Rainx

Dragons

Breathing fire
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was at my local auto store today, I spotted a product I haven't thought about since I lived in Canada - RainX

SCA_225395_hi-res.jpg

It was on special today, in Canada I used to apply it right before the start of winter, then again at the start of the next summer.

Anyone else use it?

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Still super common here. Every store has it. Walmart, Cambodian Tire, Lowes, Lordco.

I use it but it rains enough here that it goes away pretty quick with the wipers on too.

System

PSL ÷ 2
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use it religiously paired with a full wand wax at least once a week from the car wash. No matter how much it's raining I don't have to turn my wipers on and my blades are lasting nearly 2 years now. Absolutely brilliant product

JayDog

Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I like it not only for the rain but seems to help a little in making the Chicago ice slide off easier during scraping.

poolmon

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I applied Rainx several years back but unfortunately my windshield had 120,000 miles of hi-speed pits (not really noticeable until driving into the setting sun). The Rainx got into the thousands of microscopic pits and caused streaking whenever my wipers were on.

Had to call the company to find out how to get it off. They said only way was through mechanical wiping (lots of wiping over time which took forever). Probably works great on good windshields, just be sure you don't have a lot of microscopic pits, or it may be an issue for you too as it was for me.

Last edited:

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I use this one near religiously in all my cars. Works great in most scenarios, just that mist or tire mist it does not work too well with, since it is a light water droplet the air doesn't get to move easily.
1575818253372.png

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to use RainX. But then I moved over to aquapel since it lasts a lot longer than RainX (But not as effective as RainX though).

RainX also caused issues with streaking even on new windshields and wiper judders. Aquapel causes my wipers to judder also but I only have to deal with it for 2 or 3 months until Aquapel wears out enough it doesn't judder anymore.

As for the RainX windshield wiper fluid, I cannot use that as it damages the fluid level sensor for some reason. Learned it the hard way after 3 failures over a month.

RussS

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use this one near religiously in all my cars. Works great in most scenarios, just that mist or tire mist it does not work too well with, since it is a light water droplet the air doesn't get to move easily.
View attachment 136166
Awesome stuff. I always use it in all vehicles. I stopped using the RainX only spray. Just spray and wipe with wipers to apply.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I applied Rainx several years back but unfortunately my windshield had 120,000 miles of hi-speed pits (not really noticeable until driving into the setting sun). The Rainx got into the thousands of microscopic pits and caused streaking whenever my wipers were on.

Had to call the company to find out how to get it off. They said only way was through mechanical wiping (lots of wiping over time which took forever).
What about this stuff? https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/g4-nanotech-glass-polish This removes that residue that wipers put on your window that makes it where you can see the path cleared by the wiper blade when the wipers are off the the window is wet. I wonder if it would also remove the RainX.

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
IME RainX can make your wipers chatter as it wears off. This does not always happen, but I have seen it with some windshields and wipers. If you reapply it often enough that should take care of the problem though.

GTO_04

eric15178

If you ain't 1st you're last-Ricky Bobby
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I remember using it back in the day and it worked good. I used to see how long i could go without using my wipers on the highway. After seeing the posts about it making the sandblasted windshields streak, ill pass since mines noticeable in the sun.
My wipers do fine. Thinking bout it now, are my wipers better or just no product on the glass except wax twice a year? Maybe both

6thgear

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
As for the RainX windshield wiper fluid, I cannot use that as it damages the fluid level sensor for some reason. Learned it the hard way after 3 failures over a month.

Out of Curiosity what vehicle do you have and what color RainX washer fluid did you have your failures with?
I ask because I have been using it for years in my vehicles without issue. I use the green (branded bug remover) during the warmer months and then in December I use the the orange winter mix to help with the morning freeze I occasionally experience.

Regarding use, I generally use the spray treatment about once a year and then rely on the washer fluid to keep things optimized.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
been a customer since the early 80's... but i quickly realized this was simply a wax suspended in alcohol so now i just wax my windows. i still keep a bottle on hand and the wipes are handy for travel.

Last edited:

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Still super common here. Every store has it. Walmart, Cambodian Tire, Lowes, Lordco.

I use it but it rains enough here that it goes away pretty quick with the wipers on too.
One coat fills the glass pores
2 coats covers it
3 coats adds the strength against rain and wipers for months

Make sure each coat is thick with 20% water and completely dry between coats

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of Curiosity what vehicle do you have and what color RainX washer fluid did you have your failures with?
I ask because I have been using it for years in my vehicles without issue. I use the green (branded bug remover) during the warmer months and then in December I use the the orange winter mix to help with the morning freeze I occasionally experience.

Regarding use, I generally use the spray treatment about once a year and then rely on the washer fluid to keep things optimized.
The orange one causes the issue. The sensors fail in like a week when I use it in my car. Then it will permanently display low water fluid on my dash.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I damaged the sensor in two different BMWs before I realized what was causing the issue. Besides damaging the sensors, it also clogged up the nozzles on both cars as well. I finally realized what was causing me the problems, and switched back to regular wiper fluid. No issues since then.

If you drive a newer BMW or Mercedes, don’t use the RainX wiper fluid in your car. Hand-wipes or spray-on for application of RainX is fine. Just don’t use the wiper fluid.

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Like thesilverbullet I normally just spray wax my windows when I’m cleaning my car, has a similar effect and I don’t have to pay for it.
Sometimes when it’s wearing off it leaves a bit of residue though.

RussS

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Exactly. I damaged the sensor in two different BMWs before I realized what was causing the issue. Besides damaging the sensors, it also clogged up the nozzles on both cars as well. I finally realized what was causing me the problems, and switched back to regular wiper fluid. No issues since then.

If you drive a newer BMW or Mercedes, don’t use the RainX wiper fluid in your car. Hand-wipes or spray-on for application of RainX is fine. Just don’t use the wiper fluid.
Good to know. Thanks for the warning!

6thgear

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

How long where you using for before you noticed an issue? I used it for 3 yrs on my F30 and now 1.5yrs on my F36. You have me concerned. I mainly use the green formula and haven’t had any issues.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

What substance is in there that's causing the issue? Looks like it's made of the same stuff that most washer fluid is made of (methanol).

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sightline