BMW M340i ALP placement (mesh grill with active shutters)

licwid

Advanced User
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to place my jammer heads given the mesh grill and active shutters behind it. I would like to keep the car as stock looking as possible, thus keeping the active shutters IF I can. If absolutely necessary I can remove the upper active grill assembly. I am not interested in coding, unplugging, or pulling a fuse as my car is still under warranty and a tech could easily remedy those and mess up my heads.

The grill parts highlighted in red below contain the active shutters about 3/8" behind the mesh grill, and thus aren't an option for the install. I can cut into the grills above/below the red areas and put the heads in horizontally.
active_shutters.png

Thanks to some local members, I was able to test the two configurations below today. Neither performed well at all against dragoneye (latest firmware as of this morning), PTs everywhere. It was JTG against the Truspeed (sxb?). For the red configuration, I can move the TX up 3inches (as illustrated), and possibly get about 1" of additional separation on the RX heads. Any idea if that would be helpful?

The 3 RX green setup did not work well at all and barely detected that I was being targeted (pro mode). I think the heads are just too low. The heads were even 17" apart and from the edges of the car.

jammer_measurements.png

Any input would be appreciated. Trying to decide what to tweak before being tested again. Thanks!

Bingly

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You can’t disconnect one flap?

licwid

Advanced User
Reaction score
You can’t disconnect one flap?
I have not seen an easy way to do this, but I've not had the shutters off the car. The shutters have a bar over the top with a pin in them, and I see no way of removing this pin. I also did not see a way to remove the pin on the other side of each shutter that anchors into the grill.

Bingly

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have not seen an easy way to do this, but I've not had the shutters off the car. The shutters have a bar over the top with a pin in them, and I see no way of removing this pin. I also did not see a way to remove the pin on the other side of each shutter that anchors into the grill.
Thinking outside of the box here but what if you mounted them on the inside of the flap?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking outside of the box here but what if you mounted them on the inside of the flap?
I could be wrong, but I think that the problem is that the car decides when it opens the flaps and when it closes them. If the engine is cold, it closes them to help the engine warm up faster. Imagine in a cold temperature environment, they could remain closed for a while. It wouldn't be much fun to be wondering if your flaps were open or closed when you spot a LEO ahead possibly shooting you.

6thgear

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
By chance, did you try a combo of both set-ups? TX head at red center marking, RX’s heads at the lower green markings? Not an ALP user, from my reading it would seem as if the green mark for the TX would be too low and cause interference.

BTW - nice car!

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@PY004 in all your days of shooting ALP septs any thoughts? I would have thought the TX setup would have been decent... maybe a few close range PT's but thats not sounding like what they got.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
You can use the TX Sensor Horizontal choose a side closest to center and notch the louver around it. TX Sensor is very small and dealers do it all the time. You can also mount the RX Sensors verticle in the left and right of the grill.

licwid

Advanced User
Reaction score
By chance, did you try a combo of both set-ups? TX head at red center marking, RX’s heads at the lower green markings? Not an ALP user, from my reading it would seem as if the green mark for the TX would be too low and cause interference.

BTW - nice car!
Thanks! The green was a 3 RX setup. Red was 2RX 1 TX

You can use the TX Sensor Horizontal choose a side closest to center and notch the louver around it. TX Sensor is very small and dealers do it all the time. You can also mount the RX Sensors verticle in the left and right of the grill.
Thanks. I for some reason hadn't considered just notching them... /facepalm

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101