PA: Anyone travel I80 often? Road quality report?

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, next week I'm going to be traveling from Columbus OH back to Boston. I've only traveled the Thruway (I90) in NYS in recent history for this journey. It's literally been decades since I've driven I80 thru PA. I've intentionally avoided that road due to bad memories/poor road surfaces. People tell me the road is vastly improved today. Is that the case? Thanks.

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't travel on it often but was on it this past summer. It was fine. Almost no enforcement on PA roads vs state troopers with radar and lidar on the NYS turnpike.

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Exadata

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you are away from any metropolitan area, don't rely on Waze when going through PA for police reports. If you have a CB while driving on a weekday (not so many trucks on a weekend) you will have to ask the truckers for reports as they only really care about traffic, DOT, weigh stations, and telling others to "Shut up, stupid". Remember to have a rabbit and don't zone out too much on the sections in the middle of nowhere.

I take all K band alerts seriously until I can verify it's someone else's BSM or a possible real threat on 80 &81. Remember, these guys are probably some of the best in the country with radar and I've found K band I/O in use more frequently than K C/O in the recent years.

Here are plenty of real life traps along 81 between Harrisburg and Scranton. https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/92263/

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you are away from any metropolitan area, don't rely on Waze when going through PA for police reports. If you have a CB while driving on a weekday (not so many trucks on a weekend) you will have to ask the truckers for reports as they only really care about traffic, DOT, weigh stations, and telling others to "Shut up, stupid". Remember to have a rabbit and don't zone out too much on the sections in the middle of nowhere.

I take all K band alerts seriously until I can verify it's someone else's BSM or a possible real threat on 80 &81. Remember, these guys are probably some of the best in the country with radar and I've found K band I/O in use more frequently than K C/O in the recent years.

Here are plenty of real life traps along 81 between Harrisburg and Scranton. https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/92263/
I would say that NC is probably better at I/O than PA

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys.

I was really curious about potholes and a generally bad road surface. I'll be in a car with lo-profile tires and am getting REALLY tired of bent wheels. Thanks.

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No issues come to mind, and I've driven basically the whole PA section of I-80 in the past 6 months. I don't remember any "real" construction zones either, but PA does love their "construction zones" with K-band drones, reduced speed limits, and barrels on the side of the highway. I can't say there were none of those. There's a bit of construction up near Cleveland before you get into PA as well, although i can't say for certain it's not finished. Got a ticket a year or so back with DragonCam. Watch out for those in construction zones in Ohio.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep a close eye on all k band alerts. I've been on the I80 a few times and have encountered PSP running C/O k band dug in deep in the treeline.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I-80 is fine, they did a lot of construction/road work about 10 years ago. I travel there two-three times per year (NYC-Erie)

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@V1Jake ,

... have encountered PSP running C/O k band dug in deep in the tree line.
^^We saw this exact setup yesterday. PA SP was backed into the woods in the center median, pretty much facing oncoming traffic straight on. I crested the hill and had a minor "oh, sh*t" moment. However, he appeared to be snoozing or reading and did not have radar on. Didn't even look up as we passed.

FWIW, even with the traffic volume at a modest level, people weren't marking any of these encounters we had in PA yesterday. Somewhat disappointing considering it was a nice day and bright sunshine. We only saw a couple LEOs in PA and half were with broken down vehicles. We did notice a complete drop of cell phone data for a stretch of highway.

Coming across I84, just over the Newburgh bridge (near that huge prison) there was a NYS trooper with CO Ka band and nobody had marked him. It was late in the afternoon, traffic volume was moderate/heavy ... seemed strange to me.

Only 2 LEOs early in the morning when we departed Columbus. They seemed to be hanging out, not much else.

Once again, minimal enforcement everywhere we traveled. Had a very brief Ka alert within a mile or two of entering PA. I have no idea what that source was.

Quality of the roads was pretty good. Most of PA was very good. I suspect it's been decades since I traversed I80. I always have bad memories of trying to get across that state while adhering to the absurd 55 mph PSL. Different game today and I didn't mind the crossing at all. Bright , sunny day and certainly some nice vistas.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
I have relatives in Clarion and State College, PA (both off I-80). The Interstate was in terrible shape 15 years ago. A huge amount of construction has been completed to repair the Interstate surface as well as the bridges. It is nothing like it used to be, it is now in fairly good overall shape.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the exact reason I started this thread: I only have memories of the previous condition of the roads and didn't want to subject the cars to it.

Had lunch in Bellafonte. Nice little town. We saw PA SP activity (multiple vehicles coming/going) as we sat and ate lunch.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@V1Jake ,

^^We saw this exact setup yesterday. PA SP was backed into the woods in the center median, pretty much facing oncoming traffic straight on. I crested the hill and had a minor "oh, sh*t" moment. However, he appeared to be snoozing or reading and did not have radar on. Didn't even look up as we passed.

FWIW, even with the traffic volume at a modest level, people weren't marking any of these encounters we had in PA yesterday. Somewhat disappointing considering it was a nice day and bright sunshine. We only saw a couple LEOs in PA and half were with broken down vehicles. We did notice a complete drop of cell phone data for a stretch of highway.

Coming across I84, just over the Newburgh bridge (near that huge prison) there was a NYS trooper with CO Ka band and nobody had marked him. It was late in the afternoon, traffic volume was moderate/heavy ... seemed strange to me.

Only 2 LEOs early in the morning when we departed Columbus. They seemed to be hanging out, not much else.

Once again, minimal enforcement everywhere we traveled. Had a very brief Ka alert within a mile or two of entering PA. I have no idea what that source was.

Quality of the roads was pretty good. Most of PA was very good. I suspect it's been decades since I traversed I80. I always have bad memories of trying to get across that state while adhering to the absurd 55 mph PSL. Different game today and I didn't mind the crossing at all. Bright , sunny day and certainly some nice vistas.
Appreciate the ride report. That is a bit weird no one had them reported. Usually they're reported asap. Good thing the one in the woods was sleeping!

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in my neck of the woods, I rarely get to report LEO because everyone beats me to it. I think I had three LEO reports yesterday. My weekly score card on Waze showed up this morning and said I helped 688 people over the past week with 78 "thanks" and 20 reports. Some of the stuff was a result of yesterday's 755 mile ride.
Post automatically merged:

One other minor issue for consideration. My son had his DFR7 and I brought my R3 along for the ride. He recently hard-wired a connection for his new DFR7 to a source in the overhead panel. There's something very funky about the +12V wire he chose and the R3 does not like it at all. When the R3 is connected to his wiring effort, it power cycles constantly, and is, of course, non-functional. It does some really strange things and once it settles down, only part of the display is illuminated and the rest is dark. Very odd. The DFR7 looks like it's working as expected, but he reports it's doing some very odd things which I can't explain away.

I set the display on the DFR7 to show voltage and it shows right around 14.8V most of the time. I got lucky and he still had the OE power cord in the car so we could fly with that. Problem solved for the day, but I still need to figure out what's going on with the +12V wire he selected.

Last edited:

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Traveled NYC to I-79 (Exit 19A) Saturday afternoon, on I-80.

At least two LEOs in NJ, somewhere West of Patterson, Eastbound lane, on Ka, 34.718 (identical to the last digit, a dozen or so miles appart). And another one on 34.77x something. Cars were labeled NJ State Trooper I believe.

A few stationary speed signs on K in Pennsylvania.

Road surface good, a bit wavy maybe (my tires have never been rotated so the vibrate a bit too, but they seemed to especially dislike some road sections where it felt like I have unbalanced tires above 80mph.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, made this trip again (Boston > Columbus > south IL) a couple of days ago. I'm starting to like I80 thru PA. Some great views, road quality is quite good and virtually no enforcement again - - seems like a dream-come-true setup. We literally saw one trooper in PA, unmarked on VVaze, on the other side of the road. Very uneventful (again), loads of truck traffic thru the heartland! We saw a trooper with someone in OH over on the side of the road. We certainly witnessed troopers hanging in the turnouts in the median, but no exciting tales of lidar or I/O radar. I'm starting to miss the action that y'all seem to see on a regular basis.

I still witness far too many drivers camped in the fast lane and never move. Road quality in IN is not nice. Virtually no snow to be seen anywhere. Farmers' fields in IL all under water. Ohh, we stopped at the Summit Racing store in OH. DEFINITELY worth checking out and it's huge!
Post automatically merged:

One other thing I noticed when entering IN from Ohio, there's an array of cameras on a post right at the border on I70. I assume they're capturing everyone and everything entering the state...or, maybe it's traffic flow monitoring? I saw this same camera set up on the other side of the highway when exiting the state to capture the incoming flow of vehicles...

Last edited:

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I still witness far too many drivers camped in the fast lane and never move.
Huge pet-peeve of mine. 2 lane highway and (typically, sorry to stereotype) two big rigs side-by-side for miles. These drivers don't give a rat's azz who they're holding up. Soooooo frustrating.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette