitting with its front facing the front of the vehicle unobstructed on top a thick blanket in the cargo area with the back hatch opened wide. Taking the R7 out so that its front antenna was pointing at the back bumper of the CX-5 gave no alert with the vehicle running and in drive. This was done with the wheels chocked and the parking brake on.

My conclusion is that Uniden/Autowave have come up with a way to filter CX-5 BSM. Observing the R7 heartbeat indicator when the vehicle is not running gives a very fast heartbeat of about 3 beats per second. After starting the vehicle the heartbeat slows significantly to about one beat per second indicating filtering is occurring. I'm not saying we wont still see CX-5 BSM punch through, as I did see one, but at the very least it looks like it wont be the constant false alert we've seen in the past. From my experience with the new firmware my R7 is now perfectly usable in and around our CX-5 which is a great improvement. Hopefully everyone else has the same or better results.

Thanks to Uniden for all of the great new features and improvements!

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I mentioned this previously in the R7 New firmware 1.29 discussion and Issue thread. As this thread is specifically focused on BSM I'll add my latest observations here regarding my wife's 2019 Mazda CX-5 and how my R7 running the new 1.29 firmware is handling it.

The two previous R7 firmwares would continuously see a low power BSM false on the rear antenna no matter what mode it was operating in, filters were turned on, or how low the K band setting was at. I even opened up the R7 case and put aluminum foil over the rear antenna to try and stop this constant BSM false. The foil did help but did not not adequately stop the false. My only option to use the R7 in the CX-5 had been to turn off K band which is hazardous because our local PD does use K band radar.

After flashing the new 1.29 firmware to my R7 the CX-5 BSM false has all but disappeared in all modes in my limited testing with 100% K band settings, K filters off, MRCD on . After driving around for about 15 minutes in highway mode both in and out of town the R7 didn't pick up the CX-5 BSM at all. Testing in the garage this morning with the door closed the R7 only picked up the CX-5 one time briefly on its rear antenna directly after one engine start. This brief BSM false was with the R7 sitting with its front facing the front of the vehicle unobstructed on top a thick blanket in the cargo area with the back hatch opened wide. Taking the R7 out so that its front antenna was pointing at the back bumper of the CX-5 gave no alert with the vehicle running and in drive. This was done with the wheels chocked and the parking brake on.

My conclusion is that Uniden/Autowave have come up with a way to filter CX-5 BSM. Observing the R7 heartbeat indicator when the vehicle is not running gives a very fast heartbeat of about 3 beats per second. After starting the vehicle the heartbeat slows significantly to about one beat per second indicating filtering is occurring. I'm not saying we wont still see CX-5 BSM punch through, as I did see one, but at the very least it looks like it wont be the constant false alert we've seen in the past. From my experience with the new firmware my R7 is now perfectly usable in and around our CX-5 which is a great improvement. Hopefully everyone else has the same or better results.

Thanks to Uniden for all of the great new features and improvements!

You might be right about the Mazda BSM. In the past, I got a gazillion hits from Mazda BSM and so far I haven't gotten a single one. Today, I had 2 hours of seat time and get this, I only got 3 BSM hits and they were super brief. One was a Honda, another was a Buick. The other 2, I have no idea where they came from.

So far, I'm really liking this firmware. the only things I would like is MRCD to mute with quiet ride and allowing Ka Priority to be above MRCD.

Marty K

Intermediate User
Reaction score
You might be right about the Mazda BSM. In the past, I got a gazillion hits from Mazda BSM and so far I haven't gotten a single one. Today, I had 2 hours of seat time and get this, I only got 3 BSM hits and they were super brief. One was a Honda, another was a Buick. The other 2, I have no idea where they came from.

So far, I'm really liking this firmware. the only things I would like is MRCD to mute with quiet ride and allowing Ka Priority to be above MRCD.
@crabu2, do you recall the frequencies of the Honda and Buick?

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you have MRCD turned on? If so, do you really need to have it on?
Negative

For those that haven't taken the time to comprehend this yet; That's normal given the changes that have occured. :) If anyone feels like things have gotten worse, they really haven't and it's generally going to be safer to lock out areas now. :) With this one change; the R7 is a bit more of an enthusiast's device and less of a "give the masses what they think they want even if it's not good for them" device.
My impression of "worse" is in regards to BSM's and not lockouts. I don't mind the lockout ratio being finer tuned... However, it's the BSM's that seem more persistent, more annoying, and something I would think would have been high up in the priority scale, especially considering auto-lockouts aren't coming until June, if at all.

Last edited:

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Here's my follow up... Yesterday
@crabu2, do you recall the frequencies of the Honda and Buick?

Not really, but I think the buick was 24.18x, the other I remember was 24.16x. What was odd about the buick was that it bounced from 24.08x and 24.18x. I thought I read it wrong.

Went skiing today up to Lewisberry, which is just north of York, Pa. Total seat time today was 3.5 hours.. Get this, I only got 2 confirmed BSM falses and one was a buick again. This time it was 24.17x. The other was super brief at 24.16x and I have no idea what vehicle it came from.

As for MRCD, as I was coming to the RLC that runs it, No joke, I pick it up close to a 1/2 mile from it. It latched for about 3 seconds then silent, until I was about 800ft from it. I couldn't believe it.

I did pick up some K and Ka band speed signs I'm familiar with in Pa and the range was as I remember. Picked up a Hazard Co Sheriff running 33.7xx and it had plenty of range too.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been running MRCD on even though I have none here, just to see how useable the R7 would be if enabled during an Alberta trip.
Overall BSMs are down.
I still get some Honda 24.168 and now some 24.080 which I never noticed before update and MRCD off.
I will run some more, then try a week with MRCD off to compare apples to apples.
But so far I'm tempted to increase K Adv to 50% from 40% as it has been very quiet other than needing to lockout a few more door openers due to the narrower range lockouts.
I plan to go set up my long distance K Band test again and compare the settings to see if anything was tweeked.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Many GM vehicles broadcast two signals such as 24.175± and 24.075±. (Its the basis for a BSM filter that JBV1 has had for roughly a year now. If both signals are present in the proper proportions, it mutes.)

Some Hondas seem to be migrating to 24.168± and a few Odyssey Vans are putting out 24.180±.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy