Won's Thinkware U1000 Thread

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I will keep watch of this thread and your experiences with it Patton. I am leaning towards a Viofo A129 Pro right now for my next camera but I always thought the U1000 produced good quality video and looked nice. My 900s has been rock solid for me in terms of surviving the summer and always on parking mode. The video quality however leaves a lot to be desired.
Well to be honest I wouldn’t consider changing from BlackVue to Thinkware if I wasn’t having such problems with overheating on moderately hot days here in Florida. I would just be upgrading to the 900X. I don’t believe for a second the 900X Will do any better in the heat then the 900S. I sure wish there was more input here.

chapRD

Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well to be honest I wouldn’t consider changing from BlackVue to Thinkware if I wasn’t having such problems with overheating on moderately hot days here in Florida. I would just be upgrading to the 900X. I don’t believe for a second the 900X Will do any better in the heat then the 900S. I sure wish there was more input here.
We don't get Florida hot but had days in the high 90s this summer. I have ceramic tint on my entire car including windshield but I'm sure that only does so much after sitting for hours in the heat. I do run my camera 24/7 and it never shut off. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
We don't get Florida hot but had days in the high 90s this summer. I have ceramic tint on my entire car including windshield but I'm sure that only does so much after sitting for hours in the heat. I do run my camera 24/7 and it never shut off. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Do you have it hooked up to the cloud when you have your car parked in the direct sunlight on 84° day or higher? If you don’t then you won’t know if the camera shuts off. If it is connected to the cloud and shuts off due to overheating it will tell you via instant notification. For me it has to be in direct sunlight. Then it will shut off. Even on a very hot day if it’s overcast, i.e. blocking the sun, it won’t overheat and shut off.

chapRD

Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you have it hooked up to the cloud when you have your car parked in the direct sunlight on 84° day or higher? If you don’t then you won’t know if the camera shuts off. If it is connected to the cloud and shuts off due to overheating it will tell you via instant notification. For me it has to be in direct sunlight. Then it will shut off. Even on a very hot day if it’s overcast, i.e. blocking the sun, it won’t overheat and shut off.
Yeah, I have it hooked up to the cloud and it connects to the WiFi at work during the day. That's the only time my car is parked outside for extended periods of time. The sun is direct for awhile but does have trees shading it depending on the time of the day. Maybe that is making the difference.

chapRD

Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here is the mounting position for my camera
IMG_4791.jpg

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Won Hunglo

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since everyone or almost everyone on this forum has a dash cam I really wish this sub forum had more participation. We could learn a lot about these things together and perhaps even help manufacturers improve their products just like we do with detectors and jammers. @Won Hunglo I still would like to learn more about your experiences with this camera. As I pointed out this reviewer had nothing but positive things to say about it. Now of course sometimes these guys are paid to do that so believe me I take his review with a grain of salt. I value your opinion much more. My U1000 is waiting for me when I get home. I think I’m going to plug it into my cigarette lighter and just use the front camera for a week and test it next to my 900S. But I still would like to get your opinion on the cloud and using the cloud. Also it appears the video quality is much higher with this camera then it’s other cloud competitors.
The difference. I paid retail for mine. His was supplied by the manufacture to be reviewed.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The difference. I paid retail for mine. His was supplied by the manufacture to be reviewed.
I agree with you. It’s why I would like to hear more from you on this camera. Even Blackboxmycar says it’s the best 4K camera with cloud capabilities on the market.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
On the bright side, it lived through Texas heat without shutting down all summer.
Glad to hear it's working for you even in hot temperatures.
But the bottom line is this thing produces turd quality videos for such a huge camera.
What are you comparing it to? Compared to other dashcams, I've found the U1000 to be one of the very best around. At the same time, my GoPros blow away any dashcam I've ever compared them to. The difference is pretty noticeable. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are.
Software struggles with the large files.
Struggles how? My older laptop got bogged down with 4K video from the DR900S and I upgraded to a faster one to be able to handle 4K. It was also great since I spend so much time shooting and editing 4K now so if you're finding 4K to play slowly, it may be a computer thing. Does it play smoother in VLC or at lower resolution? Does it play fine when you upload to YouTube?
Parking mode sucks at best.
Sucks how? This is an area where Thinkware really shines. There's a few things I prefer about Blackvue's parking mode, specifically its spoken event notifications, but if you're looking for good parking mode, Thinkware has one of the best options out there. Depending on your expectations and what you're wanting though, even that may not be sufficient so I'm curious about what you're wanting that the U1000 didn't provide.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

What are you comparing it to? Compared to other dashcams, I've found the U1000 to be one of the very best around. At the same time, my GoPros blow away any dashcam I've ever compared them to. The difference is pretty noticeable. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are.

Struggles how? My older laptop got bogged down with 4K video from the DR900S and I upgraded to a faster one to be able to handle 4K. It was also great since I spend so much time shooting and editing 4K now so if you're finding 4K to play slowly, it may be a computer thing. Does it play smoother in VLC or at lower resolution? Does it play fine when you upload to YouTube?

Sucks how? This is an area where Thinkware really shines. There's a few things I prefer about Blackvue's parking mode, specifically its spoken event notifications, but if you're looking for good parking mode, Thinkware has one of the best options out there. Depending on your expectations and what you're wanting though, even that may not be sufficient so I'm curious about what you're wanting that the U1000 didn't provide.
Ariel it’s my understanding the Thinkware will tell you the amount of impacts during the notifications while starting your car versus BlackVue only tells you that you had an (1) impact and not how many. To me this is crucial because if you open up your trunk before getting in your car that will count as 1 impact with BlackVue. So if you got hit also you will not know. But with the Thinkware if you open up your trunk first and you got hit before it will say you had two impacts.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score

^this post brought to you by Thinkware.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ariel it’s my understanding the Thinkware will tell you the amount of impacts during the notifications while starting your car versus BlackVue only tells you that you had an (1) impact and not how many. To me this is crucial because if you open up your trunk before getting in your car that will count as 1 impact with BlackVue. So if you got hit also you will not know. But with the Thinkware if you open up your trunk first and you got hit before it will say you had two impacts.
Pros and cons to both.

Blackvue made a change to ignore any impacts within 3 minutes of starting your car and driving away. This way it filters out any trunks or doors closing. If you get in your car and sit on your phone for a while, then yeah your trunk impact will trigger a spoken notification.

Thinkware tells you how many impacts you have which sounds great on paper, but they also keep talking and telling you how many motion recordings there were, dashcam starting, GPS connected, cloud connected, and all this other nonsense. It's an incredibly (stupidly) chatty startup experience and there's no way to say "Just tell me how many impacts. Don't tell me every time you connect to GPS." My mom's car got hit while parked the other day and because I had disabled the audio altogether, we had no idea. It was only when I was scrolling through parking mode video clips while prepping for a review that I saw the event on the dashcam. I really wish Thinkware would give us more granular control over which things it tells us about the way Blackvue does.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep. Every positive R7 post I share is brought to you by Uniden. Every positive ALP post is brought to you by AntiLaser. Every positive V1 post is brought to you by Valentine. Anytime someone says something good, myself included, we are automatically sponsored. :p

Dave3006

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Has anyone used the U1000 OBD connecter Cable?

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Pros and cons to both.

Blackvue made a change to ignore any impacts within 3 minutes of starting your car and driving away. This way it filters out any trunks or doors closing. If you get in your car and sit on your phone for a while, then yeah your trunk impact will trigger a spoken notification.

Thinkware tells you how many impacts you have which sounds great on paper, but they also keep talking and telling you how many motion recordings there were, dashcam starting, GPS connected, cloud connected, and all this other nonsense. It's an incredibly (stupidly) chatty startup experience and there's no way to say "Just tell me how many impacts. Don't tell me every time you connect to GPS." My mom's car got hit while parked the other day and because I had disabled the audio altogether, we had no idea. It was only when I was scrolling through parking mode video clips while prepping for a review that I saw the event on the dashcam. I really wish Thinkware would give us more granular control over which things it tells us about the way Blackvue does.
Oh man. I thought they fixed that chatty crap. You should be able to pick options as to what it tells you during start up. The only thing I care about is the amount of impacts. What the hell is the matter with engineers? You would think they could fix this by making the dumbass who wrote the software that way sit in a car through about 500 straight start ups and let him listen to his own creation. After that he would probably write the software to correct this insanity with a firmware update that very day. LOL
Post automatically merged:

I don’t even know what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Totally joking about all the insinuations @Vortex gets when he talks about any product. Not trying to be taken seriously whatsoever.
Ah. Got it. He is one of the few people I totally trust doing reviews. It’s not that I don’t trust these guys on YouTube it’s just when they get the products for free I don’t believe they can give me their true opinion on something. Not 100% anyway. Maybe I’m wrong about that but it’s the way I feel.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I think there’s a lot of YouTubers who are extra positive because they get paid when people buy something, because they got something for free and want to keep getting free stuff, or whatever else. For that reason, every online reviewer I’ve spoken with gets the same “You must be paid/biased/sponsored!” thing no matter what they say, good or bad. It’s just a default knee-jerk response, especially when someone disagrees with you for whatever reason.

That said, I’ve noticed people praise you more when you say negative stuff because you’re honest and real (though you may be paid by the completion). If you’re mostly positive, people are more likely to accuse you of being paid by the company or to sell stuff, or simply a fanboy. So because you mostly get positive reinforcement for being negative, it’s easy to focus on the negative and eventually wind up hating what you review because “everything sucks.” :p

So it’s hard sometimes to stay positive and upbeat and still focus on both the good and bad things.

No matter you wanna review, someone people will like it, some won’t. Some people will have a great experience. Others will have the thing break on them. It’s hard to come up with a universally applicable conclusion, but oh well. :)

Last edited:

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I think there’s a lot of YouTubers who are extra positive because they get paid when people buy something, because they got something for free and want to keep getting free stuff, or whatever else. For that reason, every online reviewer I’ve spoken with gets the same “You must be paid/biased/sponsored!” thing no matter what they say, good or bad. It’s just a default knee-jerk response, especially when someone disagrees with you for whatever reason.

That said, I’ve noticed people praise you more when you say negative stuff because you’re honest and real (though you may be paid by the completion). If you’re mostly positive, people are more likely to accuse you of being paid by the company or to sell stuff. So because you mostly get positive reinforcement for being negative, it’s easy to focus on the negative and eventually wind up hating the industry because “everything sucks.” :p

So it’s hard sometimes to stay positive and upbeat and still focus on both the good and bad things.

No matter you wanna review, someone people will like it, some won’t. Some people will have a great experience. Others will have the thing break on them. It’s hard to come up with a universally applicable conclusion, but oh well. :)
People only get mad when they are attached to a brand that gets a negative review. It’s always about fanboyisum. I don’t really care about brands and only care about something that functions properly. Overtime I have gotten attached to brands that have functioned properly for me but if the product goes downhill or especially customer service I will dump them like a bad habit. I very much appreciate an honest review on anything so I can make the proper decision. I don’t have the time to learn the hard way about products. I would much rather have the pros and cons pointed out to me ahead of time.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh