Level placement of R1/3

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
When placing the detector on the windshield I’ve been using the seam down the side of the detector to check that it’s level. The bottom of the detector seems to be lower towards the screen end, so if I check level using the bottom it shows that I’m angled up while the seam says level. Are others using the seam or bottom to level the detector?

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Get out of the car and look at it from the sides. Its deceiving for many reasons when its mounted!

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Get out of the car and look at it from the sides. Its deceiving for many reasons when its mounted!
I feel like I’m able to verify it’s straight from outside but I can’t really see that it’s level because my A pillar blocks the side view.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
The slope on the bottom does make these things look deceiving when trying to level them!

I personally have the top level with the headliner, since mine is right up against the headliner. Doing this makes the bottom look like it's sloping down towards the screen. Is this the "correct" way to do it? I don't know. But it has always worked for me.

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The slope on the bottom does make these things look deceiving when trying to level them!

I personally have the top level with the headliner, since mine is right up against the headliner. Doing this makes the bottom look like it's sloping down towards the screen. Is this the "correct" way to do it? I don't know. But it has always worked for me.
That’s where mine is too. That slope is what made me wonder if it’s correct. I guess I’d have to take it apart to know for sure. Even if it’s off it can’t be more than a couple of degrees.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
That’s where mine is too. That slope is what made me wonder if it’s correct. I guess I’d have to take it apart to know for sure. Even if it’s off it can’t be more than a couple of degrees.
Honestly, mine is also sorta broken on the inside, so it doesn't sit perfectly straight on the mount either. With both these variables, it still works reliably

beo111

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have the Max 360c and I level it from the bottom of the detector because it's flat.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Give it your best shot and don't worry about it. Won't make that much difference.
Yes, if it looks reasonably level to the eye then any performance difference you're going to see from further adjustments is not going to be noticeable. Detectors have been known to pick up signals from miles away while sitting in a bag on the floor of the car, and I believe the tested range reduction from a 45 degree tilt down is less than 50%. A few degrees is not going to matter at all. (Jammer heads are a different story.)

midd

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Agreed. Radar is constantly bouncing off objects. So it won't matter if your RD is not perfectly level.

Yes, if it looks reasonably level to the eye then any performance difference you're going to see from further adjustments is not going to be noticeable. Detectors have been known to pick up signals from miles away while sitting in a bag on the floor of the car, and I believe the tested range reduction from a 45 degree tilt down is less than 50%. A few degrees is not going to matter at all. (Jammer heads are a different story.)

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds like I should be fine with my current method. Thanks for putting my mind at ease! :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcmackintosh