I was depending on Waze this past Saturday ...

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It was mid-afternoon on Saturday in southeast Florida and I'm cruising along in the right lane of the express superslam at my normal highway speed of 72-75mph
(speed limit 70 though I've gone 72-75 on hwy since getting my license in the idiotic 55mph days).

I had my V1 mirror-tapped into my prior car, a Ford Fiesta. This new car, a Focus ST, doesn't have an autodimming mirror :colbert: and I haven't made time to hardwire lol.

So I've been using Waze.

My challenge this warm, sunny day was that the roads were fairly empty at the time I was cruising home. This concerned me in terms of people available to mark the location of police cars.

That concern was triggered by the approach of a sweet looking Porsche in my rear view mirror.

It was in the left lane, a beautiful grey color.

Normally I let faster cars go on, essentially ignoring them. But when it is a higher end sports car, especially one rising into exotic car territory ....

I estimated he was moving along at 100-110mph. I've observed this to be typical behavior from Porsches.

When he got within a car length I downshifted into 4th to catch up.

When I took my car to Sebring Raceway I found that 4th would rev out around 114ish mph. I was near redline as I kept pace with the Porsche, which confirmed my initial speed estimate.

I upshifted into 5th and glanced, yet again, at Waze lol. Still clear.

Perhaps the Porsche was also running Waze and had noticed the same thing, perhaps they didn't like someone pacing them ... because they sped up.

I hit the gas to keep pace. I wasn't trying to overtake or race, just keeping the pace, checking the car out ... what can I say :D

The Porsche kept going, I kept going, now into 6th gear.

I glanced at the speedo, the fastest I've gone so far in this car, and at Waze, still clear.

He held the new speed, me just pacing along.

We caught up to two vehicles, in the standard south Florida formation, one on the right and one in the left but pacing behind lol, yeah, pretty typical.

We could see them from afar so no brakes, just let off the gas and coast.

I check Waze again, still clear, which adds to my concern. It's a beautiful day and hardly any cars on the road.

I let the Porsche go, vigilant that there may be an unreported cop up ahead 'somewhere', as we were approaching two spots where I've observed them before.

PART TWO

The Porsche goes onward and I notice that it continues on the express lane. This portion of the route though is only a single lane.

Hmmm.

Waze is STILL clear. So I bump up my speed. I'm going the same way, so ... why not :drinking:

Without going crazy on speed, plus the fact there is several miles of single lane ahead, I catch up to the Porsche and there we are, in-line, tooling along behind about four other cars.

There is another police-favorite at the end of the single lane route when it opens up again into two lanes. Waze shows it as clear.

You might think 'Hmmm....'

But no, this lane eventually joins the other lane which comes from the right and behind. Have to be cautious cutting into that right lane if you're going to get crazy on passing.

Typically though there is another car in that right lane eliminating the option anyway lol.

We clear the gaggle and the Porsche gets on it again. Yep, I keep pace. Not in acceleration, the Porsche has twice the horsepower, but mostly keep pace and catch up.

This time there was a Tesla Model 3 in the gaggle. I'll see him later.

This portion of the express lanes is 'hilly'. I've never seen police on the little bit of shoulder on the left but this portion of the route is now separated only by those plastic poles. On the other side of the poles is four lanes of highway with many interchanges. In those lanes I've often seen police cruising along.

Waze STILL shows clear. This is where my V1 often comes into play, catching an alert from a moving patrol car.

Since I don't have my V1 installed I let the Porsche go and I go back to my usual cruise speed.

This then is when the Tesla comes along. And, you guessed, I just let him go lol. I know they're fast but they're not a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo ...

Owing to the fact that it's a nice day and there are few cars on the road I decide to get off the express at a specific point up ahead.

I see the Porsche take that same off.

Hmmm. Now he'll be stuck in traffic, able to maneuver, but not get on the gas full bore.

I slot in behind him this time. We quickly get to the interchange and this is where he went right and I went left.
For a brief moment I considered following, I've done weird stuff like that before, but I had some fun and continued home. :unamusedpopcorn:

Keep your eye on that Waze.

Last edited:

Got Jeep

Strange days have found us
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You are playing with Fire my friend ! ;)
I personally wouldn't be entering triples without at least a RD.
Get that thing hooked up already !

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
PART THREE
@danpass installs a dash cam so the rest of the action-starved users of RDF can enjoy his antics as well. ;)

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey Dan! It's been a while since you posted. :)

I don't trust Waze itself to show LEO activity. I've experienced many times (including last Saturday) that Waze has random days/hours where it doesn't show alerts that exist in the data stream.

JBV1 in offline mode is a real benefit here. :)

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
PART THREE
@danpass installs a dash cam so the rest of the action-starved users of RDF can enjoy his antics as well. ;)
Unfortunately it gets worse. I have this installed (for track days) and I’ve just left it there with the cables and often thrown on the GoPro ....

A2DF66E4-75A1-4BB1-A212-599F3732892E.jpeg

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It was mid-afternoon on Saturday in southeast Florida and I'm cruising along in the right lane of the express superslam at my normal highway speed of 72-75mph
(speed limit 70 though I've gone 72-75 on hwy since getting my license in the idiotic 55mph days).

I had my V1 mirror-tapped into my prior car, a Ford Fiesta. This new car, a Focus ST, doesn't have an autodimming mirror :colbert: and I haven't made time to hardwire lol.

So I've been using Waze.

My challenge this warm, sunny day was that the roads were fairly empty at the time I was cruising home. This concerned me in terms of people available to mark the location of police cars.

That concern was triggered by the approach of a sweet looking Porsche in my rear view mirror.

It was in the left lane, a beautiful grey color.

Normally I let faster cars go on, essentially ignoring them. But when it is a higher end sports car, especially one rising into exotic car territory ....

I estimated he was moving along at 100-110mph. I've observed this to be typical behavior from Porsches.

When he got within a car length I downshifted into 4th to catch up.

When I took my car to Sebring Raceway I found that 4th would rev out around 114ish mph. I was near redline as I kept pace with the Porsche, which confirmed my initial speed estimate.

I upshifted into 5th and glanced, yet again, at Waze lol. Still clear.

Perhaps the Porsche was also running Waze and had noticed the same thing, perhaps they didn't like someone pacing them ... because they sped up.

I hit the gas to keep pace. I wasn't trying to overtake or race, just keeping the pace, checking the car out ... what can I say :D

The Porsche kept going, I kept going, now into 6th gear.

I glanced at the speedo, the fastest I've gone so far in this car, and at Waze, still clear.

He held the new speed, me just pacing along.

We caught up to two vehicles, in the standard south Florida formation, one on the right and one in the left but pacing behind lol, yeah, pretty typical.

We could see them from afar so no brakes, just let off the gas and coast.

I check Waze again, still clear, which adds to my concern. It's a beautiful day and hardly any cars on the road.

I let the Porsche go, vigilant that there may be an unreported cop up ahead 'somewhere', as we were approaching two spots where I've observed them before.

PART TWO

The Porsche goes onward and I notice that it continues on the express lane. This portion of the route though is only a single lane.

Hmmm.

Waze is STILL clear. So I bump up my speed. I'm going the same way, so ... why not :drinking:

Without going crazy on speed, plus the fact there is several miles of single lane ahead, I catch up to the Porsche and there we are, in-line, tooling along behind about four other cars.

There is another police-favorite at the end of the single lane route when it opens up again into two lanes. Waze shows it as clear.

You might think 'Hmmm....'

But no, this lane eventually joins the other lane which comes from the right and behind. Have to be cautious cutting into that right lane if you're going to get crazy on passing.

Typically though there is another car in that right lane eliminating the option anyway lol.

We clear the gaggle and the Porsche gets on it again. Yep, I keep pace. Not in acceleration, the Porsche has twice the horsepower, but mostly keep pace and catch up.

This time there was a Tesla Model 3 in the gaggle. I'll see him later.

This portion of the express lanes is 'hilly'. I've never seen police on the little bit of shoulder on the left but this portion of the route is now separated only by those plastic poles. On the other side of the poles is four lanes of highway with many interchanges. In those lanes I've often seen police cruising along.

Waze STILL shows clear. This is where my V1 often comes into play, catching an alert from a moving patrol car.

Since I don't have my V1 installed I let the Porsche go and I go back to my usual cruise speed.

This then is when the Tesla comes along. And, you guessed, I just let him go lol. I know they're fast but they're not a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo ...

Owing to the fact that it's a nice day and there are few cars on the road I decide to get off the express at a specific point up ahead.

I see the Porsche take that same off.

Hmmm. Now he'll be stuck in traffic, able to maneuver, but not get on the gas full bore.

I slot in behind him this time. We quickly get to the interchange and this is where he went right and I went left.
For a brief moment I considered following, I've done weird stuff like that before, but I had some fun and continued home. :unamusedpopcorn:

Keep your eye on that Waze.

Eh , owing a Raven S Dual Motor Performance, I currently fear NO Ferrari, Porsche nor Lambo, particularly in acceleration from a dig or roll-on. The ONLY car that gives me pause would be Brooks in his 720S and he drives in your area (SE FL). ........

Once we start seeing Plaid in Summer 2020, it'll be game over for most of the traditional marques.............Even worse when Gen 2 Roadster hits the street.

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
well, knowing nothing about Tesla's I had to look it up - pretty incredible
Seriously, from a digg, I fear no car except perhaps Brooks' McLaren 720S or a P1 or 918 Spyder. All others are fair game including a 991 or 992 TT S and even the Taycan. My neighbors GT 3 RS got dusted to 130 by the Raven. Even he, who is physically about 60 lbs lighter than I was in shock. Oh, and he was making a whole lot of noise to try and beat me.

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Seriously, from a digg, I fear no car except perhaps Brooks' McLaren 720S or a P1 or 918 Spyder. All others are fair game including a 991 or 992 TT S and even the Taycan. My neighbors GT 3 RS got dusted to 130 by the Raven. Even he, who is physically about 60 lbs lighter than I was in shock. Oh, and he was making a whole lot of noise to try and beat me.
Just to side track things for a post or 2. Speaking of power ect. I recently found this - https://www.electricgt.com/

No idea on cost vs bang for buck, or realistically there is no bang in electric so we'll say buzz for buck. I like it, but no real whole package of info including battery's for whatever you drop it in. Great replacement for someone with a blown motor who wants to go down the EV path. Wonder how this goes against Tesla ect?
I stopped using Waze the moment I found out it's only alerting to the side of the road you're driving on. Since cameras shoot both ways where I am, it's only 50% effective.

Last edited:

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great read Dan, enjoyed it and I know how those drives are... fun

Do you have the regular cig lighter power adapter for the V1?? I would at least have that plugged into to keep using it. The guys on the forum here usually get tickets from silly mistakes and the times they don't run countermeasures. I've almost been burned by C/O Ka from a trooper as me and a few other BMWs were heading to a car meet. I had the volume turned down on the v1....... or one day I left my front bumper protector on the car blocking my ALPs... :spazface:

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I do seem to have all the equipment from the V1 package itself.

Just undecided on the best way to tap power.

Do I run a million foot cable around the windshield under the trim and into the fusebox? Which fuse do I tap into? How do I tap into it?

Do I run wire from the overhead lamp, between the roof and the headliner, forward to the mirror? Which overhead circuit do I tap into? Which one is on only when the car is on? Which one is always on? (seems like all circuits are always on)

hmmmmmmmmmmm ......

Last edited:

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Running a cable around the windshield is usually pretty easy and often you don't have to take off panels. (Maybe 1 or 2)

If you have side curtain airbags, it's best to stay on the windshield side of the A-pillar. (Don't cross the airbag's path in case it were to be deployed later.)

Most of the time you can work the cable into the crevices with your fingers or a dull plastic tool. (The back of a cheap fast food knife for example.)
Headliners are almost always loose across the top front area.

So, run the cable across the headliner, down the a-pillar, into or around the dash area, and the cables done. 7 to 8 feet in most installs.

Find one of your fuses that turns off with the car, use a fuse tap device, attach that to the positive and negative goes to a nearby screw or bolt that's attached to the body.

It can be more convoluted than that of course, but it usually isn't. :)

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just undecided
I've always preferred running a RD above my mirror. Tapping the mirror power is an option but I've like running the cord along the headliner down to the fuse box and tapping there with a fuse tap. Easy enough to do and it has it's own fuse.
Post automatically merged:

lol.... I type too slow

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you need a hand finding a spot to tap, take a photo of the fuse box lid or wherever the fuse box diagram is and post it here.
Should find some grounding points somewhere around the fuse box too. They're usually never far away. Careful using a tap-a-fuse. Reason being they can be bulky in some spots and sometimes prevent the fuse box lid clipping on properly, but most cars this shouldn't be an issue, depending where you tap as well. Add a fuse was too bulky for me, so I went old school and used the old glass fuse cylinder style and a spade type crimp connector, plugged into the fuse port.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal