FML.... Redlight camera

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes... Red light cameras suck when it's icy.
Slid right through an intersection today (pretty much any who...)...
Now I know in the future that even if I slide halfway into the intersection, stop, stay there, become the subject of somebody's online dashcam vid. Apparently they only mail you the ticket if you keep going after sliding halfway into the intersection.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So you called in to ask about your situation, and they specifically told you that you didn't need to worry about it?

It seems to me that if one were to slide into the intersection, if traffic has stopped for you and it is safe to do so, that it would be wise to continue onward and just exit the intersection. This way you're not blocking the intersection and making it dangerous for someone else who could come along and slide into you. It just seems to be at odds with what you've learned from your experience here, about their application of the red light photo enforcement.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So you called in to ask about your situation, and they specifically told you that you didn't need to worry about it?

It seems to me that if one were to slide into the intersection, if traffic has stopped for you and it is safe to do so, that it would be wise to continue onward and just exit the intersection. This way you're not blocking the intersection and making it dangerous for someone else who could come along and slide into you. It just seems to be at odds with what you've learned from your experience here, about their application of the red light photo enforcement.
No.
What I am going off of is this quote from city Q&A regarding red light cameras.
"What if I stop part way into the intersection?
If you do not proceed through the entire intersection on a red light you will not receive an offence notice for a red light violation."

I thought the same as you, that it is certainly safer to proceed through the intersection. Apparently it is significantly cheaper to stay put however, to be precise, $388 Cad cheaper to endanger your safety and stay in the intersection until its green again.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No.
What I am going off of is this quote from city Q&A regarding red light cameras.
"What if I stop part way into the intersection?
If you do not proceed through the entire intersection on a red light you will not receive an offence notice for a red light violation."

I thought the same as you, that it is certainly safer to proceed through the intersection. Apparently it is significantly cheaper to stay put however, to be precise, $388 Cad cheaper to endanger your safety and stay in the intersection until its green again.
It seems to me that this is one of those things that may have to be challenged in court or brought up in a lawsuit by a recipient of such a citation under such circumstances; one of those laws or policies where you look at it and think "this clearly doesn't cover this exception". While I hope nobody slides through an intersection, I do hope that if someone ever receives a citation for this, that they would challenge it, and that the circumstances would show it was (hopefully) the right and safe thing to do, to clear the intersection and leave harms way.

Sometimes what a written law says can miss the mark from what the law intendended.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It seems to me that this is one of those things that may have to be challenged in court or brought up in a lawsuit by a recipient of such a citation under such circumstances; one of those laws or policies where you look at it and think "this clearly doesn't cover this exception". While I hope nobody slides through an intersection, I do hope that if someone ever receives a citation for this, that they would challenge it, and that the circumstances would show it was (hopefully) the right and safe thing to do, to clear the intersection and leave harms way.

Sometimes what a written law says can miss the mark from what the law intendended.
Yes indeed.

After reviewing my dashcam footage, boy, I'm shaking my head a bit.

This all happened as I was making a right turn out of a parking lot and almost directly into the intersection with the red light camera.

As there was quite a bit of traffic at the time, I had to accelerate quite quickly in order to merge in appropriately.

Now, as I was accelerating and merging into traffic, right at that moment the light goes orange. I was maybe 100 yards from the light when I made the right turn (if not less).

Idk if I glanced at my radio or whatnot, but when I glanced back up at the light, there is an audible "oh Shit" combined with obvious hard braking just before I cross the stop line. At which point my car slides halfway into the intersection.

So I figure I am for Sure getting a ticket. And it'll be $388. Fml.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry.

I know I'm stretching this... but perhaps some traffic lawyer may know a way to help you out? Maybe there is some superseding provincial law that states that traffic signals should allow enough time for a yellow light duration for traffic to reasonably and safely clear the intersection; that under poor weather conditions, the yellow light time given was not reasonable to allow for safely clearing the intersection; and that you had no way to know that by entering the roadway then and there, that the light would be turning yellow?

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really.

My daughter had the same challenge in an Alberta court room last week.

It was icy. She tried to stop. She was only in the intersection for 3/10ths of a second. Was doing 47 km/h on a road that’s posted 60 kms/h when she was flashed.

The judge couldn’t dismiss the ticket, but didn’t agree with the 3/10ths.

Your still responsible to drive according to the road and weather conditions.

Because of the 3/10ths, the judge reduced it from $380 to $230 and gave her 3 extra months to pay it.

Another girl had the same issue and was in the intersection for 2 seconds. Same intersection actually on the same day. She did not get a break on the ticket.

Pretty hard to fight the RLC tickets when the photo is all the evidence they need. It comes down to driving for the conditions. That’s how they look at it.

You can try and fight it, but the odds are very slim that you’ll be successful. From what my daughter said, she sat through 70 cases before hers. 95% were RLC offences. She said none had gotten a break

Last edited:

Icewolf

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Over here in ontario, I had gotten one of those in the past, I fought it , and because I was stuck halfway in traffic, I sent it to court and it got thrown out because for the same reason I didn't actually "run the red light" didn't go THROUGH the intersection. If you ever get caught again, stop and reverse backwards incase you stop to far forward.

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What @Heywood said is the default answer from LEOs and judges.
"You must drive according to the conditions and remain in control at all times"
Works out nice for them when roads are fine until hitting that polished up intersection everyone is hammering the brakes for the RLC, creating an ice rink.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What @Heywood said is the default answer from LEOs and judges.
"You must drive according to the conditions and remain in control at all times"
Works out nice for them when roads are fine until hitting that polished up intersection everyone is hammering the brakes for the RLC, creating an ice rink.
Never said it was fair....lol.

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In my state the law is if you enter an intersection while the light is yellow and there is a clear path to exit, you have the legal right of way to safely exit the intersection under the red light. It’s stupid that what you did is legal here and you get a ticket where you live.

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my state the law is if you enter an intersection while the light is yellow and there is a clear path to exit, you have the legal right of way to safely exit the intersection under the red light. It’s stupid that what you did is legal here and you get a ticket where you live.
I believe the Canadian rules are also applied in some places in the US. Especially if the lights turn green as soon as the other direction turns red. Other countries are similar to Canada.

All the cameras where I am care about is was the light red before you crossed the line.

eric15178

If you ain't 1st you're last-Ricky Bobby
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not really.

My daughter had the same challenge in an Alberta court room last week.

It was icy. She tried to stop. She was only in the intersection for 3/10ths of a second. Was doing 47 km/h on a road that’s posted 60 kms/h when she was flashed.

The judge couldn’t dismiss the ticket, but didn’t agree with the 3/10ths.

Your still responsible to drive according to the road and weather conditions.

Because of the 3/10ths, the judge reduced it from $380 to $230 and gave her 3 extra months to pay it.

Another girl had the same issue and was in the intersection for 2 seconds. Same intersection actually on the same day. She did not get a break on the ticket.

Pretty hard to fight the RLC tickets when the photo is all the evidence they need. It comes down to driving for the conditions. That’s how they look at it.

You can try and fight it, but the odds are very slim that you’ll be successful. From what my daughter said, she sat through 70 cases before hers. 95% were RLC offences. She said none had gotten a break
That's what's so bogus about red light cams/tickets. Driving for conditions- sometimes the way they say to drive for conditions would be going 5mph all the time.

I love it when it's slippery and there's a line of cars going through town on green then the yellow comes and the 1st guy nails the breaks and everyone else has to try not tocream him, like just go through. Happy we don't have them here. Not like i run reds but when it flashes yellowand you can't stop just go through. Those tickets have nothing to do with safety

Just had a what should be 4 hour or so drive up to the u p take about 6 there and back. Don't get me wrong i like to cruise when the roads are decent but take it easy when they're icy or snowy. But when one lanes better and the other isnt drivable and you have someone going excessively slow with everyone on everyones bumper that will cause an accident. One person slips and the whole lines done. And you cant pass cuz then they speed up and make you go even faster in the shit lane.
And the people that just ride your bumper when the roads are icy. I'll leave a good gap between me and whoevers in front so if something happens i got room, so really theyre holding me back.
So if i have to brake or slip the guy behind me will hit me. Like unless you pass me and the rest of the line, you'll get there a thousandth of a second faster if you're 2 feet or 30 feet back. llike either pass or move back a few feet. People just need some common sense and sense of awareness

Last edited:

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sue the city...

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of municipalities around me are getting them uninstalled because they are controversial, and not doing what they were advertising which was for safety.

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Had this happen to a co-worker years ago in snow/ice conditions and she had to maneuver to avoid being part of an accident (accident was clearly seen in the red light camera photo included with the ticket) and got hit with the red light camera. She just paid the ticket because she didn't feel like fighting it due to the inconvenience :(

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Had this happen to a co-worker years ago in snow/ice conditions and she had to maneuver to avoid being part of an accident (accident was clearly seen in the red light camera photo included with the ticket) and got hit with the red light camera. She just paid the ticket because she didn't feel like fighting it due to the inconvenience :(
In retrospect, its definitely my fault I ended up getting caught here....but the circumstances make it a hard pill to swallow.

My issue is that I was making a right-turn out of a parking lot, almost directly into the intersection with the redlight camera.

There was reasonably thick traffic, so I had to get up to speed quickly to merge in. Literally just as I am merging into the lane at speed, the light changes to orange. Hit the brakes at the stop line and end up sliding into the intersection.

Wish I had known I could have popped a right turn and got off without any kind of possibility of getting a ticket.

I'm hoping they review the video and see that I did brake hard and try to stop, and choose not to issue a ticket for that reason.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sightline