Printed Adjustable Rx Holders [Prototype]

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I needed some holders for the rear bumper of my truck and after initially planning on printing out some fixed mounts, I decided to have a go at designing some adjustable ones. I thought they'd be particularly cool for those that need weird sensor angles, setups that are fussy and in need of tweaking in, or those that just don't want to worry about sticking fixed holders down at the precise level and rotation.

Here's a quick video:

I'll test these for a while to make sure they function really well and make modifications if I need to before making anything widely available.

ETA: Here is a video of the grill-style prototype.

I'm adding a link to DL from CGI Trader. I'm setting a $25 price for the download of either the bumper mount or the grill mount.....................but...........If, and only if, you are an intermediate or advanced member here, click the "offer price" and PM me here so I know it's you. You can put in any price you'd like or even 0 if it lets you but I only ask that you think about sending me a donation for the time I've put into this by making some offer. Optional, but greatly appreciated.

Since I've been getting a few PM's about it, yes, if you are an intermediate or advanced member here and would like to directly send me a donation instead of giving CGTrader their 30% cut, you can PM me your email and I'll send you the models directly, bypassing the middle man. Otherwise, see below.

The usage license here is that you can download the files and print as many as you want for your own PERSONAL use.

3rd Party Services
If you'd like to offer your services to print these off for users yourself, contact me and I will "license" you to do so.

After that, here are the steps:

1. Whomever wants these goes to the link and downloads the file regardless of who's going to be printing them. The act of downloading that file is granting them license for personal use.

2. If they are an intermediate or advanced member here, they make an offer at CGTrader instead of paying the list price, and although I'd appreciate donations, that offer can be zero. I just need them to PM me here for proof of elevated access so that I can accept the offer.

3. They download the files.

4. They send the file or other proof of download from CGTrader to the person offering the print service.

5. The person offering the print service may charge what they feel is necessary for their time and material.

This way those offering the print service don't have to worry about sending me squat and only deal with the person directly. All I ask is that proof is obtained that they downloaded it from CGTrader, that's it.

I have no control over the print quality of parts printed by others so any problems with that will be between the requester and the person doing the printing.

Assembly Tutorial

NOTE: To assemble the final product you will need additional items:

The pilot holes for the pins and set screws are in the print file but have to be finished out to a little over 5mm to allow for slip fit of the lock pins and I've found that a 13/64" reamer works best for the job. A drill will also work but the reamer is nicer to work with. You can do this by hand but it's much easier with any power drill.....just don't poke your eye out!

You will also need a M6 X 1.0 tap to tap the holes for the set screws. You don't need to tap them all the way through the hole, just deep enough that you can tighten the lockpin assembly with the set screw.

Finally, you will need M6X1.0X10mm set screws. I highly recommend 300 series stainless steel, or food grade stainless as they will not rust. You will need 2 if using two lock pins per holder or 1 if only using one lock pin.

TMG Version Thread: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/98358/

Last edited:

GoWFO

If you have to go... GoWFO!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That Looks Freakin Awesome! Nice Work!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great idea!

Would it make sense to have the set screw on the front so it's more easily accessible?

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Great idea!

Would it make sense to have the set screw on the front so it's more easily accessible?

I agree they'd be more accessible but due to size and design constraints, I opted for the side. I need that extra material to get the mechanism in there. I also wanted to make them as small as possible and thought it would look nice if the set screw was unseen from the front. For reference, the overall height is just under 31.5mm and the base itself has a footprint of 50x30mm

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
That is freaking awesome. Nice job.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I use a ProClip in my car for an iPad and before that had one for my iPhone. The main feature is being able to install without any damage to the car. If you made these to fit vehicles in the spots they belong and made them adjustable like you have for fine tuning that would be awesome. Just snap/glue them into the right spot and done. I would buy a set even before I have sensors to put in them. I dont think it would cover the cost in reality but they make me day dream.

Jason Diaz

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Nice work. I wonder if someone made a design of just 2 pieces top and bottom, one concave and one convex with 'micro' steps for adjustment. You could glue them together at the correct angle. Still would only be in one plane of adjustment though.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That’s fantastic! Great stuff.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is really a fantastic concept. We always wondered why universal mounts were not available, well they may be now. Great work.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I needed some holders for the rear bumper of my truck and after initially planning on printing out some fixed mounts, I decided to have a go at designing some adjustable ones. I thought they'd be particularly cool for those that need weird sensor angles, setups that are fussy and in need of tweaking in, or those that just don't want to worry about sticking fixed holders down at the precise level and rotation.

Here's a quick video:

I'll test these for a while to make sure they function really well and make modifications if I need to before making anything widely available.

this is awsome

i have mine angled for the poliscan for near side and off side threats ... If i had these my install would a been a less time taking lot easier and more enjoyable

Last edited:

jmccam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That is freaking awesome and would be great for my wife's Audi S5 that I need to install. I need two right now! ;)

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I have yet to mount them to my truck though I've already revised the mounts in the video to allow for a bit more angle just because I could. I found that I could make that change because I'm also working on a design for adjustable grill mounted brackets based on the same concept that will barely take more space than standard metal brackets.

I'll keep you guys updated on how everything works out and may have the new design to show soon.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
So will it get to the point the mount is installed and the head can be removed and put back? If so, that would be nice since the mount would be the thing to make sure stays aligned. The head could go away for a bit for various reasons like being lazy and using a drive thru wash or extended parking in places you don't trust. Install the mount with magnets inside the cutout area that hold the sensors in place allowing them to be sturdy yet removable.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
just thinking outside the box

is it possible to print some badges of vehicle makes

reason i ask i have a weak point on my rear tail gate ford ranger XLT unless i stick a head on show

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinaMinyard