Lawyer recommendation for speeding ticket in Brooklyn, NY

yul711

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My daughter is in med school, she has 2+ hrs one way commute to her hospital. She uses no CMs and today early in the morning she was busted for 78mph in 50mph PSL on dark and empty Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn. Cop did not reveal his speed measuring method. This was her first ever traffic violation and I am not sure if she has completed defensive driving course recently. Because she was so much over the PSL I believe she should plead not guilty and retain an attorney. What do you think she may be looking at it terms of cost/fines/punishment? I am looking for recommendations/advice and speeding ticket attorney referrals for Brooklyn, NY. I thank in advance everyone who provides any input.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Time to lawyer up and start using CM's. I've seen CO Ka with a pinpoint of lidar on the belt, so odds are it could have been easily avoided with an RD.

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely get a lawyer for that one. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aw man sorry to hear :/ she got hit with either constant on radar (any detector would help) or lidar. Getting a set of TMGs for the front would be enough for her

I might have seen one lawyer recommended recently in the tri-state section on another forum. I'll check back

MakeChaiNotWar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to have a name of lawyers, areas they serve and their rates on this site?

leesrt

Mature Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The LEO has to put the method used to attain the speed on the ticket. Otherwise how do you defend yourself in court? A month from now that cop is not going to remember that exact ticket or whether he used laser or radar. You also need that to request records on the speed detection method like calibration date, log showing it was calibration checked that day, jurisdiction showing he's authorized to use that device on that highway, etc...

If you want to go the easy route you can plead No Lo and just pay the fine with no points.

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The belt is popular with lidar, it could have been anything. I usually handle the nyc cases myself but i do know a lawyer that might be able to help you.

Always get a lawyer that knows the judges etc (dont go randomly looking).

Last edited:

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The LEO has to put the method used to attain the speed on the ticket. Otherwise how do you defend yourself in court? A month from now that cop is not going to remember that exact ticket or whether he used laser or radar. You also need that to request records on the speed detection method like calibration date, log showing it was calibration checked that day, jurisdiction showing he's authorized to use that device on that highway, etc...
I saw a few posts from NY members who have fought tickets and NY doesn't care about calibration issues at least with NYSP. @Qui-Gon @oldcelt

2. The way to do this, go to the Brooklyn Traffic Violations Bureau office or have her go (and yes you can do this today). This is where they have traffic court. Go to the area where they have the trial rooms for traffic cases (usually youll see a list of names of people who have cases that day on the outside). There you will find at least 3-4 LOCAL lawyers who frequent that traffic court and know the judges there. Pick one of them or else your just wasting your time and money.

Its easy to spot them, they are usually well dressed and just roam around the trial room areas waiting for their clients. People from nyc dont respect that court hence are all in mostly street clothes so its easy to pick them out. Just ask for a business card and they will smile (they want business).
Much appreciated! Will take note of this if the day ever comes.

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw a few posts from NY members who have fought tickets and NY doesn't care about calibration issues at least with NYSP. @Qui-Gon @oldcelt

Much appreciated! Will take note of this if the day ever comes.
The NY courts will not allow you to argue any aspect of any problem regarding speed measuring equipment. That's based on the premise that the LEO has been trained to accurately estimate speed and did so independently of the use of speed measuring device to "confirm" the LEO's estimate. Which, as we all know, is a crock. What you CAN argue is the LEO's line of sight, differences in training scenarios from those at the time of the citation, etc. IOW, you can argue that the LEO made a mistake. Best left to an attorney if you lack court experience. Requesting long form (written)supporting deposition will motivate most LEOs and courts to offer you a better (no or reduced points) plea deal, as they don't want to bother writing it all out under discovery.

Arcome

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this brother. Definitely lawyer up and find someone local. I’ve had good luck with AVVO for finding lawyers. Interview them about their expected outcome. They can’t make promises but they generally have a good idea.

Every encounter (except one) I’ve had in NYC in the last two years of having CMs has been with a LEO that had their CO KA going even if using LIDAR. After getting rolling IO’d in the south this summer I’m grateful for my lazy a$$ NYPD officers. :)

The one exception was a port authority cop that hit me with LIDAR while going up the top level ramp of the Verrazano. Was stuck behind a LLH truck and pulled into the middle lane to pass. Couldn’t see the LEO due to the incline and the highway sign hiding him. I know they like that spot but didn’t care. LLHs piss me off. Thank you ALP.

Good luck and may the CM gods strike down on the officer with a transfer to a far away land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yul711

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Requesting long form (written)supporting deposition will motivate most LEOs and courts to offer you a better (no or reduced points) plea deal, as they don't want to bother writing it all out under discovery.
I thought this request may piss LEO off enough to make sure he shows up on the court date and comes prepared.

oldcelt

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought this request may piss LEO off enough to make sure he shows up on the court date and comes prepared.
Only if their supervisor forces them to write it. It also is a treasure trove of details for an attorney to challenge under cross examination if the LEO does show up..................another reason they are generally reluctant to write one, although the main factor is laziness.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
i used to get off tickets because the supporting depositions were not provided in time..., but then again, went to court with a friend where the judge said "the trooper will write one up for you now if you want".... but the law.... "APPEAL ME (said the judge)"...

Nowadays, the troopers write the supporting depositions on the spot, and are provided on the tickets on the spot....

yul711

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When is the best or proper/required time to request the LEO's deposition: within some period from summons date or much after when all court date postponements are exhausted?

Arcome

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
i used to get off tickets because the supporting depositions were not provided in time..., but then again, went to court with a friend where the judge said "the trooper will write one up for you now if you want".... but the law.... "APPEAL ME (said the judge)"...

Nowadays, the troopers write the supporting depositions on the spot, and are provided on the tickets on the spot....
WOW! Did you appeal? I would’ve had to just in spite as well as; filed some type of complaint. Then move so I never have to risk being in their court again lol.

Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

oldcelt

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not the long form deposition

the judge said "the trooper will write one up for you now if you want".
And then you ask for a continuance so you (or your attorney) has time to examine the deposition

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not the long form deposition
I'll ask my buddy if he still has a copy of his ticket... I could have sworn the supporting deposition request was checked and a separate page computer print out included the supporting deposition. the traffic stop lasted longer as the trooper sat in the car to write it up.... it included "mis" quoting my friend saying "I was speeding" instead of his reply to why I pulled you over "Was I speeding?", but by the time he read the deposition, the tropper had left....
Post automatically merged:

And then you ask for a continuance so you (or your attorney) has time to examine the deposition
If it were my ticket, I would have, but my buddy didnt want the hassle...

Last edited:

oldcelt

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
fwiw, long form supporting deposition averages around 3 pages (handwritten)

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
NYC traffic court works differently than any other area in the country. Get a lawyer, I've seen many just delay the trial date for as long as possible

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sightline