Manufacturer
Reaction score

jakevsnake

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The thing feature I would love to see is indicating which radar gun you are detecting. We get that feature from ALP with Lidar guns and having that for a RD would be a great tool. Being able to show frequency is nice, but if Theia works as advertised it would just be a nice to have feature compared to actually identifying the actual gun itself. You do realize if you pull this off you will effectively make EVERY other detector on the market obsolete? So long as the price is not insane, this will be a must have for anyone who is serious about RD's.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I dont use voice any longer on my detector. I started with voice, then just frequency, and now just the tones. If I’m curious I look up at the display. Generally, I find the voice gets in the way of the ramp. It would be cool though if that were an option for the users that do like to hear speaking and for the users that record dashcam video and share.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great videos! Looking forward to following along.

Congrats to team Radenso on all their development and upcoming release!

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Being able to show frequency is nice, but if Theia works as advertised it would just be a nice to have feature compared to actually identifying the actual gun itself.

I believe that was mentioned early on as a probability. (Perhaps in the introductory video at SEMA)

For those of us that identify the likelihood of legitimate signals by frequency this concept will be a little bit of a change. For example, 34.7 and 35.5 (regardless of brand of gun) are legitimate in almost every instance while currently 33.8 is an uncertainty. With K-band currently, frequency is less of an indicator but when I see a 24.221 signal for example, I'm usually not too worried about that one. :)

I would like to have both gun ID and frequency at first. It would be a nice transition. Whether I ever get over wanting the frequency information or not is still to be seen.

As for audio alerts, I do currently have those announcing through my car's audio along with auto-ducking the music but I let my detector do the beeping. In that way, perhaps the issue of audible information doesn't interfere with the ramp. I've not noticed that issue that I can think of.

gapi

Slippery Rabbit
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I want to see the new tech of course but no anticlimactic, not loud enough at full volume, and poor ramp-up like other brands. I wait.

alloy00

vMax
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Haha, we are doing Friday releases right now!

It's Friday in places like Beijing #justsayin :)

Hope it's going well in Ohio where I acknowledge it's still 10 more hours until tomorrow - looking forward to it :)

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
It's Friday in places like Beijing #justsayin :)

Hope it's going well in Ohio where I acknowledge it's still 10 more hours until tomorrow - looking forward to it :)

Subscribe to our YouTube channel and enable notifications so that way you'll get a notification immediately when it is uploaded

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to keep it in the forefront, all of us in the 12v hardwired crowd (probably most enthusiasts) are going to need a usb-c to 12v hard wire cord (12-15 ft) and to my knowledge, none exist (nor can they be easily slapped together). Hope the Radenso team will either work on one, or arrange with a third party vendor to sell one once Theia finally comes to market so that the two can be purchased together.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to keep it in the forefront, all of us in the 12v hardwired crowd (probably most enthusiasts) are going to need a usb-c to 12v hard wire cord (12-15 ft) and to my knowledge, none exist (nor can they be easily slapped together). Hope the Radenso team will either work on one, or arrange with a third party vendor to sell one once Theia finally comes to market so that the two can be purchased together.

Having been spoiled by the complete kit that is included with every V1
(Suction cup & visor mounts, direct-wire & cigarette lighter power, straight & coiled cords, hook-and-loop tape, extra suction cups, etc.)
I'd hope that the power supply for a 12v install would be included.

With the expected expense of Theia, having a cord hanging down (coiled or not) would be an ugly thing to see. It's so much easier these days to run a cable properly to the dash area than it used to be. If people do it right the first time, it will pay off. :)

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
all of us in the 12v hardwired crowd (probably most enthusiasts) are going to need a usb-c to 12v hard wire cord (12-15 ft)
I'd hope that the power supply for a 12v install would be included.
Ok, a couple things. First, in the most recent video Jon pointed out that existing CAT3 (“RJ11”) setups aren’t up to the task of supplying sufficient current for Theia. They’re spec’ing it to use up to 3A (presumably at 5V), and most “phone cord” is going to be too small to safely and reliably handle the current. For reference, radar detectors with RJ11 power generally use only up about 0.5A (at 12V) when all lit up and alerting.

Second, you can’t plug 12V directly into 5V. Instead it needs a step-down buck converter. That’s certainly doable if they wanted to integrate it into a special dongle/cord, but the buck converter itself is not 100% efficient, meaning the current draw from the 12V source would be even higher. That just makes the insufficient wiring problem worse.

The point is, if you plan to run Theia, and you have a phone cord style hardwire today, plan to replace it. I don’t know if they’re going to include a hardwire in the box (would be a good idea since so many 5V converters available today that you got off Amazon or whatever are very low quality), but if not you have numerous options. And you can use your existing phone cord to fish the new cable through, too! Or leave both in place if you really think you’re not sure and you might go back to your old detector.

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
if you plan to run Theia, and you have a phone cord style hardwire today, plan to replace it * * *

Yes . . . Just want to be sure there will be something available to replace it when that time comes.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is perfect for taking a 12V socket like the one they will supply (or others). Otherwise we’ll see.

NOCO GC018 12-Volt Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Battery Terminals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8WLW2Y/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20
That is a start but still need that 12-15 foot non-coiled line terminating in a usb-c to plug into it and converting the voltage.
Just wanted to be sure they keep thinking about it as they progress and especially since existing mirror taps will no longer be one of the options.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok, a couple things. First, in the most recent video Jon pointed out that existing CAT3 (“RJ11”) setups aren’t up to the task of supplying sufficient current for Theia. They’re spec’ing it to use up to 3A (presumably at 5V), and most “phone cord” is going to be too small to safely and reliably handle the current. For reference, radar detectors with RJ11 power generally use only up about 0.5A (at 12V) when all lit up and alerting.

Second, you can’t plug 12V directly into 5V. Instead it needs a step-down buck converter. That’s certainly doable if they wanted to integrate it into a special dongle/cord, but the buck converter itself is not 100% efficient, meaning the current draw from the 12V source would be even higher. That just makes the insufficient wiring problem worse.

The point is, if you plan to run Theia, and you have a phone cord style hardwire today, plan to replace it. I don’t know if they’re going to include a hardwire in the box (would be a good idea since so many 5V converters available today that you got off Amazon or whatever are very low quality), but if not you have numerous options. And you can use your existing phone cord to fish the new cable through, too! Or leave both in place if you really think you’re not sure and you might go back to your old detector.

I'm not sure if you were misundstanding one of us or if this post was meant to be simply informational. :)
I didn't get the impression that @poolmon was talking about using CAT-3 and I wasn't talking about that either.

I've started another thread on this at: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/96220/
and Jon has already given us further relevant info in that thread.

What many of us might have feared is that like a lot of consumer electronics these days, we'd get a Theia and a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box.
In that scenario, It would be up to many customers to work out how to reliably power Theia without using a bunch of adapters such as the mess of having;
maybe a USB-C to USB-A adapter connected to a
USB-A to cigarette lighter adapter
and then finally a cigarette lighter outlet to a fuse tap. :p

As it is, Jon has said that they are planning on a hardwire-style 12v converter on one end and a USB-C on the other. I wonder what you have to do if you want data passed through that though?

Last edited:

BluemarblePA

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sorry to change topics from USB-c, but I was wondering if there is any plan for see less integration with dashcam as well.

emeres

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
How much do you think Theia might cost? I'm thinking $799 at the lowest price.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glockman03