R3/R1 speaker replacement

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
The speaker in my R3 went out several months back. I had contacted Uniden to find out if the sold a replacement speaker and was told they did not and that I had to send it in if I wanted it repaired and it would be their flat fee, don't remember but I think it was $99. Me being a cheap SOB, have been using a Beltronics external speaker to get by.

I finally broke down and purchased this one off of Ebay. Go it today and installed it. Seems to work. WRONG ohm rating though. Original is 16 ohm .5 watt, the replacement is 8 ohm 1 watt. Curious to see if it will last or kill my detector.

Last edited:

LuckyXII

Formerly known as JuniorIS350
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Much better than paying them $100 for a $10 speaker!

Andrew21

"All Blade, All The Time" RDForum Owner
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There's always a way around it. Find the speaker part number on the original and goto www.mauser.com. Look it up, thats how I did it with my redlines.

Andrew21

"All Blade, All The Time" RDForum Owner
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
pic of the original speaker? possible writing on the speaker?

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unison U2816514 16 ohm 0.5 watt 1.125" diameter or 28.575mm Don't have calipers handy.
Didn't find anything for this particular speaker in my brief search.

Uniden Speakerr (2).jpg

Last edited:

Lumberjackk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As a general rule you want the same ohm's or higher so you don't run the amplifier too hot and blow. Basically higher ohm's is more resistance and lower ohms is less. Going from 16 ohms to 8 ohms you doubled the wattage and got a 3db gain which may not be good for the amplifier in unit. Notice the specs on your new speaker match my calculation You could run two in series to give you proper ohms.

528hemi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
But how do I know it is the speaker and not the circuit?

528hemi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Plug some headphones or earbuds into the audio out socket and you should be able to hear the alert if the speaker is bad.

Got it will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. I forgot there was an audio out.

528hemi

528hemi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Curious to see what you find out.

Ear buds work fine..audio out is working. The RD speaker made a few chirp alerts and stopped during the self test. I am trying to locate my receipt. I think it is very close to being 1 year old.. I bought this on special online and trying t ofigure out where I got the (if I can say) deal ?

528hemi
Post automatically merged:

Ear buds work fine..audio out is working. The RD speaker made a few chirp alerts and stopped during the self test. I am trying to locate my receipt. I think it is very close to being 1 year old.. I bought this on special online and trying t ofigure out where I got the (if I can say) deal ?

528hemi

Lucky me. I was able to locate where I purchased the detector and l actually bought it on 2/5/2019 so still under warrante.

Thanks to all that

528hemi

Last edited:

Kzz1king

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
We could have traded! Mine speaker works great but no sound out of the ear buds which I need for the bike. Mine is going out tomorrow. Cool it happened now for you rather than right after the warranty ran out.

Wayne

528hemi
Post automatically merged:

Lucky me. I was able to locate where I purchased the detector and l actually bought it on 2/5/2019 so still under warrante.

Thanks to all that

528hemi

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks to all that

528hemi
Now just make sure not to procrastinate on sending it in. ;)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bas