Setting up Profiles and Custom Sweeps in JBV1 ("Unknown" files being generated)

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sometimes people have questions about this process and it can be a little confusing if you haven't previously figured out the concepts with Valentine's V1 Connection or YaV1 in the past. JBV1 handles it better, but there's still indications that the information I hope to provide is not known well enough. I'm going to try and keep this short so bear with me if I use verbal shortcuts. Here we go! :)

Three things to keep in mind:
The V1 does not always accept a profile or custom sweep the way you have it defined. Don't fight it.
Profiles and Custom Sweeps are two independent parts of the V1 environment that gets stored in the V1.
JBV1 settings are a third layer on top of the V1 environment but none of those settings are stored in the V1.

The easiest way to describe what happens is to use the example of a 35.5 Custom Sweep. Typically we will want to define a 35.5 sweep as 35.400 to 35.600, but the V1 wants to use 35.379 to 35.615 instead. You have to let the V1 choose it's values and incorporate that into your Custom Sweep file. Not doing this is how some of the "Unknown" files are generated as the V1 writes it's values into JBV1. If you don't have a file that matches 100% what the V1 has stored in memory, it will write a new "Unknown" file. This is true of both Profiles and Custom Sweeps.

Another example: If you don't have a Profile file where you have X-band turned off, and you turn off X-band using JBV1, the V1 will write a new "Unknown" Profile file that includes the setting of X-band being turned off.
The trick is to simply rename the resulting "Unknown" file to something that means something to you. You might have a Profile named "All bands" and a new one that you rename from Unknown to "No X-band".

JBV1 uses a Profile and a separate Custom Sweep file to your advantage. You can mix-and-match these files. You can change only the Custom Sweeps or only the Profile. Multiple Profiles can use the same Custom Sweep file or you might only have one Profile and multiple Custom Sweeps.

Auto Profile Override is a feature of JBV1 that changes your profiles automatically as you cross borders of cities, counties, or states. To use this feature you have to have at least two profiles.

An example: In my home state of NC, there's not supposed to be any X-band use. For all of NC, I have a profile where X-band is disabled. When I travel to either TN or SC (3-4 days each week) I sometimes encounter areas where X-band might still be in use. Auto Profile Override is set to switch to my "including X-band" profile when I enter those counties where X-band might be used.
When I exit those specific counties, it reverts to the profile I was using before. Note that I made no mention of changing Custom Sweeps here. For these three states, my Custom Sweeps are the same so I don't have these profiles changing those sweeps. Furthermore, for most of the US, my two Profile files and single Custom Sweep set handles almost any area. Still with me so far? The only thing I'm changing is whether X-band is enabled or not.

Now, let me throw a new state in there. KY presents different challenges so I have both a Profile and a Custom Sweep just for KY and the increase in Ka segments that I want to detect. Auto Profile Override changes profiles, not Custom Sweeps. But, inside a profile you can define a Custom Sweep file to be loaded at the same time. Here's how it works:
Auto Profile Override detects that I've crossed the KY boundary and loads my "Kentucky 12458" profile (which is nearly identical to my K and Ka profile file) which in turn loads my "KY 1-2 4-5 8" Custom Sweep file. For those keeping track, I now have two Custom Sweeps files and three Profile files for my examples.

The general idea is to create a common set of files for nearly everywhere you drive and then address the odd places specifically. For all the 17 states and multiple counties I've driven in during the last 21 months (and 100,000+ miles) with JBV1, I only have two Custom Sweeps files (One for KY and the other for everywhere else), and 4 Profile files that I've needed. Most of the changes are minor between them all. (K and Ka only with K-muting, K and Ka only without muting, X and K and Ka with K-muting, etc.)

Last edited:

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Talk about a handful.... @Bloovy One

Yeah, to get a nice platform like JBV1 (@JohnBoy ) and the changes that does occur (not slamming), getting an app Like this to provide the intended means to add to an RD. can take a time to setup right, though of past JBV1 with Default and proper learning, as was YaV1, does provide a 99.98% near perfect world to the users of a transceiving world to tame a Radar Locator (right term for a V1) , and give that Driver that curve of Threat world one can see. As long as Drivers across the Asphalt/Cement/Sand/Trail induce/indicates a threat... an nice package to alert a Driver to a slowdown or citation. If and when that V1 3.0 to the world of intro with added threat protection, this a necessary package one should not be without.

If added to Rad.... world, and nice to create a com of the V1 and Rad.... that would be nice for social communications.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ducaiti999